NEWS

Australia in Sixth World Almanac

• 10 Replies

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« on: <09-06-11/0010:24> »
Not sure whether this should be in the errata or here - I thought here (hence me posting it here) as it is more of a discussion than an errata (although it does point out mistakes)

Okay, so I thought I'd have a look at this and see if it was any good. My first impression was "why is there so much missing?"

I was fine with Australia annexing PNG, but then there is no mention of PNG in the rest of the entry. Australia annexed it for it's resources - I would have thought that some mention of these resources might have been made.

Likewise, Australia and NZ combining seemed like a sensible idea (back in SR2 I did something similar when I set my game in Australia), but that's all that is said about NZ.

Tasmania is described as "not actually a part of Australia". This would read true if it meant "not actually a part of the Australian mainland", in the same was Hawaii is "not actually a part of the USA". Unless it is meant to imply that Australia has now given up the state of Tasmania because it has become too hard to handle. Personally, I find this an odd choice. Why annex PNG and side with NZ to then just ignore one of your own states because it's a little bit of a problem?

Canberra is part of the Australian Capital Territory (which isn't listed as a "state", but then, neither is NZ), and has been the capital of Australia, and the seat of government since they built the place back in the early part of the 20th century. The only reason the place exists was to stop Melbourne or Sydney being the capital of Australia. Mana storms or not, Canberra would still be the capital.

I know the Almanac isn't a complete guide to every nation, but I kinda expected a little bit more.

Apart from Target: Awakened Lands, is there any other book that deals with Australia (regardless of edition)?

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-06-11/0511:56> »
One thing in Target: Awakened Lands that annoyed me was the poster called 'One Nation'.  I suppose it was inevitable, attitudes like that getting an airing in 6W Oz, but still . . . it was another set of remarks that I wished I could respond to.

But then, I'm an Aussie, and I don't like the bad rep the (actual) One Nation Party gave us.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-06-11/0547:21> »
One thing in Target: Awakened Lands that annoyed me was the poster called 'One Nation'.  I suppose it was inevitable, attitudes like that getting an airing in 6W Oz, but still . . . it was another set of remarks that I wished I could respond to.

But then, I'm an Aussie, and I don't like the bad rep the (actual) One Nation Party gave us.

I thought it was quite a good stab at the ONP here in Australia - the writers of that section were friends of friends of mine - and they were/are fond of a bit tongue in cheek.

With the current debate about asylum seekers and the governments lack of a decent solution, I'm surprised Pauline Hanson hasn't made a few comments/got herself on the news. Surely she'd love the attention, and another shot at politics!

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-06-11/0623:51> »
Oh, well, on a tongue-in-cheek basis, I can take it LOL.

Martin Luther King, Memphis, 1968: "I have a dream!"
Pauline Hanson, Ipswich, 1997: "I have a fish shop!"

Must be room for only one red-head femme pollie in Oz politics  :o . . .

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <09-06-11/1242:41> »
IIRC, most of the Aussie section in T:AL was written by locals.  Martin Gotthard and Eleanor Holmes both are from Australia.

<shrug>

Bull

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-06-11/1323:53> »
I can understand taking a then-current attitude and projecting it to 6W.  Even more so if it was TIC.

Shame I don't know either of those folks.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <09-06-11/1743:50> »
Well, to be fair, it is a big island.

I mean country.

Continent?  Please put down the hammer.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-06-11/1909:37> »
IIRC, most of the Aussie section in T:AL was written by locals.  Martin Gotthard and Eleanor Holmes both are from Australia.

<shrug>

Bull

Yeah, I know they worked on T:AL - I guess Sixth World Almanac just condensed and repeated the info (and kinda missed the point on a couple of things).

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-07-11/0800:44> »
Well, to be fair, it is a big island.

I mean country.

Continent?  Please put down the hammer.

Thor shot now offline  ::)

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-07-11/1815:38> »
Canberra is part of the Australian Capital Territory (which isn't listed as a "state", but then, neither is NZ), and has been the capital of Australia, and the seat of government since they built the place back in the early part of the 20th century. The only reason the place exists was to stop Melbourne or Sydney being the capital of Australia. Mana storms or not, Canberra would still be the capital.

Okay, dug out my copy of T:AL, and it seems that Canberra is now the capital of New South Wales, as well as Australia, and the ACT seems to have disappeared. Makes more sense now that I have the full(er) story!

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #10 on: <09-08-11/0638:09> »

Okay, dug out my copy of T:AL, and it seems that Canberra is now the capital of New South Wales, as well as Australia, and the ACT seems to have disappeared. Makes more sense now that I have the full(er) story!
The only reason the ACT currently exists as a seperate Territory is to shut up NSW and Victoria arguing over Sydney and Melbourne

in the 6W, looks like NSW won o.O .... damned Cockroaches!
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law