NEWS

Alchemical preparations

• 3 Replies

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« on: <10-18-18/1141:11> »
I’m still trying to master the rules of alchemy.
If I used for a preparation a playing card and infused it with stunball, is the spell centered on the card or can it be launched if I’m holding the card?

If I put the card on someone’s desk and call the command word to set off the stunball I assumed it went off centered on the card like a grenade.
But if I’m holding the card can I cast it at range as normal?
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-18-18/1151:23> »
I’m still trying to master the rules of alchemy.
If I used for a preparation a playing card and infused it with stunball, is the spell centered on the card or can it be launched if I’m holding the card?

If I put the card on someone’s desk and call the command word to set off the stunball I assumed it went off centered on the card like a grenade.
But if I’m holding the card can I cast it at range as normal?

Depends on how you enchant the trigger.  Off the cuff, I believe I remember that the spell goes off on the person activating the card. If you want to put a hostile spell into a playing card, you have to get/trick the target into touching it.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-18-18/1155:03> »
Area spells are always centered on the object that was prepared.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <10-19-18/0849:12> »
Area spells are always centered on the object that was prepared.
Kiirnodel is correct. An AoE spell would go off around the object, affecting everything within range. Touch range spells affect the one touching the item. Line of Sight spells can be targeted if it is a Command trigger, otherwise it looks for the closest viable target.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters