NEWS

The Wage Slave's Guide to the Sixth World

• 202 Replies

Lusis

• Omae
« on: <09-04-13/2201:36> »
So, what's 2075 like to the average 99%er? Has it been written?
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <09-04-13/2318:49> »
Check out Attitude and Corporate Guide (specifically the section on the life of a wageslave). That'll give you most of what you need.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <09-05-13/0128:16> »
12-16 hour days.  Mandatory overtime.  Feeling bad if you neglect your Corp by spending time with your family.  Happy that you're not SINless.  Enjoying Simsense and staying high on Moodchips/Tripchips.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #3 on: <09-05-13/0131:20> »
12-16 hour days.  Mandatory overtime.  Feeling bad if you neglect your Corp by spending time with your family.  Happy that you're not SINless.  Enjoying Simsense and staying high on Moodchips/Tripchips.

Ahhh... its the life! 8)
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-05-13/0304:17> »
Enjoying Simsense and staying high on Moodchips/Tripchips.

What? No pimping of Sim Dreams and Nightmares?
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-05-13/0306:24> »
The average workday is 8 AM- 9 PM, with an unpaid lunch hour around 2 PM. You pull six of those a week, so you net 72 hours a week pay, plus let's say two weeks of unpaid vacation time. You make about 25,000Y a year, which is about 7Y an hour. Most people put in some unpaid overtime as well, to show loyalty to the corporation. Other people work two or three part-time jobs to make ends meet.

I don't think that there's anything official on a miniumum wage, other than the CAS, of all places, having a ludicrously low one.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-05-13/1327:59> »
I guess what I'd like to know is what does the the average corp serf see of major events? What do those not within the shadow of the big ten do day-to-day?

The sourcebooks mention that there are still entrepreneurs, which means a working class not connected to the corps. Who are they? 

Manyfist

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-05-13/1536:28> »
The average workday is 8 AM- 9 PM, with an unpaid lunch hour around 2 PM. You pull six of those a week, so you net 72 hours a week pay, plus let's say two weeks of unpaid vacation time. You make about 25,000Y a year, which is about 7Y an hour. Most people put in some unpaid overtime as well, to show loyalty to the corporation. Other people work two or three part-time jobs to make ends meet.

I don't think that there's anything official on a miniumum wage, other than the CAS, of all places, having a ludicrously low one.

Are these the plug-in and go type wage slaves? Or actual skilled labor?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-05-13/1614:44> »
Semi-skilled. The datapushers, the office people, the overall Salarymen of the world. If you work in a cubicle, that's your life. Small business breaks it up a bit, but 8-9 is the modern 9-5, the "normal workload" in the minds of the general populace.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #10 on: <09-05-13/1639:26> »
That's one of the reasons I run, the time, the free time. While the wageslaves are chained in their cubicles I'm reading classic books, I'm catching shows in theaters, and I'm going to museums. Are there lean times? Sure there are but I'd still rather have that than be stuck in some corp army or behind a desk somewhere.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-05-13/1658:37> »
Semi-skilled. The datapushers, the office people, the overall Salarymen of the world. If you work in a cubicle, that's your life. Small business breaks it up a bit, but 8-9 is the modern 9-5, the "normal workload" in the minds of the general populace.

The thing, is that truthfully this is just silly. Human nature is always going to find the best pay for the least work. I could see overtime, but a constant schedule like that is going to burn out your workers and drive them off to better pastures.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <09-05-13/1718:59> »
The thing, is that truthfully this is just silly. Human nature is always going to find the best pay for the least work. I could see overtime, but a constant schedule like that is going to burn out your workers and drive them off to better pastures.
Those are the better pastures.  There are a lot of worse jobs that might be hiring after you give them a resume in 6-12 months.

EDIT:  I'm homesick again, damnit.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #13 on: <09-05-13/1720:17> »
We really need to get CanRay a snow globe or something.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #14 on: <09-05-13/1725:41> »
There are no better pastures. If you are a Megacorp wageslave, you probaly consider yourself lucky. There's a wasteland out there full of predators and your place in the Corp keeps you away from it. If you walk, you're risking that the other corps will mark you as unruly and no one will hire you. Assuming you have no contract and can legally walk.

Also, the idea of work and time off kind of blends together in a wageslave's life. You might be pushing paper, but then suddenly be called out to a morale session, where you hear speeches and sing the Corporate song, etc. Your entertainments when you are relaxing have to be Corp approved, as does your spouse. And of course, all your friends are at the Corp, so you'd be leaving them, too.

The wage system its self is an illusion. You can't for example save up to buy a sportscar, and you don't need one anyway. Your wages and company benefits insure you get to live a better lifestyle than a Barrens rat, no more, no less. Part of this is done through uniformly low wages, partly through tricks like company stores and debts.

There's a perception that the Corp will take care of you if things go bad. This may not be true, but it's definitely believed. There is definitely a security advantage. And it's also a reliable lifestyle.

What options do you think an unskilled person has? The Corps work together to insure there are no other opportunities. Work in a Stuffer Shack. Turn into a Barrens Scavenger (With no actual skills, even including a familiarity with the Barrens) Turn to crime (With no actual criminal skills).