Shadowrun General > The Secret History

Damage from the Great Ghost Dance

(1/2) > >>

Theoretical Anomaly:
Is there any documentation of how many people died or what the devastation entailed when multiple volcanoes on the Pacific Northwest erupted as a result of the Great Ghost Dance?  Feel free to point me at which books to read!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
I don't think there is any meta, objective source.  Anything you like would find is subject to the unreliable narrator factor that is inherent to all in-universe sources.

As for specific numbers ever given... the only one coming to mind off the top of my head is the 40,000 that Alamos 40,000 claims died in Los Alamos.

CanRay:
The idea of even how to count the lives would be problematic as it is with any natural disaster (or unnatural disaster in this case.).

Do you include only the people killed directly by the volcanos?  How about the asthmatics that couldn't breathe the sooty air and was turned away from overwhelmed ERs?  How about the ones that starved/dehydrated to death because of the roads being out?  How many people died for lack of power, communication, so on, so forth.

That's why news reports go, "Deaths number in the..." as they can't give actual, concrete numbers, even well after the fact.

Theoretical Anomaly:

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---I don't think there is any meta, objective source.  Anything you like would find is subject to the unreliable narrator factor that is inherent to all in-universe sources.

As for specific numbers ever given... the only one coming to mind off the top of my head is the 40,000 that Alamos 40,000 claims died in Los Alamos.

--- End quote ---

LOL - clearly hyperbole, since Los Alamos and surrounding areas didn't have more than 20,000 people total, and it's highly unlikely every single person was killed.

Theoretical Anomaly:

--- Quote from: CanRay on ---The idea of even how to count the lives would be problematic as it is with any natural disaster (or unnatural disaster in this case.).

Do you include only the people killed directly by the volcanos?  How about the asthmatics that couldn't breathe the sooty air and was turned away from overwhelmed ERs?  How about the ones that starved/dehydrated to death because of the roads being out?  How many people died for lack of power, communication, so on, so forth.

That's why news reports go, "Deaths number in the..." as they can't give actual, concrete numbers, even well after the fact.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm not looking for exact numbers - a ballpark figure would be helpful.  Like, hundreds? Thousands?  Hundreds of thousands?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version