NEWS

[6e] Multiple Aptitudes

• 3 Replies

ammulder

• Newb
« on: <04-28-21/1624:33> »
Can you buy the Aptitude (Skill) quality multiple times (for separate skills)?  How about (Elemental) Resistance?  Other aptitudes such as Exceptional (Attribute) and Spirit/Sprit Affinity suggest or state they can be taken multiple times, but those first two don't.  I don't see a blanket "cannot take an aptitude multiple times unless stated otherwise" rule, so maybe yes?  But I wouldn't think you could take any of the "get an extra Edge die for X" attributes more than once to get multiple dice?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <04-28-21/1753:34> »
I mean, Incompetent explicitly says it can only be taken once, Exceptional restricts you to 'only once per attribute', so I'm leaning towards 'no problem'.

Extra Edge die? You mean extra Edge point? You're hardcapped at gaining +2, can't gain more than that.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

ammulder

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-28-21/1841:43> »
Yeah, I guess I meant, for instance, could you take everybody's favorite Analytical Mind (or Toughness) twice to earn two bonus Edge when you make a Logic-based test (or two bonus edge when you make a Damage Resistance test)?

I assume if you took e.g. both Aptitude (Firearms) and Aptitude (Close Combat) with your creation Karma then you could have one of those at level 7 and the other at level 6 and the rest of your skills at max level 5 as a starting character?

Not sure any of this is wise or realistic, just wondering whether it's legal.  :)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-28-21/1846:38> »
Note that any qualities that don't have levels that you take more than once (such as Aptitude for different skills) will each count as one of your 6 max.

If you're looking for a rule that prohibits taking Analytical Mind or Toughness twice... the "C'mon, don't be ridiculous" rule of common sense prohibits it ;)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.