NEWS

Runner's Black Book 2074

• 40 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #15 on: <10-12-12/1122:26> »
Clockwork's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. Namely, that he's a rigger. Riggers rely primarily on their drones to fight. Hackers, on the other hand, excel at taking over and turning a system against the user. Take, for example, the game that Netcat and Slamm-O! played in the SR4A book. Sure, a surveillance drone won't have the same kind of security as Clockwork's combat drones, but if they subvert a couple of his drones, and make them target the drones he still has control over, that negates Clockwork's biggest strength, and also serves as a distraction for someone else to get in close to his meat. That's just one scenario, obviously, but the point is that Clockwork is one person, and Netcat has allies, in the Matrix and out.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #16 on: <10-12-12/1156:59> »
I agree, though, that Netcat and Co. won't move to take down Clockwork (not counting if they happen to be on opposite sides of a job) unless he tries to sell out or kill Netcat or her kid again. Then the gloves will come off.

Wait. :o
AGAIN?
That's a thing that happened ONCE???

I would think that's one time too damn many. To me that's worth putting a special little file in one of his drones or emails that, when he opens it, puts a BTL of a snuff film of a guy being eaten by insect spirits on his system that plays whenever he does anything on his commlink or drones that could be considered as using it. Holy Mother, now I hate him even more!

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <10-12-12/1201:51> »
Seriously, when the hell are the Jackpointers going to get fed up with him and force feed him some well-deserved humble pie? Or a piping hot serving of lead?
You are not the only one to have asked this question. Not by a long shot.

I am infinitely glad that I am not the only one who thinks so. ;D

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <10-12-12/1207:09> »
I agree, though, that Netcat and Co. won't move to take down Clockwork (not counting if they happen to be on opposite sides of a job) unless he tries to sell out or kill Netcat or her kid again. Then the gloves will come off.

Wait. :o
AGAIN?
That's a thing that happened ONCE???

I would think that's one time too damn many. To me that's worth putting a special little file in one of his drones or emails that, when he opens it, puts a BTL of a snuff film of a guy being eaten by insect spirits on his system that plays whenever he does anything on his commlink or drones that could be considered as using it. Holy Mother, now I hate him even more!
Read the Emergence campaign. He tried to sell Netcat to NeoNET, knowing they'd do nice, skull-cutty experiments on her. Also, in the Conspiracy Theories book, he had drones shoot her. And in Street Legends Supplemental, it became clear that he's apparently doing surveillance on her safehouse, since he got close enough to see her kid. At which point Fastjack himself said that if anything happened to the kid because of the feud, he would personally take it to Clockwork.

My Characters

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <10-12-12/1226:08> »
Read the Emergence campaign. He tried to sell Netcat to NeoNET, knowing they'd do nice, skull-cutty experiments on her. Also, in the Conspiracy Theories book, he had drones shoot her. And in Street Legends Supplemental, it became clear that he's apparently doing surveillance on her safehouse, since he got close enough to see her kid. At which point Fastjack himself said that if anything happened to the kid because of the feud, he would personally take it to Clockwork.

Why bother with a verbal warning? He sounds like a LOL-GRIMDARK MEANS I CAN BACKSTAB PEOPLE WITH NO REPERCUSSIONS-ROTFLOL That Guy in that world. Why not lock him out of his drones, cause them to fight each other to their death at a random time, or reprogram them to fly over to Honest Abdul's Used Camel Drones and have them sold for a tenth of their original asking price if he even so much as uses his commlink within a radius of a mile near Netcat or her kid, who's likely been implanted with a security RFID tag FOR THAT EXACT REASON?

TheBigD

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <10-19-12/0640:37> »
I just got this book yesterday and I have to say that it is full of awesome.

But... Why oh why have they not released the pdf yet?  It's so much easier carrying my SR4 collection on my phone. :P

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <10-19-12/1108:33> »

Why bother with a verbal warning? He sounds like a LOL-GRIMDARK MEANS I CAN BACKSTAB PEOPLE WITH NO REPERCUSSIONS-ROTFLOL That Guy in that world. Why not lock him out of his drones, cause them to fight each other to their death at a random time, or reprogram them to fly over to Honest Abdul's Used Camel Drones and have them sold for a tenth of their original asking price if he even so much as uses his commlink within a radius of a mile near Netcat or her kid, who's likely been implanted with a security RFID tag FOR THAT EXACT REASON?

Same reason it's not a good idea to off any 'runner: he has friends. Yes, even Clockwork. Some Jackpointers like him, consider him a friend. Overt action will start a war.

Also, it's been revealed that Horizon's been playing games with them all. Clockwork's been manipulated to hate and fear technos more than he normally would have.

I don't recall if they Jackpointers are aware of that or not though, I think it's in Street Legends.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <10-23-12/1724:14> »

But... Why oh why have they not released the pdf yet?  It's so much easier carrying my SR4 collection on my phone. :P
It's a physical collection of gear from PDF only products, there wont be any PDF of it.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Blahblah

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <11-15-12/2256:23> »

It's a physical collection of gear from PDF only products, there wont be any PDF of it.
I've been told there are vehicles and weapons that are in this book and not in the PDF versions. Are you sure this book doesn't contain additional gear not listed in the PDFs? Example vehicle is the Shiawase Motors Shuriken (motorcycle) which I'm told is only in the Runner's Black Book but when I look through the PDFs I have (MilTech Spec 1 and 2; Deadly Waves; This Old Drone, Unfriendly Skies, Used Car Lot and Gun Heaven 1 and 2) this particular vehicle is not listed. Or am I missing a PDF I'm not aware of?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <11-15-12/2315:28> »

I've been told there are vehicles and weapons that are in this book and not in the PDF versions. Are you sure this book doesn't contain additional gear not listed in the PDFs? Example vehicle is the Shiawase Motors Shuriken (motorcycle) which I'm told is only in the Runner's Black Book but when I look through the PDFs I have (MilTech Spec 1 and 2; Deadly Waves; This Old Drone, Unfriendly Skies, Used Car Lot and Gun Heaven 1 and 2) this particular vehicle is not listed. Or am I missing a PDF I'm not aware of?

Not sure about the new one, but the first Runners Black Book did have unique stuff, and it was dead-tree only as well.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #25 on: <11-16-12/0151:24> »
I can also confirm that DTF versions of the book take up less space/mass than print-outs of the PDF-files.  Even with the new stuff in them.

I loves me my RBB-1 for that alone.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <11-16-12/1106:12> »
Clockwork had Netcat pretty much at his mercy once (in a fiction piece) and didn't take her or Pistons out. It does make you wonder what else might be going on.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #27 on: <11-16-12/1151:25> »
Clockwork had Netcat pretty much at his mercy once (in a fiction piece) and didn't take her or Pistons out. It does make you wonder what else might be going on.
You mean aside from the fact that Slamm-0! would pull out all the stops, use every connection he has (Including Kane and /dev/grrl!) to track down Clockwork and have his testicles on the mantlepiece before the end of the week?

And Clockwork's Head mounted on the wall above them?

"See little one, that's the bastard that killed Mommy.  Now, now you know what happens to people that slot with our family."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <11-16-12/1214:20> »
I agree with CanRay. The only reason no one's killed Clockwork yet is because Fastjack enforces a certain level of detente on his boards. Clockwork, on the other hand, likely understands that the moment he actually nabs Netcat (or worse, her kid), his days will be numbered.

My Characters

Twitchy D

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <11-16-12/1351:30> »
I agree with CanRay. The only reason no one's killed Clockwork yet is because Fastjack enforces a certain level of detente on his boards. Clockwork, on the other hand, likely understands that the moment he actually nabs Netcat (or worse, her kid), his days will be numbered.

Given the amount of people he sounds like he pissed off for selling out a jackpointer (who was that guy, by the way, and what happend afterwards?), I would change days to hours.

You mean aside from the fact that Slamm-0! would pull out all the stops, use every connection he has (Including Kane and /dev/grrl!) to track down Clockwork and have his testicles on the mantlepiece before the end of the week?

And Clockwork's Head mounted on the wall above them?

"See little one, that's the bastard that killed Mommy.  Now, now you know what happens to people that slot with our family."

NetCat's house, with Pistons and Slamm-O! sitting in the foyer at a coffee table. Clockwork's bullet-ridden, tarp-wrapped corpse lies on the dining room table.
NetCat: "I don't know, Slamm-O!, I think that it would look a lot more tasteful if we just have him taxadermied, break his spine in one or two places, and just put his head up his own ass..."
Slamm-O!: "So we're going against my statue idea, then?"
NetCat: "I don't want to explain to my eight-year-old son why Clockwork's drones gunbarrels look like they're giving him a f-"
Pistons: "And you don't think that he'll just find out on his own by looking up raunchy matrix sites in his free time?"
NetCat: "...I'm still saying no to the statue."
Slamm-O!: "Damn it..."
« Last Edit: <11-16-12/1833:40> by Twitchy D »