NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #330 on: <09-26-14/1448:31> »
Btw is ot possible to block a commlink signal via the Matrix without bricking it?
Not really, at least not specifically. You can snoop communications between two devices, but there really isn't any current way to expressly forbid someone from communicating with someone else, even jamming (which apparently only removes wireless bonuses and adds noise penalties for matrix actions), without some broad GM interpretation (Editing the commlink's contact list, etc). Hopefully this will be elaborated on in the Matrix book, whenever that comes out.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

adamu

« Reply #331 on: <09-26-14/1451:44> »
Well, this IS a circus run…not a very safe place for a mime, since there are also sure to be clowns around.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #332 on: <09-26-14/1532:45> »
Btw is ot possible to block a commlink signal via the Matrix without bricking it?
Not really, at least not specifically. You can snoop communications between two devices, but there really isn't any current way to expressly forbid someone from communicating with someone else, even jamming (which apparently only removes wireless bonuses and adds noise penalties for matrix actions), without some broad GM interpretation (Editing the commlink's contact list, etc). Hopefully this will be elaborated on in the Matrix book, whenever that comes out.

Hmm another case where RL is higher-tech than SR.

What are the options to keep them from calling for help?
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #333 on: <09-26-14/1537:17> »
Hmm another case where RL is higher-tech than SR.

What are the options to keep them from calling for help?
Not really, it has more to do with the Matrix/Wireless rules not being all that very well articulated. I would anticipate the Matrix Book having new uses for certain Matrix Actions that would include some of the things we would expect to be able to do.

To answer your question: Brick their commlinks or shoot them in the face, basically.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #334 on: <09-26-14/1538:02> »
You could always turn the wireless off.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #335 on: <09-26-14/1542:03> »
You could always turn the wireless off.
Yeah, although they could just turn it back on. If they are, for some reason, not logged into AR, you could try to get 3 MARKs on their commlinks and Format/Reboot them. Trying to do that to 10 commlinks has a really high chance of failure somewhere along the line.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #336 on: <09-26-14/1613:51> »
Well crap, I stand corrected. We'll see what happens then.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #337 on: <09-26-14/1617:02> »
I really think they could fix the whole thing by giving commlinks, decks, etc a wireless entry (Wireless: Can perform Matrix Actions) and reducing the ubiquitous noise penalties a little bit. Then you could actually jam someone's communications.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

adamu

« Reply #338 on: <09-26-14/1705:42> »
@Ferret - can you help me out with your appearance?

First line of your IC post says business suit, but next line says suit that makes me think of a mime w/o makeup.
Am I missing something?

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #339 on: <09-26-14/1716:49> »
Imagine a mime that added a suit coat over his black (suit) pants and white/black striped shirt. Still Wearing the white gloves.
« Last Edit: <09-26-14/1729:47> by The Masked Ferret »

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #340 on: <09-26-14/1719:56> »
I really think they could fix the whole thing by giving commlinks, decks, etc a wireless entry (Wireless: Can perform Matrix Actions) and reducing the ubiquitous noise penalties a little bit. Then you could actually jam someone's communications.

Now that I have a chance to look at the SR5 book, there is an option to Jam Signals (pg 240), and Reboot Device. (pg.242). You could also Control Device and lock out the user,and/or put it into 'airplane mode', theoretically.
« Last Edit: <09-26-14/1722:36> by Lusis »

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #341 on: <09-26-14/1721:48> »
Imagine a mime that added a suit coat over his black (suit) pants and white/black striped shirt. Still Wearing the white gloves. No hat.

So...like this w/o the makeup?  8)

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #342 on: <09-26-14/1726:47> »
Now that I have a chance to look at the SR5 book, there is an option to Jam Signals (pg 240), and Reboot Device. (pg.242). You could also Control Device and lock out the user,and/or put it into 'airplane mode', theoretically.
- Jam Signals just does the same thing as a jammer (shuts off wireless bonuses and introduces a noise penalty), per the rules clarification from Aaron. It doesn't stop people from communicating (yes, I think it's stupid).
- Reboot Device cannot be performed if someone has formed a persona on the device, which is going to be about 95% of the time given how ubiquitous AR is. You form a persona whenever in AR or VR.
- Control Device might allow that... maybe.  An owner always has more MARKs on a device than a hacker, it's questionable whether they can lock out the owner or silently put something in "airplane mode" without the owner being alerted in AR. In which case they just manually turn it back on...
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #343 on: <09-26-14/1729:04> »
Lets ... um... use this one. Minus the Makeup. Add Elf ears. And a Charisma of 8.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #344 on: <09-26-14/1732:18> »
With a mime shirt, right?
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>