NEWS

Street Legends

• 173 Replies

The Dweller

• Newb
  • Shine your chrome for a nuyen, chummer
« Reply #90 on: <07-16-11/2121:23> »
Hey, someone return to that Salvatore/Stackpole comment.  Did Salvatore take over writing that included characters Stackpole had used previously?

Also, would throw my hat in for seeing Kid Stealth show up in print along with Dr Raven, Wolfgang and crew.

Raventrickster

• Newb
« Reply #91 on: <07-16-11/2133:58> »
No, that was a typo, and he fixed it in an edit later.

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #92 on: <07-17-11/0408:31> »
Bull's story is really... boring. It's well-written, but still boring. And stuff like "follow the riddles of the Evil Mastermind and survive deadly traps" is lacks imagination. Dunno.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #93 on: <07-17-11/0612:56> »
Personally, and like with all things, I'll wait on any serious statements (and stick to my normal smart-ass comments) until I see a final product. A trailer does not a movie make, nor is a preview the complete product. So far, I have seen good art and some good writing. One of my favorite SR books (and I hold my copy dear to this day) is Prime Runners. I loved that book because it gave you a corss section of what and who is out there. And I loved it more when some of those characters came up in various novels.

Yeah, I love Shadowrun; not for the system, not for the gear (but gear still is cool), but for the story. And without characters there is no story. It's like having a favorite person to love or hate in anything be it sports, NASCAR, politics, authors, etc. And that's what I want; more story. A supplement for the new wiz-bang mcguffin is great, but this (and maybe more NOVELS), and missions is what I am really want to see more of because they tell the STORY.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #94 on: <07-17-11/1025:19> »
Bull's story is really... boring. It's well-written, but still boring. And stuff like "follow the riddles of the Evil Mastermind and survive deadly traps" is lacks imagination. Dunno.
I suspect we are talking about a actual game campaign that played out that way...
Want to see my flash new jacket?

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #95 on: <07-17-11/1026:30> »
Personally, and like with all things, I'll wait on any serious statements (and stick to my normal smart-ass comments) until I see a final product. A trailer does not a movie make, nor is a preview the complete product. So far, I have seen good art and some good writing. One of my favorite SR books (and I hold my copy dear to this day) is Prime Runners. I loved that book because it gave you a corss section of what and who is out there. And I loved it more when some of those characters came up in various novels.

Yeah, I love Shadowrun; not for the system, not for the gear (but gear still is cool), but for the story. And without characters there is no story. It's like having a favorite person to love or hate in anything be it sports, NASCAR, politics, authors, etc. And that's what I want; more story. A supplement for the new wiz-bang mcguffin is great, but this (and maybe more NOVELS), and missions is what I am really want to see more of because they tell the STORY.
Sadly statistics have shown, across the p&p gaming world, that crunch outsells fluff.

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #96 on: <07-17-11/1121:58> »
I suspect we are talking about a actual game campaign that played out that way...

Not every campaign makes for an interesting story. ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #97 on: <07-17-11/1131:23> »
But they can make for interesting characters!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #98 on: <07-17-11/1147:33> »
Anyhow, one complaint about a character, and the OMG WALL OF TEXT EQUIPMENT are hardly reasons to bad mouth what could be an excellent product
Assume you wanted to sell a product and had propped up something as the key selling point. Now you post a first preview, which shows exactly one instance of that something. What do you expect people to think?
a) Yep, that's how it's going to look
b) Nah, that's totally not representative, all other occurrences will be better
c) Nah, that's totally not representative, they cherry-picked the best instance

Please pardon my belief in the sanity of CGL by assuming c) or maybe even a). I should have known that they are intentionally trying to sabotage their product with crappy previews...

MikeW

• Freelancer
  • Newb
« Reply #99 on: <07-17-11/1450:56> »
When I was helping proofread the various sections, I approached the job of proofreading as anticipating any criticisms that the fans might have of the various chapters, and offering suggestions on how to correct those possible areas. Now, I must tell you, I did not anticipate criticism for Rigger X's stat box. I thought it looked okay, and if I needed to use it, I knew I could.  No matter how much I tried to anticipate criticism and find a way of fixing things, there are certain things that I could not anticipate for. It is helpful to keep in mind that no matter how hard we try, there are some things that we just won't be able to anticipate until the product is released (or in this case,  a preview).  And frankly, it is impossible to create a product that is 100% free of things to criticize. Something one person may like, someone else will hate. All I can say is that I am extremely confident that each freelance writer, artist, editor, proofreader, gave 100% to making sure Street Legends one of the best SR products. And that I hope everyone keeps an open mind when reading Street Legends, so that they can take away from it things that they can enjoy and possibly use at their own gaming table.  Also keep in mind that the preview didn't incorporate all the strong, selling points of Street Legends. And that there is still much to be gained from it that hasn't yet been revealed.

And come next year, I firmly believe (speaking only for myself) that Street Legends will be up for Origins and the ENnie awards.   

Mike Wich, SR Freelancer
10 Jackpointers
Sixth World Almanac
03-10 Spin Control
War!
Street Legends
Artifacts Unbound
Conspiracy Theories
Horizon Adventure #3

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #100 on: <07-17-11/1557:45> »
Something one person may like, someone else will hate.
And only the latter is likely to take the time to write about it online.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #101 on: <07-17-11/1700:04> »
SPace is also a factor.  Each character was X words long (3000?) and in layout only got 4 pages, which had to include space for a picture.  With Rigger X, the drones/vehicles maybe should have had their own "stat block" the way weapons do.  However, at a rough guess that would have made his stat page 2 pages long.  At least.  Which means it would have completely hacked into his background and history. 

And while I'm glad stats are included...  I'm more interested in the flavor and the backgrounds of these characters than I am his list of drones.  So condensed, ugly (but still very useable) gear text block in exchange for more background wins in my book.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #102 on: <07-17-11/1723:07> »
Now, I must tell you, I did not anticipate criticism for Rigger X's stat box. I thought it looked okay, and if I needed to use it, I knew I could.
If you found it perfectly readable, how come you missed even basic stuff like "Improved Takeoff and Landing 2, chameleon coating"? Good text layout also makes proofing a lot easier ;)

And the standard solution if text doesn't fit on a page is simple: Reword it and cut things like duffel bags (unless those are somehow connected to his background).
« Last Edit: <07-17-11/1728:53> by Sengir »

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #103 on: <07-17-11/1843:25> »
Uh huh.

So CGL can expect your resume for a layout position when?

Fucking white noise. That's all this shit is. Good, bad, or spam.
« Last Edit: <07-17-11/1846:43> by Crimsondude »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #104 on: <07-17-11/1930:40> »
I have noticed that critics are the ones that tend to have not done the things they're critiquing.

Such as people that have to go to University to learn how to watch movies or read books.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11