Catalyst Game Labs > Errata

Street Wyrd: Spell creation example lists wrong spell description

<< < (3/3)

MercilessMing:
And again no matter what, the money for this has to come out of Starting Nuyen, ie. purchased out-of-turn with the cash you have left over at the end of character creation, max $5000.  That's going to be a headache for people who write character generator software.

Also when it comes to the cost of all this, since 1 karma = 2000 nuyen at character creation, you can get up to 5 knowledge skills for 2.5 karma total using the money option.

Aria:
I've not written it in to my excel generator yet... but more knowledge skills are good (and not going to rock the game world too much) so I may just interpret it in the easiest way to calculate it in excel until we hear otherwise (anyone got the ear of the author?) :D

Of course there's no reason why it has to just be a mage who accesses it either, although I guess the proportion of uni educated runners is going to be on the small ish side...

Michael Chandra:

--- Quote from: MercilessMing on ---And again no matter what, the money for this has to come out of Starting Nuyen, ie. purchased out-of-turn with the cash you have left over at the end of character creation, max $5000.  That's going to be a headache for people who write character generator software.

Also when it comes to the cost of all this, since 1 karma = 2000 nuyen at character creation, you can get up to 5 knowledge skills for 2.5 karma total using the money option.

--- End quote ---
I always considered any gear-expenditure, including spell formulae and whatnot, to simply be part of the Gear cash. The 5k limit would be what you can take out of chargen into the game, not 'you can only buy 5k worth of the following goodies'.

MercilessMing:

--- Quote from: Michael Chandra on ---
--- Quote from: MercilessMing on ---And again no matter what, the money for this has to come out of Starting Nuyen, ie. purchased out-of-turn with the cash you have left over at the end of character creation, max $5000.  That's going to be a headache for people who write character generator software.

--- End quote ---
I always considered any gear-expenditure, including spell formulae and whatnot, to simply be part of the Gear cash. The 5k limit would be what you can take out of chargen into the game, not 'you can only buy 5k worth of the following goodies'.

--- End quote ---

Sure, but as I mentioned upthread, this quality specifically says the knowledge skills are purchased with Starting Nuyen and even references the CRB page where it says $5000 is the max starting nuyen you can have.

If this quality did not use the $5000 limit, then it's an even worse quality than we think because, why would you ever use the karma purchase option when 1 karma in chargen gets you $2000 aka two knowledge skills. 

Even once the cost of this quality is sorted out, I still think it's a bad quality because it basically says "are you a mage?  Congrats you're more knowledgeable than the team decker because you went to magic school."

Xenon:
Let us assume that 'free' knowledge skills don't affect quality cost. This seems reasonable.
Let us assume that the cost is correct as written. This also seems reasonable.
Let us try that out on a few different use cases. See how it pan out. If it is reasonable or not.

With 1 extra knowledge skill (beyond Logic number of 'free' knowledge skills)

Without quality:
1*3 = 3 Karma

With quality, max karma:
1*1 karma + 1*2 karma = 3 karma (no difference)

With quality, resources for skills:
1 karma + 1000 (500:1)

With quality, resources for all:
1000 + 1000 = 2000 (1000:1 + 500:1)

Let us assume you instead get 3 extra knowledge skills.

Without quality:
3*3= 9 Karma

With quality, max karma:
3 karma + 6 karma = 9 karma (no difference)

With quality, resources for skills:
3 karma + 3000 (500:1)

3000 + 3000 = 6000 (1000:1 + 500:1)

Let us assume you instead get 7 extra knowledge skills.

Without quality:
7*3= 21 Karma

With quality, max karma:
7 karma + 14 karma = 21 karma (no difference)

With quality, resources for skills (but max 5000 starting nuyen):
7 karma + 4 karma + 5000 (500:1)

7000 + 4 karma + 5000 = 4 karma + 12000 (1000:1 + 500:1)

With this reading the intent behind this quality seem to be that you get to trade your 'starting' cash for karma at a ratio of 500 nuyen per karma (which is a pretty good deal if you are OK with starting the game with less nuyen).

It also let you trade 'gear' cash for karma at a ratio of 1000 nuyen per karma, but only karma you already planned to spend on knowledge skills to begin with (which is also pretty good deal as you are also allowed to buy 'back' 2000 'gear' cash for just 1 customization karma).

You should probably not pick this quality if you don't intend to buy extra knowledge skills or if you don't intend to trade cash for karma (as you will 'pay' with one of your limited quality slots without actually gaining anything).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version