NEWS

Basic Quesion about SRM

• 11 Replies

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« on: <11-18-11/1728:13> »
I was interested in trying out missions but doing them "officially" since up to now i've only done them "unofficially".  The main question I have is what are the Mission logs used for?  They talk about "molding" a shared campaign universe, so how exactly is this done?  Do we "turn in" the mission logs to the Mission Coordinator?  How then does this "mold" the campaign universe?  Just wondering if the mission logs actually get tallied up or something and then maybe if something happens in a majority of tables then that's taken as "cannon" and maybe used to determine what happens in future missions?  Just been looking for specifics on this because I couldn't find the answer anywhere. 

Crash_00

« Reply #1 on: <11-18-11/1755:08> »
Well I've only been running the Season Two missions lately, but I'll try to answer best I can.

The Debriefing logs are effectively the Players proof that the character went through the mission and obtained X nuyen, Y Karma, and Z etc (special gear, faction, street cred and such) on said mission.

In addition, the GM is encouraged to look over all the players Debriefing logs for missions that tie into the one he's running, and use the outcomes to help tailor the mission. For example, if the players have all run a mission where they encountered a Mercenary Bodyguard and killed him, the GM is encouraged to rename that Bodyguard if he shows up again two missions later.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-19-11/1127:38> »
Ok, so I was under the impression that you send in the debriefing logs to Catalyst or some other Missions Coordinator and somehow this "influences" the world.  So say that there's that Mercernary Body Guard that you're talking about and like a majority of people playing missions have killed this dude......then when they write future Missions, he's killed off.  That's what I thought they meant when they were saying that everyone playing missions is in one huge campaign.  I also thought they had like a database where your character is and all his rep with different factions is written down. 

So it seems that SRM is more like WoW in that the overarching plot of the world is not influenced by what all the people playing choose to do.  Like, if you and some buddies completed an instance and the result of that is that some tower is burning....only you and your buddies who completed the objective see it as burning.....not the other players running around the map....they just so the building the way it use to be...i.e. not burning.

I dont' know why I was so convinced that it worked the way I first thought it to work lol.

Crash_00

« Reply #3 on: <11-19-11/1335:48> »
The one big campaign allows players to easily join into a new Missions group if they need to. Say your group falls apart, and one of your players moves away. If he finds a new group that plays missions in his new town, he can play the same character. Likewise, players can bring their missions characters to a Convention and play at the convention missions easily.

The only real file of a character is their character sheet and the list of Debriefing logs that they keep track of.

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #4 on: <11-19-11/1459:32> »

I dont' know why I was so convinced that it worked the way I first thought it to work lol.

Maybe because this actually worked what way.
Mission logs (or at least GMs impression/comments) for season two (I think) were sent/tallied. They have concluded gathering them at some point and stated that (for example for the mission 02:01 - Johny Ono was killed on the streets - that have later made it into Spy games, when they claimed that Waka-whatever of Yakuze died on the streets in the decsription of Yakuza in Denver.

I don't know if the practice is followed in Season 4 (I've got most of the season 2 to do and entire season 3 before that)
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

Crash_00

« Reply #5 on: <11-19-11/1529:16> »
If you're part of the Catalyst Demo Agent program, when you run an event it will ask you to feel out a statement of what occurred at the end for each run. I could see them using that to modify future missions, although it seems like they have quite a bit on their plate currently. With Season Two and Season Three though, there is no way to influence the future of those seasons because they are already finished (having been written already).

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #6 on: <11-19-11/1655:41> »
IIRC, you may send in the paperwork for any character that reaches Prime runner status (150+ Karma) and the story os the character and the character will be considered for use in official SR products. MAYBE. See the SRM Season 4 FAQ.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #7 on: <11-19-11/2136:35> »
We're working on getting some kind of web reporting set up for Season 4.  It's proving problematic, mostly because CGL doesn't currently have a dedicated Webmaster for the Shadowrun side of things.  I'm hoping to steal the BT guy at some point.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #8 on: <11-20-11/0837:58> »
You could just go with e-mailed reports.

:)

-k

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-20-11/1029:17> »
I hope the system is up soon, as i like to see how the world is going vs what happens in my games

and sorry Bull, but I have little skill in the webmaster department. like computer 0

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #10 on: <11-20-11/1702:50> »
You could just go with e-mailed reports.

:)
-k

I want something a little more organized.  Experience has taught me that I will get a ton of emails that are disogranized and missing crucial pieces of information.

Ideally I'm thinking a web report form with certain boxes you have to fill in (Or have drop down boxes you can choose from) taht cover name of adventure, major outcomes, etc, and generates an email from that.  That way each email I get has the same information in the same place, and it makes it easy to quickly go through and track this stuff.

My free time is...  Incredibly minimal these days.  That's one reason projects like this end up on the backburner as long as they do...  I can focus on back end support stuff, *or* I can focus on getting new material out.  Hard to find time to do both most days :(

Bull

Crash_00

« Reply #11 on: <11-20-11/2127:55> »
Well that's when you just pull out the old Super Warhawk and jump start the good old Shadowrun draft. Don't worry about people signing up to help out, force them into it.   ;)

The least time consuming simplest thing would probably be to just make the debriefing reports "fillable" and have one them emailed in per group, allowing for instance the character improvement area for any notes not covered by the normal "so and so was captured/killed" tick boxes. Keep in mind, I'm not saying this is the best thing to do, but it should be relatively simple to do. Set up what the title should be for the email in the mission so that you can just create separate folders for them (or separate gmail accounts overall for different sets if you really wanted to go crazy) to sort into.