NEWS

Back in SR 3, what was the ware that combined with MBW??

• 28 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #15 on: <11-04-18/1529:27> »
I did a google search and found a 2006 topic, not sure if it helps:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?300309-SR3-Samuri-upgrade-question&p=6662455#post6662455

That's some of it for sure and follows the logic of how they stack. Good find!

In fact the only difference would be the smartlink they are talking about. For the exact build in question, a smartlink is a waste of essence as this character specializes in dual smgs for the maximum damage and IP action usage under the old 2e and then (less effectively) 3e combat systems and dice pools. 
« Last Edit: <11-04-18/1533:06> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <11-04-18/1531:54> »
I did a google search and found a 2006 topic, not sure if it helps:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?300309-SR3-Samuri-upgrade-question&p=6662455#post6662455

That's some of it for sure and follows the logic of how they stack. Good find!
Was an easy find after you told us the name of the augmentation. =)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #17 on: <11-04-18/1725:57> »
That's very interesting, i bet that combo is why boosted only comes in 1 level now. lol
I can see why it was controversial, I'm not totally sold that was RAI, but it was RAW for sure.
I can see the argument, as to why it would work. It's funny I never thought to check the core book, and it totally reminds me of the flaws of 3rd. The actual function of boosted isn't in the description or in the table where's it priced, its' on a whole 3rd table another page away, not referenced of course. It's moments like that, for which I am grateful for 5th lol.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <11-04-18/1828:07> »
Boosted reflexes sat in a corner crying that no one loved it for 2 books, until Man and Machine came out and they mentioned explicitly in MM that Boosted and synaptic accelerator worked together.
Both pieces of ware, by themselves were nothing special, and there was better options for initiative enhancement.

BUT, when you combined them (as MM said you could) then you had a winning combo :D Throw in all the other reaction and initiative toys in there... and suddenly you have a build that had a solid initiative performance in the upper ends of silly.

Combine that high initiative with dual weapons, and short bursts, and you had a single character, taking 4 short bursts every Initiative pass, and with the way the damagee system worked back then, he was sure to drop 2 targets every pass...

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #19 on: <11-04-18/1839:40> »
Did Cybertechnology say Synaptic Accelerator then? I could have sworn...

As for boosted reflexes I always saw it as a NPC implant as it could never be upgraded, not something for a long term character.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <11-04-18/2054:38> »
Not sure what Cybertechnology has to say...

Anything that isn't being played right now is in a storage locker as I am selling my house and moving to the country..
(Well... considering where I hang my hat, moving MORE into the country may be a better term :D)

So, I don't have that book handy.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #21 on: <11-04-18/2101:48> »
Cybertechnology is 2nd.

Man and Machine is the 3rd book.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <11-05-18/0003:18> »
I know Cybertechnology is SR2. I was trying to track down where I got the idea of Synaptic Accelerator being stackable.
Sadly I left all my books on the other side of the planet so it’s hard for me to check.  8)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #23 on: <11-05-18/0246:03> »
Boosted Reflexes and Synaptic Accelerator started getting stacked as soon as Synaptic Accelerator came out in Cybertechnology; hell, that was one of the tricks I used when I made my first biosamurai.  The theory was simply this:  Boosted Reflexes enhanced the chemical makeup of your nervous system (from fluff, Street Samurai Sourcebook, 1e).  Synaptic Accelerator enhanced the neurocellular portion of your nervous system (from fluff, Cybertechnology, 2e).  Therefore, functioning upon two different-but-complementary portions, they would stack.

The only thing that might have stacked with Move-By-Wire (now with TLE-x!) would have been ... I forget the actual in-game name for them.  The reaction enhancers, the levels 1-6 ones that were added to your spinal column and basically sped everything up, added +1/level to your Reaction (and thus initiative).  I can see both sides of the the argument on that one, but would have come down on 'no, MbW is nasty enough'.
« Last Edit: <11-05-18/0248:37> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #24 on: <11-05-18/0304:38> »
Hey, know what the favourite song is of anyone who had Move-by-wire removed?

There are no strings on me...
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <11-05-18/0421:32> »
So the theme song for MbW users is “Master of Puppets”?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <11-05-18/0421:58> »
Hey, know what the favourite song is of anyone who had Move-by-wire removed?

There are no strings on me...

<Facepalm>

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <11-06-18/0027:34> »
Move By Wire specifies explicitly that it is not compatible with any other Reaction or Initiative-enhanching cyber- or bioware. A case could be made for drugs though - Jazz, Kamikaze etc.

The one I remember is Boosted Reflexes and Synaptic Accelerators. Giving a total of +2 Reaction and +4 initiative dice.

that was the combo. Thank you!

(Sorry just noticed you posted the correct answer way back.... and I kind of didn't respond)

sds

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <11-10-18/1141:47> »
No worries. You reached the correct conclusion - I'm happy  8)