NEWS

Being on the "right" side campaign rules?

• 11 Replies

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« on: <10-25-13/2006:59> »
While shadowrun is very much about running the shadows. I was wondering about whether there are actual rules for playing corporate employees instead?
Im not just talking about fluffy suggestions from some of the books, but about something with actual rules. And if there is, are those chapters in the books any good? or are they just some half hearted attempts, more like a brain storm, where the GM/group is supposed to do 80% of rules tinkering themselves?
 thank you very much :)

SnackerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <10-25-13/2014:07> »
What kind of rules differences do you need?

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-25-13/2038:18> »
Well image you are the executive officer of R&D in a small aztech corp facility in some city.
Rules for R&D projects ("hiring" (kidnapping) key personnel, dice pools, target numbers, cash rewards, milestones, researching (and a bit of aggressive external inspiration collection) etc)
Expanded rules for public awareness/street cred and notoriety ( you want more public awareness after all)
Financial rules (made easy of course, I dont want to run a financial management course for my players "for fun")

A game more about driving around in mitsubishi nightskies, dinner parties with the elite, intrigue, backstabbing, killing off evil attacking runners, fighting off rivals, advancing through skill/backstabbing/lies/maybe even hard work (euch!), allowing players to research new stuff,  yet still small enough to be personally involved in HRM (extractions) creative R&D (datasteals) PR (humiliating competitors and faking being the good guys). And sometimes being the Mr Johnson ( only for the less important off screen runs).

It wont work just to reward the players high monetary rewards, as they will just blow it all on delta grade augs and just end up being insanely rich runners. I would  prefer a clear line between status rewards ( mitsubishi nightsky, luxury life style, useless clones chimera pet, etc) and "standard" rewards ( augs, guns and the like).
High risk projects possibly costing the corp millions if they blow it. etc

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-25-13/2058:36> »
Honestly, this sounds like something I would like to see rules for. Shadowrun could use a rules set like the kingdom building rules for Pathfinder in their Ultimate Campaign book for building corporations and/or syndicates.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #4 on: <10-25-13/2134:15> »
While that sounds really cool, it'd be damn near impossible to balance.

A system like that would be so mechanic heavy it'd be better as a spin off game and not even attempt to emulate the runner game.

It'd probably work best as a video game Shadowrun Mega Corp simulator.

Tallyrand

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <10-25-13/2142:14> »
Honestly it sounds to me more like you have a solid idea for a Shadowrun themed board game, and I think you should run with it.  So far as how I would run a team to corporate security/runners I think the only change I would make would be to abstract resources.  Make acquiring gear based on a resources skill (representing your pull with the Req officer or your value to the company) rather than a matter of individual accounting.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <10-25-13/2145:46> »
Also, this kind of campaign would definitely fit with my High Prime alternative campaign setup.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #7 on: <10-26-13/0332:02> »
Honestly, this sounds like something I would like to see rules for. Shadowrun could use a rules set like the kingdom building rules for Pathfinder in their Ultimate Campaign book for building corporations and/or syndicates.

Closest was back in 'Corporate Shadowfiles' in 2nd Edition.  The rules in it allowed a GM to build their own corporations for their own campaigns.
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <10-26-13/0820:38> »
Sadly, I don't think they have ever explored this area rules wise (and I have over 40 of the sourcebooks dating back 1e).

So this type of adventure you are going to have to wing it, and the only thing we can do is offer suggestions. :(

First I would identify exactly what type of "adventure" in the corp world you want to run. this is important because unlike the shadows where no matter your role, you all "end up in the same bar at the end of the day", the Corp world seems to have a "caste" system.... execs don't rub shoulders with wageslaves, security doesn't hob-knob with R&D... and so on. 

Second, every company has it's own "family" values (the Corp Guide from SR4a is a great source for this info!), so doing a little research on the Corps will allow you to identify what Corp you want your players to be a part of. That said, Back-stabbing seems to be pretty common. (Want that promotion? well Bob is next in line... unless you can make Bob look like an idiot to his boss....).

Third, as you stated, how do you reward your players? Well.... I have a few suggestions on how it would work in a Corp world... the problem is they may not be "rewards" in the players eyes :( First, the most common "reward" would be an increase to their lifestyle. They do great deeds for the Corp interest, they get moved out of their Corp sponsored "middle" lifestyle to a Corp Sponsored "high" lifestyle and get everything that entails. Corp sponsor Cyberware and Bioware (that fits their role in the company.) Or other little corp perks.

AS to target numbers, for cutting edge research? no idea :(  A lot of what Corps do is basically a rebranding of the same crap. Look at Apple... they got a 2% increase in sales when they "released" the white Iphone 4. It was the same iphone.... but now in WHITE!!! (and the Apple fanbois ate it up) But Revolutionary, cutting edge, never seen before products? just a guess but in the 200s extended test, probably weekly interval...following the team assisted rules, this means it could take months to years to come to bloom, which in the Corp world is actually not that long for brand new, cutting edge work. (Videogames can take 2 to 3 years to complete.... or if you are "the Duke" ... 20 years! In the industrial construction world, 18 to 36 months for a new plant, mine, dam, or factory is pretty much the norm)

Some thing to keep in mind, (and to toss out of you don't like) is that corps save money by buying in bulk. Anything the Corp provides to employees, they provide across the board. Meaning when a Corp looks to out fit it's security, it doesn't hodge-podge the equipment, they purchase 10,000 SMGs, 10,000 body armor, 10,000 batons, 10,000 pistols,(etc-etc) all of the same type and give them to their guards. So every guard has the exact same weapons and armor... this helps keep costs down (like ammo, maintenance), help keep everyone looking the same (think Mcdonalds... everyone wears the same uniform), and allows them to know exactly what they can expect from the baseline.

hopefully that helps you get started.... the only other thing to do is read everything you can on the Corps and see what other ideas click together.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-26-13/1119:43> »
@Parker & All4BigGuns Great! I´ll try to track down corporate shadow files and PF kingdom building. Although what Ive just seen of kingdom building on the net, it seems very expansive and a lot of tinkering would be needed to fit it into shadowrun. But it seems filled with ideas.

@DeathStrobe & Tallyrand Well I definitely still want it to be a RPG first and book keeping second. I dont want my players to bury their noses in the books the whole evening, trying to increase the EBITDA score by 4,5% (hhm although, I could always try to present my own papers to them, disguised as in-game corporate numbers, and thereby con them into doing my taxes :) ) I know the warhammer 40k RPG "rogue trader" doesnt deal in cash but in acquisition. Money isnt the question there as all the players are kinda like billionaires, the question is more if they can find the item in the first place. That would be represented by availability rolls in SR I suppose.

@Michael Chandra Yeah, Ive read your high prime campaign variant, I myself have also been tinkering with the priorities. Was toying with an; A+, A, B, C, D list. With the A+ choice besides having higher values, giving other bonuses as well. Higher skill cap, availability, exceptional attribute, initiation etc But no matter what, a corp executive officer should never have a measly 6k starting cash or a mere 18 skill points.

@Reaver well, the type of "adventure" would set all the players as executive officers, the big decision makers. With the occasional big commands from the big AAA they are all part of and love.The rules for the corp itself, would be more abstract than exactly what type of weapon each security guard would be equipped with. For instance the corp would have muscle, matrix, magic and money stats. I would like prices for hosts, and with a hosts stats for attack, sleaze, data processing and firewall I see no reason to really expand that further. (until the matrix books is available)
The muscle world security would just be an abstract set of numbers representing number of guards, drones, armament, skill, loyalty etc. same with magic, bound spirits, FAB, mana barriers, mages etc.

About player rewards, yeah thats the thing. Im thinking it would be best to split that in 3.
1. the corp itself. The team as a whole gets some resources allocated to their business giving them the ability to upgrade hosts, security, public awareness etc.
2. Each player can get some corp perks. high/luxuruy lifestyles, fancy cars, legal helicopters etc.
3. Karma and a paycheck, they can use on whatever they like. Likely augmentations, foci, booze etc.

A typical "adventure" could be introducing the new "krill action bar!!" more additives, less krill taste!! Step 1: research (legwork) create the formula(aaand some data stealing) 2. produce 3. discredit H4XX0r p0w3r B4r product ( set a trap for the opponents, beat the crap out of them, release the "totally real and not at all biased footages" showing how the characters defends themselves against the lunatics on a H4xx0r trip) 4. More marketing (convincing simstarlett Maggie Fox to eat the powerbar when revealing her newest simflick) or with the help of a non physical illusion spell, trick her into believing that she is actually still eating her beloved H4xx0r bar. While the rest of the world sees the krill bar, as the spell doesnt affect technological devices. 5. cash in rewards ( with bonuses on how much data got stolen, and how well the marketing went)  6. survive beating by Foxs bodyguards.

of course most players wouldnt want to run a food company, but likely specialice in weapons, cyberware, bioware, magic, matrix gadgets, simsense etc
« Last Edit: <10-26-13/1641:16> by DigitalZombie »

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <11-03-13/1641:58> »
Ive made a shot at some rules. I havent found the kingdom builder or the 2bd edition rules yet.
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13511.0

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #11 on: <11-03-13/1722:56> »
There's also "Hostile Takeover", the megacorp-themed board game that's supposed to be released next year.

In Shadowrun: Hostile Takeover, players assume the role of megacorporations attempting to assert dominance over the city of Seattle.

Hostile Takeover is a game of intrigue, shifting alliances, and secretive schemes in the most famous futuristic megaplex of Shadowrun’s Sixth World. The most wealthy and influential megacorps of the city contend for dominance of Seattle, and they use shady dealings and deniable assets to wage a war in the shadows for supremacy.

“Games such as Lords of Waterdeep have shown you can take elegant Eurogame mechanics and wed them with an immersive world to create a wonderful tabletop experience,” said Randall N. Bills, Managing Developer for Catalyst Game Labs. “Shadowrun is a universe that screams for a host of board games to expand player’s enjoyment of visiting the Sixth World often. Pairing up award-winning designers with Shadowrun is going to be a fantastic combination.”
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)