NEWS

Lets talk WAR!

• 291 Replies

Stormdrake

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <12-15-10/1338:30> »
I may be wrong and if I am please explain.  The Battle Rifle is moded to accept/shoot high power rounds which gives it it's stated DV.  That DV with a "minor" mod to the rifle making it FA capable negates machine guns?  Is that correct?  My answer would be to apply the mod allowing high power rounds to machine guns which are already FA capable and you still have the difference between the classifications.

WAR! seems to have created the new classification by integrating a mod into a whole range of weapons rather than creating a new base weapon.  I am sure I am missing some meaningful point which negates my understanding but I can't really find it.  I also understand that my "solution" could be seen as even more power creep but as I said earlier I don't see that as a real problem.

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: <12-15-10/1344:24> »
Its not really a mod if the weapon gets its own range char; that is a weapon type.  As Bull defined, there is no provision from what calibre of weapon you are using.  Also, as it was pointed out, an MMG and a Battle rifle IRL use the same calibre or round.

The problem is with how the rules stand, it is now cheaper and easier to make an MMG out of a Battle Rifle, and said weapon now gets a +1 power.  Instead of working off the MMG as the basis for the battle rifle, we instead have something pulled out of the air which doesn't fit the existing weapons structure.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

Archivist

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <12-15-10/1345:51> »
A few questions:
Is there much to connect to Ghost Cartels and any follow-up actions taken by the various factions within?  
Does it cover the Aztlan/Amazonia conflict in a broad sense?  Ie-naval action, does CAS march into their old territories?  Allies on either side being drawn into the confilict?  It's sounding like the "battle of bogota".

Actually - are there any pdf previews?  A table of contents or other snippets?

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #18 on: <12-15-10/1349:11> »
Its not really a mod if the weapon gets its own range char; that is a weapon type.  As Bull defined, there is no provision from what calibre of weapon you are using.  Also, as it was pointed out, an MMG and a Battle rifle IRL use the same calibre or round.

The problem is with how the rules stand, it is now cheaper and easier to make an MMG out of a Battle Rifle, and said weapon now gets a +1 power.  Instead of working off the MMG as the basis for the battle rifle, we instead have something pulled out of the air which doesn't fit the existing weapons structure.

Wow, this is reminding me of 150 tonners from BT.

So is there going to be come kind of correction, or does it look like these are going to stand as-is?
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: <12-15-10/1350:38> »
Strangely I broke the news about those damn Ares mechs on the battletech boards....

Doubtful they get corrections, but we'll see; there were, as we said, some changes made after PT nots went in.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #20 on: <12-15-10/1407:59> »
Bototá, Mercenaries and The War deal mostly in the Aztlan/Amazonia fight (about 100 pages...;))

The rest deals with global hotspots like Marienbad Council (free republic with backing from GD Schwarzkopf), Free Republic of Poland (warzone between Evo and S-K), Somalia (Pretty much the same as our world), Nepal (Saeder-Krupp vs Nepal's monarchy) and Albuequerque (Tech war between Corps). Game Information has rules for running Military/Merc Campaigns, New uses for old skills, rules for large dice pools/flight time/strategic combat/aerial combat/etc., New Gear and Naval equipment/rules.

There's also some talk about CAS/Aztlan troubles -- CAS apparently found a couple of spies, but I haven't had a chance to do a complete read-through yet, just a skim.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #21 on: <12-15-10/1412:24> »
Strangely I broke the news about those damn Ares mechs on the battletech boards....

Doubtful they get corrections, but we'll see; there were, as we said, some changes made after PT nots went in.

Well, at least all heck won't break loose here Caine...hopefully.

Bototá, Mercenaries and The War deal mostly in the Aztlan/Amazonia fight (about 100 pages...;))

The rest deals with global hotspots like Marienbad Council (free republic with backing from GD Schwarzkopf), Free Republic of Poland (warzone between Evo and S-K), Somalia (Pretty much the same as our world), Nepal (Saeder-Krupp vs Nepal's monarchy) and Albuequerque (Tech war between Corps). Game Information has rules for running Military/Merc Campaigns, New uses for old skills, rules for large dice pools/flight time/strategic combat/aerial combat/etc., New Gear and Naval equipment/rules.

There's also some talk about CAS/Aztlan troubles -- CAS apparently found a couple of spies, but I haven't had a chance to do a complete read-through yet, just a skim.

Kot will be happy about that...

8)
« Last Edit: <12-15-10/2125:01> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #22 on: <12-15-10/1521:34> »
Hell yeah i am. Finally something i can bite on. :)

And as for the Battle Rifle controversy, i think it's time all those advances bring a new category of guns into play.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <12-15-10/1551:25> »
I may be wrong and if I am please explain.  The Battle Rifle is moded to accept/shoot high power rounds which gives it it's stated DV.  That DV with a "minor" mod to the rifle making it FA capable negates machine guns?  Is that correct?  My answer would be to apply the mod allowing high power rounds to machine guns which are already FA capable and you still have the difference between the classifications.

WAR! seems to have created the new classification by integrating a mod into a whole range of weapons rather than creating a new base weapon.  I am sure I am missing some meaningful point which negates my understanding but I can't really find it.  I also understand that my "solution" could be seen as even more power creep but as I said earlier I don't see that as a real problem.

Nope, Battle Rifles do not have high power rounds mod as standard.
They just shoot bigger bullets and as such do more damage then an assault rifle does, except for that one assault rifle that has that mod as standard.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Archivist

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <12-15-10/1633:29> »

Thanks!  That is more information than stated in the release on this site!  I hope they put up some previews.  Otherwise, I'll need to wait to flip through a hard copy in store before i decide to buy.

Zen Shooter

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <12-16-10/0940:39> »
So what's the deal with high power rounds? W! says that they give a -2 dice pool penalty due to recoil. Does that mean they double all recoil penalties? Or is that -2 in addition to regular recoil penalties? How does this fit in with the existing recoil penalty rules?

Frankly, I'd like to see some serious revision to this section in future pdfs.

And what were they thinking with monofilament grenades? When monowire in ARS costs a thousand nuyen per meter, how does a monofilament grenade containing "hundreds of meters of monofilament" cost 150 nuyen? And even at that price, why would you want one? An HE grenade costs less than a third of that, does similar damage, and has a bigger area of effect. (The reason you'd want one at that price is to take it apart and sell the hundreds of meters of monofilament inside it for a thousand nuyen each.)
« Last Edit: <12-16-10/0953:47> by Zen Shooter »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #26 on: <12-16-10/0956:45> »
I'd think that it's the same as the -1 per bullet for normal ammo. So, if you burst fire 3 bullets, you're looking at -4 recoil (1st bullet's free, 2nd & 3rd get -2 cumulative).

Stormdrake

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <12-16-10/1013:05> »
One thing about the monofilament grenade may be that after it explodes you have monofilament deployed over an area?  No it does not say that but the stuff does not desolve after the gernade explodes.  Just a thought.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #28 on: <12-16-10/1031:55> »
True, but monofilament lying on the ground won't do much damage. I can't see it getting "caught" in tree branches or anything else either, since it's monofilament and would probably cut through such stuff.

imperialus

• Chummer
« Reply #29 on: <12-16-10/1138:26> »
And what were they thinking with monofilament grenades? When monowire in ARS costs a thousand nuyen per meter, how does a monofilament grenade containing "hundreds of meters of monofilament" cost 150 nuyen? And even at that price, why would you want one? An HE grenade costs less than a third of that, does similar damage, and has a bigger area of effect. (The reason you'd want one at that price is to take it apart and sell the hundreds of meters of monofilament inside it for a thousand nuyen each.)

1.  I'd suggest that a monofilament grenade is probably a whole lot quieter than a regular grenade.  It just needs compressed air or something similar to spray the wire around.  Makes it a great option for covert ops.

2.  It'd also probably be scary as hell to see someone get hit by that.  A soldier is probably used to seeing people get hit by shrapnel and the like but seeing someone get sliced into bite sized chunks, not so much.