NEWS

[SR6] Tar Pit

• 4 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <09-16-20/1237:54> »
I want to make sure I have Tar Pit understood correctly.

If the attack is successful, you "do 1+net hits damage to the icon".  I assume this damage is resisted as normal, even though the language is different than Data Spike.  Otherwise Tar Pit is really destructive against hard targets, especially if you're in a Sleaze posture.
You also "reduce their Data Processing rating by the same amount".  I'm not sure whether this amount is the value before the resistance test or after it, assuming there was one.
The DP attribute of the victim of a Tar Pit attack recovers at a rate of 1 per round.  When does this recovery take place?  Timing is important here.  Since a device with DP of 0 cannot perform any matrix actions, it has to be assumed this recovery happens after the victim's turn, otherwise their DP would never be 0.  It's never mentioned when this happens though.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-16-20/1251:43> »
The matrix damage is resistance as normal.

There is no resistance roll for the DP reduction so initial net hits is what matters. DP recovery would start on the targets turn in the next round.

Unofficially what I do in my home game is allow negative values so the target may need multiple rounds of recovery before regaining a positive DP value.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-18-20/1120:27> »
If DP 0 means you can't take any matrix actions, does that mean you can't jack out or reboot as well?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-18-20/1351:31> »
If DP 0 means you can't take any matrix actions, does that mean you can't jack out or reboot as well?

Yes
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-21-20/1254:25> »
Banshee,  how's that Matrix FAQ coming?  I still have plenty more questions, probably answered before, but the search function here isn't the best.