Shadowrun Play > Gamemasters' Lounge

Floorplan/Map Software Frustration

(1/3) > >>

Talgrath:
So, I've been running a Shadowrun campaign for a few months now, and I've been using the very handy "Homestyler" tool to make maps (link here: http://www.homestyler.com/), both for myself and partially filled in maps for when they do some snooping/bribing and are able to get a map of the location.  So far so good, but Homestyler is built to make homes, not office buildings, and it's crapping out on me now that the group is experienced enough for some "real" corp runs, 100m x 50m and some extra stuff tossed in causes Homestyler to crap out on me.  I've tried a few others, like SketchUp, but they all seem to be aimed at making smaller buildings.  I looked at some others like Campaign Cartographer 3 with the "modern" pack, but I've heard it's hard to use and it's not cheap.  Does anyone have some recommendations for some software I could use to make larger floorplans?  Ideally free, but if not, at least less than $50.

Shaidar:
As a drafting professional and 30 year SR veteran I can tell you that you've got 2 options:
1: downgrade your drawings to more simple representations
2: upgrade to professional grade software costing hundreds to thousands of dollars

I've had access to use professional software like AutoCAD and Microstation in the past while I was gainfully employed and been forced to use SketchUp and other freeware now that I live on Vet Benefits.

The only means by which I could continue to use the freeware to represent larger facilities was to simplify my product down to single plane/surface for a wall/door or similar instead of photo-realistic 3D.

Talgrath:
Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to see how I can set that up, quite frankly I don't want it to be 3D anyway.

Reaver:
An other option is to do a 'dirty' cut and paste.

Design each floor of the building.... or do 1/4 of the floor.... and print and cut and tape them together to get a larger area....

(Personally, I just use a 6ft gridded white board and draw the floor plans on it...)

lord_shadow_666:
I use A1 sheets that are for flip boards and dry wipe pens :D

After a few days though what ever you have put on them is permanent without a good scrub!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version