NEWS

Richard Raven

• 18 Replies

WellSpokenRunner

• Newb
  • Just a simple man trying to not get eaten by Lofyr
« on: <02-02-12/1638:38> »
So I was flipping through my old copy of Into the Shadows (one of the few old SR books I have left) and I was wondering:

did anyone else get the feeling that Richard Raven (Mike Stackpole's character from the Wolf and Raven stories) was an immortal elf? 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <02-02-12/1814:15> »
Not as much, but definitely powerful and knows more than he should.

I also want to hear how Wolf is doing.

HEY!  How are those novels coming along???
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

WellSpokenRunner

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-02-12/2209:00> »
You know I actually thought about how the Wolf and Raven team would have naturally "aged" along the SR timeline.  I had toyed with the idea of making them supporting characters in my old 3rd edition Game before I had to stop playing altogether.  All respect to Michael Stackpole but because I liked the characters so much, I could't get them out of my head and started coming up with my own take on them. 

I guess in my mind, Wolf would have become sort of the team leader, more of a fixer/face but also growing in his magic.  Which is good because he still has that whole Yakuza problem.

Tiger and Iron Mike would have become 2 of the best samurai in Seattle, with Tiger growing into the role of the quintessential samurai who constantly has to bail out Mike, who's become a rock star's boyfriend and is always caught up in some crazy scheme for fame and fortune.  Unfortunately, they also tend to hang out with the team's new combat mage: Suki Redflower, who isn't having fun unless she's blowing things up. 

Tark would have gone on to become a major leader in the Ork Underground, a kind of ambassador politician.  His replacement on the team would have been a troll physad who just happened to be the thrill seeking son of the chief of the Cascade Ork tribe. 

Stealth would be creating his own sub team of crazy samurai for his private war on Etinee LaPlante and I envisioned him having a crazy razor girl side kick. 

And Raven would have gotten one wish from Dunklezahn's will: the backing to create a team of heroes that would directly fight the Horrors. 

But that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.   :D

p.s.  Michael Stackpole if you read this don't hate me, just write more stories to prove me wrong. 

zenbubble

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-06-12/0011:28> »
Count me in.  I'd love to see more Wolf & Raven stories.

WellSpokenRunner - I love your ideas on how the group has advanced, and may steal a couple of ideas for my own game.

-Chris

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-06-12/1808:03> »
At least one of them should have died.  A poignant death adds to the characters.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #5 on: <02-06-12/1845:31> »
At least one of them should have died.  A poignant death adds to the characters.

Only if it fits the story. Otherwise, it is simply Overused Cliche #24.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <02-06-12/1921:46> »
Only if it fits the story. Otherwise, it is simply Overused Cliche #24.
I thought that one was the "Two guys and a window"?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <02-06-12/1930:48> »
No, no, no. That's #17.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <02-06-12/2003:29> »
No, no, no. That's #17.
Oh right.  Yeah, #24 is the Poignant Death of an established character off-scene.  Usually due to not being able to get the actor again.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #9 on: <02-06-12/2118:51> »

Everyone forgot Tom Electric. Didn't get much "screen" time, but if you need a sacrificial lamb. Personally, I could also see Stealth going down in some blaze of glory, maybe even to the point that they cant recover the body. Thus, he starts to become something of an legend or urban myth. Kid Stealth sighthings become almost as popular as Elvis. As such, maybe a protoge of his takes up the torch.
« Last Edit: <02-06-12/2123:29> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <02-06-12/2150:22> »
Everyone forgot Tom Electric. Didn't get much "screen" time, but if you need a sacrificial lamb. Personally, I could also see Stealth going down in some blaze of glory, maybe even to the point that they cant recover the body. Thus, he starts to become something of an legend or urban myth. Kid Stealth sighthings become almost as popular as Elvis. As such, maybe a protoge of his takes up the torch.
Either that or he forgot to get the undercoating one winter and rusted away.  ;)

And no one is dead until you're recovered the body and ensured it can't come back.  Then again, he might have been encased in concrete up to his neck and dumped into the Sound.  Or eaten by a shark.  Appropriate in some ways...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

WellSpokenRunner

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <02-07-12/2004:11> »
Actually if you were going to sacrifice someone then use Valerie Valkyrie.  I mean think of all the ways you could kill (or do worse) to a decker.  And then maybe her death makes her baseball player adept boyfriend become a twisted way adept....

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #12 on: <02-07-12/2112:59> »
Actually if you were going to sacrifice someone then use Valerie Valkyrie.  I mean think of all the ways you could kill (or do worse) to a decker.  And then maybe her death makes her baseball player adept boyfriend become a twisted way adept....

I thought Tiger Jackson and she hooked up, or at least that's what HE wanted...  ???

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

WellSpokenRunner

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <02-07-12/2349:54> »
If I remember, Tiger hit on her as part of his tough guy act (trying to look bad ass to impress Wolf and Raven) and got shot down.  But Val had a thing for Jimmy, the non-cybered baseball guy. 

Personally though I don't thing poignant death adds to characters.  But every character I build seems to have some nemesis or archenemy, so it's not so much death but a life of constant torture and threats.... ;D

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: <02-08-12/0939:40> »
If I remember, Tiger hit on her as part of his tough guy act (trying to look bad ass to impress Wolf and Raven) and got shot down.  But Val had a thing for Jimmy, the non-cybered baseball guy. 

Personally though I don't thing poignant death adds to characters.  But every character I build seems to have some nemesis or archenemy, so it's not so much death but a life of constant torture and threats.... ;D

Depends on the manor in which said character dies. Going out in a blaze of glory or in some epic way, Im good. Examples of this: Boromir in Lord of the Rings, Katsumoto in The Last Samuari, or even George Kirk in the 2009 Star Trek (hey I liked it, so sue me!). I just hate when good characters go out like punks or that their deaths are nothing more than a convienient plot device and serve no other purpose.