NEWS

What Happened to the old school 1%er MCs in the 6th World?

• 13 Replies

Vibral

• Newb
  • Deaf Mute
« on: <04-06-15/1300:41> »
Hi Runners,

I’m trying to find some info on the old school MCs that exist today (Ex: Hell’s Angels, Sons of Silence… etc…) but have come across little to no information listed about them in the 6th world. Sure they have info on Go Gangers but those aren’t true 1%ers in my book. They in general don’t have the organization, reach, covered area, or influence the guys we have today have/had. They don’t seem to ride for the same reasons and that irks me a little.

So my question is thus, Is there any documented info on what happened? Why they went the way of the Dodo or just aren’t mentioned?

With so much organized crime in the 6th world having Corp ties or still existing in a near pre WWII way I’m just surprised the MCs aren’t included in the fun.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-06-15/1333:31> »
MCs?

Vibral

• Newb
  • Deaf Mute
« Reply #2 on: <04-06-15/1356:11> »
I apologize. MC is an abbreviation for Motorcycle Club which is what nearly all of the Outlaw Biker Gangs even today refer to themselves as. Like Hell's Angels even say on their website (yes they have a Website) "International Hells Angels motorcycle club official website"  1%er is a term dating back to the 50s ish when a published stat by an organization in the US said that only about 1% of all Motorcycle Riders/Club members participated in illegal activity and from that "1%er" is a term still used today to refer to those members of Outlaw motorcycle Clubs.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #3 on: <04-06-15/1441:40> »
I want to say Vice mentions them, the Hell's Angels and the Pagans specifically. They mostly do smuggling iirc and are very downplayed.

Edit- Annnnd... I'm wrong about them being in Vice.
« Last Edit: <04-06-15/1446:20> by Angelone »
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Vibral

• Newb
  • Deaf Mute
« Reply #4 on: <04-06-15/1547:41> »
I guess if they don't exist I have free rein to do whatever I want with them. I was just kind of hoping there was something on them somewhere to explain why they aren't mentioned.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-06-15/1600:50> »
They probably aren't mentioned to avoid law suits.

Vibral

• Newb
  • Deaf Mute
« Reply #6 on: <04-06-15/1714:07> »
Somehow I doubt that lawsuits were the reason they were left out. I mean they mention companies like BMW by name. Why would they fear a lawsuit from a bunch of Bikers vs. pissing off one of the world's larger car manufacturers?

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-06-15/1730:33> »
There's a big difference between saying "this corp gets bought out by X" and "this gang is a group of thieves and ruffians".

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #8 on: <04-06-15/1740:50> »
Check into the 3rd Ed Sourcebook,  Shadows of North America.
I'm almost positive there were mentions of MCs doing activities in the US & Canada and I want to say the Angels were one of them.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <04-06-15/1835:46> »
I want to say Vice mentions them, the Hell's Angels and the Pagans specifically. They mostly do smuggling iirc and are very downplayed.

Edit- Annnnd... I'm wrong about them being in Vice.
This s a tough one, the German Vice ("Unterwelten") mentions them, but it is considerably longer than the English edition. Plus the specific section only concerns Europe and the AGS especially.

I read something about them as well. The basic line was, that Go-Gangs mostly took that place, which keeps in line with the Japan-culture domination of the cyberpunk genre in general. There were biker gangs in Quebec in the 2060s (mentioned in the SR3 sourcebook Shadows of North America p. 110) and in the Scandinavian Union (Shadows of Europe p. 136). In those countries they were the main elements of organized crime and likely remain in that position.
Liber et infractus

Sithlis

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <04-07-15/0014:08> »
I would argue that the Ancients have the range and influence, even if they don't ride for the same reasons.

Vibral

• Newb
  • Deaf Mute
« Reply #11 on: <04-07-15/1831:29> »
Hmm ok so they may still exist just Quebec and Scandinavia?  I'll go digging there...
Sounds like  I don't know enough around the Ancients then though the whole not riding for the same reasons really bothers me on a personal level.

Maybe that thought process or desire doesn't exist in the 6th world and the literal will to ride was sapped from the MCs and they were replaced with the Go Gangers. Which would be sad.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <04-07-15/1900:52> »
Well the German Shadowiki has a lengthy article on "Biker-Gangs" (i.e. MCs), so maybe that can serve you as an inspiration: http://www.shadowiki.de/Biker-Gangs

I introduced two MCs in one of my story-arcs for my 2060 CAS campaign along the ideas of the sources I mentioned and this article. Basically they belong to a group of "old value" Rebels, of which some have ties to the "True American" and "New Revolution" movements.
Liber et infractus

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #13 on: <04-07-15/2341:42> »
Hm.  I honestly would directly equate go-gangs with so-called 'motorcycle clubs'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.