NEWS

Nanotech Availability

• 6 Replies

忍

« on: <05-14-18/1714:32> »
I can understand the high availability of nano from a fluff perspective, but mechanically most of it is out of reach for characters (especially at gen).It seems pointless to have items that are so difficult to obtain. It limits direct CFD plot involvement. Limits character ideas (natch, it's vast, but just consider that nano is off the table).

Do y'all think the high availability is warranted or justified?

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-15-18/0057:43> »
Agreed. I would believe it would be rather easy to get hold of after the cfd scare, especially used nanotech. Its a shame. Ive tried several times to build a runner with mainly nanotech as his shtick, but the amount of restricted gear and nuyen makes that pretty much a no-go.
« Last Edit: <05-15-18/0208:10> by DigitalZombie »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <06-14-18/1635:55> »
I dunno,

How many stores sell Gold plated Iphones? Or how about asbestos oven mitts, overalls, and insulation?

Availability reflects  just how easy something is to get. Things with a high availability are that way because they don't make a lot of them, there are laws that prevent their sale (need a license), or people don't want: Like Nanotech after the CFD scare. Not to mention that many items made by nanotech also turned into huge piles of goo, causing many deaths also has a factor in that too... See Storm Front.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <06-15-18/1038:27> »
Yeah, it is like saying, "You know what, that Ebola scare a couple years ago was really bad, but that has to mean there's some nice Ebola gloves for cheap, right?"
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #4 on: <06-15-18/1628:49> »
Availability reflects  just how easy something is to get. Things with a high availability are that way because they don't make a lot of them, there are laws that prevent their sale (need a license), or people don't want: Like Nanotech after the CFD scare. Not to mention that many items made by nanotech also turned into huge piles of goo, causing many deaths also has a factor in that too... See Storm Front.

This is pretty much my thinking, too.

"Sure, I'd sell ya' nanotech if you're crazy enough to want it, but I can't find any suppliers willing to touch it after all the bad rep it's gotten!"

After all the bad press, stocking that would be like going through the trouble of keeping a 'discount bin' of moldy food for sale... or for those still interested, paying top nuyen for guaranteed 'clean' nanotech.

Granted, if someone in my game was looking for readily available nanotech 'on the cheap' they would likely be able to find it if they looked hard enough, but don't blame me when they start having weird blackouts and holes in their memory...

Crunch~

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <06-15-18/2127:14> »
Is there thread going somewhere? I don't see it.
CFD whatever, we all knew Nantes like all tech was gonna be dangerous. It's still the best hope for cool options, so give time cool off but it'll be back and we'll get all kinds new areas of tech to look at.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-22-18/0144:06> »
cant you buy used nanohives? that would reduce the availability to char gen territory. and the schtick could be this guy was afraid of the CFD so he got it taken out of him so I can give to to you on the cheap if you really want it.