NEWS

[Resource][Biodrone] Aquatic biodrones from EVO for Evil Masterminds

• 15 Replies

BRodda

• Newb
  • I create stupid useless things.
« on: <01-15-15/1305:12> »
These two drones were inspired by a thread on Dumpshock a long time ago where someone went all Dr. Evil and said they just wanted some sharks with freaking lasers on their heads.  I then followed up with mutated sea bass out of a sense of irony. Funny thing is I know more people have used the sea bass in games then the sharks.
The Oyster was a target of a run I did a long time ago. As it was also Evo and aquatic I decided to add it here rather than give it its own post. The text is a prereleased press notice handout for the players.

Evo Aquatic Anti-Intrusion Biodrone (AKA the Dr. Evil Special)
Cost: 225,000¥
Availability: 24F

Evo is proud to partner with Ares to produce the next step in the evolution of the world’s greatest predator, the Evo Aquatic Anti-Intrusion Biodrone. Based on the biological template of the Mako shark the already fined tuned underwater hunter has been augmented with state a state of the art CAST and SEIES biodrone systems. It also includes a Strip interface so your riggers can jump into the bodies of these technological terrors of the deep. With its upgraded it’s already fearsome teeth have been augmented with a Smartlinked Ares Heavy MP Laser; just the thing to deal with drones, subs or other underwater nuisances.

Evo Underwater Shark Biodrone
Attributes:
Body: 8
Agility: 5
Reaction: 6
Strength: 7
Charisma: 1
Intuition: 4
Logic: 1
Willpower: 3
Edge: 1
Essence: 0.95
Init: 11 +2D6

Movement: x3/x8/+4 (swimming)
Skills: Perception (Smell) 6 (+2), Swimming 10, Unarmed Combat 8
Powers: Armor 2, Enhanced Senses (Smell), Gills, Natural Weapon (Bite: DV 9P, AP -2), Magnetoception

Cyberware: Rigger Interface [Biodorone], cybereyes1 (Thermo, Image Link), Skillwires

Bioware: Bone Density Augmentation (1)

Autosofts:
Dodge 4, Exotic Ranged Weapon: Laser Weapons 4

Weapons: Ares Archon Heavy MP Laser (Battery pack good for 20 shots) with Smartlink (when used underwater use the following range DV modifiers [Medium –4, Long –8, Extreme –12]) [R&G pg49]

Evo Corporation Sea Guardian
Cost: 17,000¥
Availability: 15R

For those areas where you just don’t want intruders Evo presents the Sea Guardian. Starting with the base genetic template of the giant sea bass (Stereolepis Gigas). This bio-engineered guardian is the size of a large troll (800lbs/360kg) and over 3 meters in length. It is tough and heavily armored, able to take a beating and come back for more. It can also be directed to areas with its Orientation Goad which can be tied into your sensor network.

Attributes:
Body: 7
Agility:5
Reaction: 3
Strength: 5
Intuition: 4
Willpower: 3
Edge: 0
Essence: 0.15
Init: 8 +1D6

Movement: x2/x4/+2 (swimming)
Skills: Perception 2, Swimming 4, Unarmed Combat 6
Powers: Armor(2+3RH), Gills
Qualities: Tough as Nails (2), Rhino Hide, Weak Immune System, Berserker
Cyberware: Orientation Goad (Biodrone can be directed to an area, but cannot be jumped into by a rigger), Spurs (Bite: DV 8P, AP 0)

Evo Corporation Extractor Oyster

As a triumph of bioengineering Evo Corporation is proud to introduce the Extractor oyster. This oyster is roughly twice the size of a normal oyster, but it is capable of cleaning even the toxic waters of the North Sea or Boston Harbor! These remarkable mollusks extract the toxins from the water and encapsulate them into harmless nodules that can easily be collected and disposed of safely by drones or divers. Each oyster lives for 4 years and each one can be expected to clean almost 15 thousand kiloliters of water over its life time! Call your local Evo sales rep for more details on how to reclaim YOUR beaches today!

Projected retail cost per oyster: 5,000¥
Attributes:
Body: 2
Agility: 1
Reaction: 1
Strength: 2
Intuition: 3
Willpower: 1
Edge: 3
Init: 2 +1D6

Movement: x2/x3/+1
Skills: Swim 1
Powers: Armor (5),  Gills, Immunity (Pathogens, Toxins)
Weaknesses: Reduced Senses(all), Dietary Requirement (Toxins, daily)

Note: The clams are capable of removing the toxins from water (oil, gasoline, mercury) and condense the material into “pearls” of pure toxins. It does so at the rate of 10 kilo-liters per day. The pearls are worthless to most, but the chemical taints can be extracted from them in the case of particularly expensive chemicals. The pearls are coated in a hard lacquer and expelled to the bottom of the ocean when they get to large.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #1 on: <01-15-15/1623:15> »
Curious what rhino hide does andd does it exist in 5th ed? Also, does the shark need some armor as well, besides bone density (irnonic since sharks don't have bones).
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-15-15/1639:32> »
Curious what rhino hide does andd does it exist in 5th ed? Also, does the shark need some armor as well, besides bone density (irnonic since sharks don't have bones).

Rhino hide adds 2 to armor.

I looked to add some armor to the shark, but after all the biodrone crap in 5th it had almost no essence.

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <01-15-15/1644:40> »

Rhino hide adds 2 to armor.

I looked to add some armor to the shark, but after all the biodrone crap in 5th it had almost no essence.

If you were willing to up the price at all (and considering this is almost military level availability, the cost could probably go up a bit), you could go Alphaware (or above) Orthoskin 4. I would also try and fit Titanium/Aluminum Bone Lacing in there. Just sort of goes with the whole killer shark motif.

Although, I am skeptical about how well a laser works underwater. The water would disperse, fragment, and weaken the intensity of the laser; as well as probably lowering the temperature it could create.
« Last Edit: <01-15-15/1646:45> by 8-bit »

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-15-15/1740:50> »
There was a 14 page thread on this on DS. The laser and wireless working underwater. We ended up all agreeing to using the DVs from pouring rain. That and some handwavium about blue-green lasers.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <01-15-15/1741:13> »
Sharks with frickin' lasers on their heads.  Awesome.

Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <01-15-15/1758:49> »
There was a 14 page thread on this on DS. The laser and wireless working underwater. We ended up all agreeing to using the DVs from pouring rain. That and some handwavium about blue-green lasers.

Fair enough.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #7 on: <01-15-15/2113:38> »
Thanks.

Also, raise the price of the bio-drones, and raise the rating of the 'ware, besides SHARKS WITH LASERS! This means reason does not matter, besides I want 10!!!!!
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <01-20-15/0223:03> »
... that's a really good idea for the clams.  I highly doubt an oyster is going to be able to completely filter 10,000 liters of water per day, though, even if it is double normal size; that's cleaning all the water in (roughly) a 12' round swimming pool.  Per day.  From an oyster that's, what, 6" across?  Completely cleaning 10l, maybe, but not 10,000.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-20-15/1045:48> »
Standard real life oyster can clean 100 liters per day.

http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/elist/eListRead/can_oysters_save_chesapeake_bay/

I doubled the size so I used a rough version of Square-cube Law and squared the volume. 100 x100 = 10,000 Liters.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-20-15/2012:11> »
“Medium-sized oysters can filter around five liters of water per hour, or over 100 liters a day. But most of what they filter is put right back,” Luckenbach said. “The calculations don’t end with what they can filter, they end with how much nitrogen they actually take out and that is where the real problem comes from.”

While I personally don't think the square-cube law would work for that, I don't mind it working - but then, going by the above quote, I'd also have to say that the mental concept of what 'filtered' means is different.  Scientifically - at least in biology, as it's saying above - if it filters 5 liters an hour, that's the amount of water actually going through the critter.  That doesn't mean that what goes in one side comes out the other side sparkling clean; it just means that that amount of water is channelled.  What I, at least, tend to think when I read 'filtered' is like a water filter - 5 liters goes through, but when it comes out, it's pretty damn sparkling clean.  Biological systems are notoriously inefficient in that regards.

What you might state is either a) that while 10k liters goes through it, only X% of the contaminants are removed, and X is likely to be a low single-digit number; or else simply state that it cleans Y liters of water a day, or some such thing, with Y being a relatively low number as well.
Pananagutan & End/Line

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <01-20-15/2243:19> »
Or I can just say that the numbers in the ad are for the largest specimen that they created under optimal conditions and only for one contaminant.

But corporations would never  do that would they?

They definitively would never send a team of people who shoot other people in the face for money after someone who might have data that the oyster is only 10% as effective as advertised....

Just saying....

8-bit

« Reply #12 on: <01-20-15/2251:58> »
Or I can just say that the numbers in the ad are for the largest specimen that they created under optimal conditions and only for one contaminant.

But corporations would never  do that would they?

They definitively would never send a team of people who shoot other people in the face for money after someone who might have data that the oyster is only 10% as effective as advertised....

Just saying....

And thus the next Shadowrun was funded.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-20-15/2308:44> »
*smiles*  Good point.  However, remember that when you're posting these things, you're needing to post the game-play-facts, not the in-game advertising.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <01-21-15/0008:36> »
*smiles*  Good point.  However, remember that when you're posting these things, you're needing to post the game-play-facts, not the in-game advertising.  ;)

I did say it was a handout advertisement to the players.

Never really gave the amount that the oyster could process to much thought honestly. It didn't have to much bearing on the game. I just did some handwaving math to make it sound impressive.