NEWS

Slang for Adept?

• 6 Replies

ve4grm

• Omae
« on: <10-21-16/2136:31> »
Hey all,

I'm looking for what slang terms would be used to describe a physical adept. Similar to Gilette or Razorgirl, but for magic instead of chrome.

Thanks!
Thought || Speech || Matrix/com || Astral

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-22-16/0345:15> »
That's not that easy, because adepts come in so many flavors an none looks like the other.

Physical adepts with an unarmed focus have been called Bruisers, Brawler and Brucelee
Social adepts have been known as Snake Charmer, Shouters and Face

Mystic adepts have been called (at least in our group) wonder boy, boy wonder, Mary Sue and "that annoying little shit"
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <10-22-16/0932:59> »
Mystic adepts have been called (at least in our group) wonder boy, boy wonder, Mary Sue and "that annoying little shit"

lol
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <10-22-16/1307:42> »
As JS said, terms for Adepts change depending on their role. Even when you narrow it down to adepts following the Way of the Warrior, for instance, there's a variety. Someone who focuses on devastating punches and kicks may be BruceLee. Someone with a penchant for acrobatics could be Jackie, or Chan. Someone who pushes everything to shooting could be Tex or Hawkeye, or maybe even Ash, if they prefer shotguns. And so on.

There's basically no universal slang for adepts, because they are so disparate in their expressions, and they're generally harder to pick out than wizworms, who have a tendency to draw attention to themselves.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ve4grm

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-22-16/1928:47> »
Of course it will depend on their role, just as a chromed decker or rigger, or even a ranged spec sammy, wouldn't be known as a gilette or razorgirl. I was specifically looking for an equivalent to those, meaning a PhysAd sammy-type, probably melee.

If there isn't one, I'll probably just use Gilette to mean any melee or katana-wielding archetype.
Thought || Speech || Matrix/com || Astral

Kenico

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-05-16/1739:34> »
Magi Samurai

basically an Adept is the Magical Counterpart of the Street Samurai, why not call them Magi Samurai or Mage Sams?

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #6 on: <11-06-16/1019:51> »
Magi Samurai

basically an Adept is the Magical Counterpart of the Street Samurai, why not call them Magi Samurai or Mage Sams?

Magerai?

In my game I've used (disparagingly). Vorpal bunny a couple of times. (As in "ah drek, it's one of those fragging vorpal bunnies" )