NEWS

Origin of Laes

• 9 Replies

gargaM0NK

• Newb
« on: <07-05-12/1147:25> »
At my ST's advice, I have deliberately avoided reading most of the setting books, so I could experience more joy of discovery in character.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction (unless you happen to just know) of the origin of Laes, most particularly when it started showing up on the market.

Thanks in advance!

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-05-12/1202:48> »
Laes first gets mentioned in the Tir Taingire sourcebook... Tir border patrols catch intruders, interrogate 'em, probably mind proce 'em, then strip 'em of their stuff, does them with Laes to forget the previous 24 hours, and dump them over the border to fend for themselves.

Lone Star eventually managed to reverse-engineer it after picking up someone with a fresh enough dose in their system and, from there, it spread around a bit. Eventually the criminal syndicates got wind of it, and it made it out into general circulation, if quite rare, as a rape drug of choice. (It gets mixed with a drink, the victim passes out, and doesn't remember what happened.) ... There are some Humanis-ish gangs of rich punks who started a fad of "Unicorning", where Elf girls woul dbe targeted, abused while recorded, and have their hair lopped off as a trophy. (Based on the old Spur Posse routine, because, you know, you can never go wrong with Humanis thugs as bad guys.)

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #2 on: <07-05-12/1310:04> »
It's still a very controlled substance, though, only known to be grown in the Tir.  The smuggling and distribution of Laes (and Laes-derivatives, like the wine, the cigarettes laced with it, etc, etc), and the fact they've got the market on it cornered, is a reasonable chunk of the profits earned by several of the more notorious elf-only criminal organizations, like the Ancients and -- especially -- the Laesa syndicate.  There are, of course, rumors that some interested parties within the Tir government allows this "smuggling," because it's an easy way to rake in some cash for themselves, and there's no other plausible way to explain how so much of it hits the markets (and, of course, by allowing a certain level of "smuggling," they're able to control that flow instead of really having to crack down on it, so they're actually just using the Ancients and Laesa as a sort of safety valve, as they have in the past in other ways).

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-05-12/1315:51> »
I believe it's made from the fruit of an Awakened tree, but I can't remember the details offhand.

Laes or the weaker, reverse-engineered form mentioned above, Lael, can be extremely useful for a runner team. Erasing the memory of witnesses lets the runners keep information about them from getting out without having to physically harm anyone. And if the runners obtain it by beating and robbing date rapists, then they get free lael and the satisfaction of making the world a better place.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <07-05-12/1412:55> »
I believe it's made from the fruit of an Awakened tree, but I can't remember the details offhand.
It is.  The tree was recently showcased in Parabotany, too.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-05-12/1418:35> »

A rather keen book all around, I might add. The artwork's gorgeous.

gargaM0NK

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-09-12/1206:36> »
Thanks for the info, chummers!  The particular piece I'm hunting for is the earliest time a runner could have gotten a hold of laes / lael / laesal wine via U.C.A.S. black market.  Here are some pieces I've put together

Tir Tairngire closes it's borders and subsequently nationalizes in 2035. No Tir, no laes.
2058 is the first appearance of the Rinelle ke'Tesrae, who are rumored to be the forefathers of Laesa.

edit:
And I found your mention in the Tir source, p96-97 "Border Infractions ... Most of the time, the Peace Forcer border contingent'll just work you over, hit you with a dose of laes ... (16:37:27/3-25-54)". So it's definitely around as of then.

Since the Ancients are known to be laes smugglers, I tracked down their formation.
The Ancients have been around as early as "the 2030s" (Seattle 2072 p180).  I read that as "as early as there were exiles from Tir Tairngire."
« Last Edit: <07-09-12/1232:08> by gargaM0NK »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <07-09-12/1252:03> »

A rather keen book all around, I might add. The artwork's gorgeous.
Plus, it has BOOZE!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-09-12/1309:01> »
Not a thing for me, that. I've never had alchohol. (Or tobacco, or narcotics of any kind.)

Strange, but true.

But if it'll get people to pick it up? Yay booze!

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #9 on: <07-20-12/0108:15> »
or better yet,

YAY!,, umm i can't remember why i wanted to say YAY, but ummm,,, anyone seen my guns?
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!