NEWS

Armors and Stacking

• 91 Replies

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <09-08-10/0932:32> »
Discretion always matters.  ;D

Tactically speaking...shadowrunners are always going to lose in a protracted engagement. As soon as runners forget that rule, in my games, they are toast. Getting into combat is all too easy, breaking contact with the opposition and escaping that is the trick.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #46 on: <09-08-10/0949:33> »
Agreed. While there might be plans that require a Milspec armored troll with an LMG during the getaway, plans involving said troll on the way in are pretty much destined to fail. Except in military campaigns. *ahem*
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #47 on: <09-08-10/0952:14> »
Actually, what disturbs me is more "why would a megacorp choose a milspec armor when she can get better and cheaper results with armor stacking ?" ^^"
I do agree options are pretty cool - I particulary like options about movement, mobility upgrade, hydraulic Jacks and so, which allow terrific tactics - but I've got difficulties to admit these armors are overtaken in protection by a simple basic armor stacking.
In SR3 these armors where hardened, no way hurting the wearer if the damage code was too weak, no test required, too bad there's no such rule here.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #48 on: <09-08-10/1000:39> »
Maintenance, storage, upgradeability, "visual impact" factor... take your pick.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #49 on: <09-08-10/1010:48> »
Also, the "stackable" armor can't store any of the extras.  Milspec armor allows for much higher armor ratings before penalties accrue, as well.  A weapon mount can also be added to the armor for that extra bit of heavy firepower.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #50 on: <09-08-10/1013:42> »
Wow, I've never looked closely at the SWAT armor before, that seems kind of silly.  Effectively a milspec armor that stacks with form fitting and PPP?  Ugh.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #51 on: <09-08-10/1025:30> »
Even cops dial 911. And when they do, you'd better be loooooong gone...

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #52 on: <09-08-10/1705:29> »
This thread's pretty interesting.  None of my characters, and really none of the others those I play with made, have been very armor heavy.  We've always preferred to simply not get hit in the first place.  But to each his own.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #53 on: <09-08-10/1756:03> »
It kind of feels like I am talking past a couple of posters here.

In my opinion, milspec armor belongs in military adventures not something to be found in your average Shadowrun.

Still my opinion, at the point where I see armor stacking get out of hand (and this is GM taste) I will give the player an OOC "really, that seems like a good idea to you?" Should they persist, they might get a random traffic stop by the Star (yeah, it may not be PC to profile but my cops at Lone Star do), a heat wave (if the time of year is appropriate), and so forth. Normally, it doesn't take too long for the message to sink in.

The point of keeping milspec armor in a certain range of protection is game balance (because the designers know that if it exists it is probably going to make its way into a situation where it doesn't really fit), if the only way to take out a guy wearing it is with an assault cannon things get skewed really fast.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #54 on: <09-08-10/1758:00> »
Honestly, the milspec armor seems fine, it's the swat and other "medium" body armors that seem a bit out of whack.

« Reply #55 on: <09-08-10/1820:09> »
if the only way to take out a guy wearing it is with an assault cannon things get skewed really fast.
"Military armor is wireless-enabled (automatically subscribed to the helmet’s commlink)"

I think I see a weak point.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #56 on: <09-08-10/1832:14> »
Mod it to be skinlinked.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #57 on: <09-09-10/0127:45> »
Actually, what disturbs me is more "why would a megacorp choose a milspec armor when she can get better and cheaper results with armor stacking ?" ^^"
Becouse she can actually wear the millspec armor and not get penalties, even if she's an elf or human.
Millspeck armor allows low body inviduals to wear much more armor then they could otherwise.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #58 on: <09-09-10/0230:58> »
Plus it just looks WAY cooler and more intimidating than a patchwork armor!

Scruffy

• Newb
« Reply #59 on: <09-09-10/0632:22> »
  Even though Milspec armour has bonuses and options etc, as a player I always thought donning milspec armour was like putting a huge target on your head and just inviting all sorts of trouble. My preferred option is to stack armour, particularly form fitting and a Mortimer of London Greatcoat plus cyberware and bioware. Try to go at least sort of low key, rather than begging my gm to drop a swat team on my head whenever I wander down to the Stuffer Shack.
  I would rather draw aggro because I am standing in combat of my choosing gunning down combatants not because I have been seen by any number of people thinking  'who the f**k is that, hello 911?'. I usually have a similar view of weapons, usually.

8)
(Threats from a mage and a thug)
Scruffy: Look I've just returned from runs in Lagos & Chicago and am currently headed to Denver, so get lost and rob someone else.
Thug: (jumps from cover, sprays automatic fire, hits nothing) Drek!
Scruffy: (quick draws Savalette, shoots once, kills thug) Okay...