NEWS

Those of you w/ the core rulebook - help me make a badass!

• 89 Replies

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <08-12-19/0125:33> »
So, I began work on my Elf Adept.  Here is what I have so far:

I set priorities as A (Attributes - 24), B (Magic - Adept 3), C (Metatype - Elf 9), Skills (16 pts), E (Resources (8,000 Nyuen)

My Attributes look like this far after allocating my 24 build pts and 9 Meta pts:

Body: 4
Agility: 6
Reaction: 6
Strength: 4

Willpower: 3
Logic: 5
Intuition: 5
Charisma: 3

Edge: 5
Essence:
Magic: 4

I think that you do not begin with any pts in Edge, so you have to dump pts into it from your Metatype to have any pts in it.

I have 16 pts to put into Skills as my next part of character creation before spending my 8,000 nyuen on equipment and looking at adept powers.  I also have to spend 50 pts of Karma on improvements as well.

Any feedback so far?
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/0127:06> by Moonrunner »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <08-12-19/0139:35> »
I think Edge is supposed to start at 1 just like normal attributes

The most annoying thing about raising Magic in chargen is that under strict RAW, you're losing out on a Power Point that you can never get back by increasing Magic now. If you're playing a homegame, check with your GM because I strongly disagree with it. (Maybe have some sort of training process to unlock the Point over time.) Under SRM, you'll have to wait for the Missions FAQ and/or official FAQ/clarifications.

Attribute-wise you're solid, Strength not too low so you're not easily disarmed / grappled. Logic seems a bit unusual, why not Willpower as primary mental?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <08-12-19/0203:51> »
I think Edge is supposed to start at 1 just like normal attributes

The most annoying thing about raising Magic in chargen is that under strict RAW, you're losing out on a Power Point that you can never get back by increasing Magic now. If you're playing a homegame, check with your GM because I strongly disagree with it. (Maybe have some sort of training process to unlock the Point over time.) Under SRM, you'll have to wait for the Missions FAQ and/or official FAQ/clarifications.

Attribute-wise you're solid, Strength not too low so you're not easily disarmed / grappled. Logic seems a bit unusual, why not Willpower as primary mental?

Thanks for the feedback.  I had not looked at Adept powers and stuff yet so I had assumed Logic was the main stat for that.  I can easily change it to Willpower though if that is what I'd need instead.

As for Edge starting at 1, I cannot find that in the core rulebook.  Is that how it works? I really hope so.  The book mentions that all physical and mental attributes begin at 1 but says not all races begin with points in special attributes.  But nowhere does it seem to mention a race starting with anything in the special attributes.  The race section does not seem to mention it.
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/0207:34> by Moonrunner »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <08-12-19/0207:20> »
Page 156: Adepts resist drain with Body + Willpower. So I'd switch out Logic for Willpower and keep Intuition high, both for combat and for Perception.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <08-12-19/0212:05> »
After the Logic/Willpower switcharoo my stats now look like this:

Body: 4
Agility: 6
Reaction: 6
Strength: 4

Willpower: 5
Logic: 3
Intuition: 5
Charisma: 3

Edge: 5
Essence:
Magic: 4

If Edge does indeed start at 1 that will refund 1 more pt to me that I will dump into Intuition.
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/0218:48> by Moonrunner »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-12-19/0727:48> »
I just want to inform that there is also a whole section of the forum dedicated to specifically character builds and chargen advice over here :
https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?board=21.0

Your other thread where you asked the exact same question have already been moved there, and odds are that this thread will also be moved (or merged with your other thread).
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/0730:12> by Xenon »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <08-12-19/0747:18> »
I just want to inform that there is also a whole section of the forum dedicated to specifically character builds and chargen advice over here :
https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?board=21.0

Your other thread where you asked the exact same question have already been moved there, and odds are that this thread will also be moved (or merged with your other thread).
Another "You are correct!"

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-12-19/0915:46> »
Metatype   E
Attributes   A
Skills   C
Magic   D
Resources   B

S   5 (9)
A   7 (11)
R   5 (8  )
B   3  (+4 to Soak)
I   5
L   2
C   2
W   3
Magic 1
Essence 0.31
Edge 2

Stealth          4   
Perception          5   
Athletics           5   
Engineering   1    5
Con                   1    5
Influence           1    5
Outdoors           1    5

Specializations      
Archery               5
Acting               5
Unarmed               5
Visual               5

Other Karma spends
Magic +1               5
Qualities               4
Nuyen               1
   Total:                50

Qualities
Dermal Deposits      12
Mentor Spirit, Thunderbird      10
Impaired Logic  2      -16
Addiction 1 Week      -2

Adept Powers   
Critical Strike   Thunderbird
Critical Strike   1 PP

Augment   
Bone Density   4  alpha
Muscle Replace   4  Used
Synap   3  Used

50,500 Nuyen remaining.  2 Knowledge skills remain. 

7 DV Unarmed Damage, with 19 Dice.  Should be one-shotting most stuff.  Could pick up 2 more Karma from Negative Qualities if you want.

For a Katana user dump Str and Dermal Deposits, put the attribute points into Body and Charisma.  You lose a point of DV, but you're still scary.

« Last Edit: <08-12-19/0918:24> by Hobbes »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <08-12-19/0935:20> »
The points you spend on positive qualities are supposed to count against the 50 points you get in step 4.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <08-12-19/1108:14> »
The points you spend on positive qualities are supposed to count against the 50 points you get in step 4.

Is this comment aimed at the build I posted or the one by Stainless Steel Devil Rat just above?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <08-12-19/1117:38> »
Both really, but mainly at Hobbes'... if I understand what he did.  It looks like he spent 50 karma on attributes and skills, and then some additional amount of karma on positive qualities offset by negative qualities.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <08-12-19/1147:12> »
Both really, but mainly at Hobbes'... if I understand what he did.  It looks like he spent 50 karma on attributes and skills, and then some additional amount of karma on positive qualities offset by negative qualities.

I had not spent Karma yet on my build but I am glad you mentioned this.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <08-12-19/1152:05> »

I had not spent Karma yet on my build but I am glad you mentioned this.

Also keep in mind that there's likely errata or a FAQ forthcoming that adds/clarifies that you lose Power Points when you lose Magic. But in the interim, Hobbes is right about it never saying that happens.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <08-12-19/1654:19> »
Depends on what Burnout rules the Errata team adopts, yes.  It's RAW for the moment.

Some editions Burnout happens at Magic 0, 5e it was when Max Magic equals 0. 

Spent 46 karma on "stuff", 22 Karma on Positive Qualities, 18 Bonus Karma from Negative Qualities.  I think that lands at net 50 spent? 

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-12-19/1659:30> »
Ah yes I was mistaken.