NEWS

Dirty Tricks - the Teaser and Speculation Thread

• 20 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« on: <11-03-12/1858:11> »
Those of you who do Facebook might have noticed a lovely cover pop up recently, for a book called Dirty tricks. If you haven't seen it yet, go look! It's lovely work  indeed! Not yet ready for sale, but, it's political season, so here's something to chat about while we wait...because goodness knows, those of us in the US aren't getting enough political ads right now. :)

This one's a teaser... There'll be more information when it's ready to launch, but I got permission to give out just a lil' taste, and to see what everyone might think is in there. We'll see who's a star prognasticator soon!

At the core, the book features politics and how Shadowrunners can be a factor. Dig up dirt, bury dirt, discover boxes full of ballots ... a whole new area for your game to cover, where you might not even need a gun! Gasp!

Several political hotspots get a look... I'll give one away in bit, but I'll leave it for y'all to guess where else might be covered. There's a look at significant political figures as well, natch. Such as ... we'll see!

"But Wak," you say, "I hate politics. Why should I care?"

Well, it wouldn't be a Shadowrunbook without metaplot, now would it?

For example, here's a question for you:
"What did Sirrurg the Destroyer just do, to show Aztechnology that if they want war, he'll give them war?"

OOoo, Dragon Civil War stuff?

"But Wak,"you say, "My guys don't play with dragons. What else can this book bring me?"

Hrm. Well, what if I told you that the CAS is covered, and for the first time ever, every single CAS state gets information supplied? Oh, updates for Texas, Atlanta, and New Orleans, but the first time *ever* for Mississippi, South Carolina, and the rest?  Iinformation and plot hooks on each and every state.

Egads!

There's a whole lot more, too, but I've probably said too much already.

So, now I turn it over to you guys. Speculation! Anticipation! Wailing and gnashing of teeth!
(Oh, and if you guys cast a vote at GenCon? You should maybe pick this up. Just maybe.)

What do *you* think is inside?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <11-03-12/1930:47> »
Oooh, Atlanta!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <11-03-12/2208:26> »
What do *you* think is inside?
Judging from the name, new ways of making money as a Shadowrunner by doing illegal things other than shooting people in the face for money?  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #3 on: <11-03-12/2237:53> »
The vote on the orc underground is going to take place or the results are going to be announced.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <11-03-12/2239:00> »
The vote on the orc underground is going to take place or the results are going to be announced.
Oh, like Votes are actually COUNTED or even COUNT in Shadowrun.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-03-12/2358:13> »
Oooh, Atlanta!

Not as much as I wanted, believe me. If it sells well, and enough people ask for more, maybe we can get a full-blown "Shadows Across the CAS" book. There's stuff in here from all over the world. I'm not gonna say word one about other sections, however; not my place.

Atlanta is in the Georgia section. It isn't the entire Georgia section. :)

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #6 on: <11-04-12/0311:58> »
Most importantly, I hear there's gonna be some intro fiction!  Wow!   ;D

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-04-12/0919:51> »
I can't help but feel that someone dropped the ball on the title. How can you get that close and not manage to correctly name it...Dirty Deeds (With the first chapter being Done Dirt Cheap of course).  ;D

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-04-12/0939:30> »
I can't help but feel that someone dropped the ball on the title. How can you get that close and not manage to correctly name it...Dirty Deeds (With the first chapter being Done Dirt Cheap of course).  ;D

You'll see a few dirty tricks being done between the covers, in fact. (Also, the CAS section is the Dirty South, so hey.)

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-04-12/1347:12> »
I can't help but feel that someone dropped the ball on the title. How can you get that close and not manage to correctly name it...Dirty Deeds (With the first chapter being Done Dirt Cheap of course).

The original title was going to be "Dirty Work", but Norm Macdonald kinda ruined that name.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #10 on: <11-04-12/2003:29> »
Can't what to read about NOLA, and the rest of the CAS.
Andrew Grim

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-04-12/2047:44> »
Can't what to read about NOLA, and the rest of the CAS.

The BIG book on NOLA is Smuggler Havens. This section builds on it, but grab Havens if you want some THICK data. NOLA here is about a page, page and a half I think. Not seen the final layout with art and such yet. CAS is a part of the book, but all of the CAS combines to about a sixth of the book.

The main thrust is political, after all. Take a look at several elections that Runners can influence, how to work political forces into your game  (Such as a Johnson working for the FBI that wants to get data from inside a MCT facility), Humanis operations to keep metas down, metas trying to get dirt on elected officials with Humanis ties, IOND and Black Lodge influences, etc.

And there's a border or two that might be heating up a wee bit, for you military peoples.

Neat stuff! 

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #12 on: <11-04-12/2104:47> »
Any treaty of denver stuff?
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #13 on: <11-05-12/0028:01> »
Thanks, I  will have to look for Smugglers Havens. Some place I have the New Orleans articles in White Wolf magazine (same box as my Battletech books) that I have misplaced. I have a large gap from the last half of the '90s till 4th Edition that I stopped following.
Andrew Grim

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-05-12/0053:56> »
Any treaty of denver stuff?

That's a tricky one to answer. I'll hold off on that until teh actual release. (Which should be soon.)

Meanwhile, anyone care to guess what heinous act Sirrurg undertook?
(You can also ask more questions. Just know that some can't be answered. We'll answer what we can, tho!)
(( Also, there are a couple of fiction bits in the book. Don't skip 'em! They're neat!))