NEWS

Ares Macrotechnology and Insect Spirits

• 131 Replies

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <11-27-11/1232:12> »
Well looks like Ares is truelly fucked...

And Damien Knight is either a big deluded IDIOT(most likely) or possesed by something(unlikely).

As for Roger Soaring Owl...I think his revelation of that Ares might not only be experimenting with Insect Spirit queens but also might be infested with Insect spirits will probably cause not only a civil war within Ares as Damine's co partners try to kick him out or take power but also the other megas will take advantage and eat up Ares.

Not only them but also the Dragons(esp. Ghostwalker), the NANs, various secret orgs and the various militaries will probalby try to take Ares down too or at least clean it up of Bugs.

Probably a corporate court order...

This won't be easy and the takedown of Ares will probably result in worldwide chaos.

This will be EPIC.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <11-27-11/1234:27> »
Insect Spirits with the best firearms available on the market, people.  Think about that for a second...  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <11-27-11/1254:21> »
Well not really, maybe they got the best military but according to the corporate guide, Knight only owns like 23 percent of the company...his rivals own like 36 percent together(with 12 percent owned by the Draco foundation).

However Knight's controlling share is in weapons research so yeah he may have the best weapons but all Megas(Corporate court), Dragons, major powers, even secret societies combined will smash Knight so it will be bloody.

As for the powers who want Knight's head I can say that Aztechnology, Renraku, Saeder krupp, Maersk(AA), Proteus(AA)have axes to grind vs. Ares.

Well Aztechnology hates Ares for its support of teh Yucatan rebels and the Amazonians and see Ares firmly behind the CAS. All the rest including Azzies see Ares as a competitor in their arms industries and wish to see Ares taken down or eaten by them since Ares is top dog in this field.

Also the Dragon groups and cults have a proviso in exterminating the bugs whenever they are found, so expect the Dragons to try to take out Damien Knight...interesting as said earlier that the Draco foundation controls like 12 percent of Ares. Maybe we can have an alliane with Vogel and the Draco to kick out Knight and control Ares. Ares would be a powerful tool for Dragons not with Saeder Krupp.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #18 on: <11-27-11/1257:22> »
Unless we see a Dragon Civil War occur.  And there's still the Immortal Elves to consider, I highly doubt we've seen the last of them.

Harley at the very least.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #19 on: <11-27-11/1257:59> »
Insect Spirits with the best firearms available on the market, people.  Think about that for a second...  ;D
Insect spirits with top of the line Ares weapons < Thor shot
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <11-27-11/1307:00> »
While the dragons consider the bugs, blood spirits, toxics to be threats, these are not considered top priority by the dragons...

These guys consider major moves by other dragons to be the top threats or an outside force(like the Aztechnology actively looking for anti dragon weapons).

While the bug spirits, toxics etc. are big threats to mankind, I think dragon hubris and preoocupation with each other power games distract them from these guys...heck I won't be surprised if the Great dragons use the bugs, toxics on each other or their enemies.

There are even rumors of a few dragons going Toxic(Pobre) or that great dragon that supposedly lairs in the SOX(Lofwy's rival) who turned mutant and crazy.

What about this scary notion...a dragon possesed by a Insect spirit(queen). Possible and scary.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <11-27-11/1320:24> »
The immortal elves are preety much around...Harlequin came back after a decade under the radar.

The immortal elves got their own agenda.

So in the books what are the main conspiracies:

Great dragons: Yeah too wrapped up in their rivalries which is starting to become a civil war and starting to affect everyone.

Great Dragons vs. the Azzies: Well mainly Sirrurg and the Great dragon who rules Amazonia.

Bugs: The Bug threat is the increasing threat while everyone is busy. and Yeah they are starting to creep up everywhere. In Earthdawn, the bugs became a grave threat which nearly destroyed the kingdoms of Barsaive(Invae burnings).

True Vampires: I don't think the vampires want global domination since they already have their claws in many ruling circles of countries and orgs. The infected probably want to be left alone on their devices.

Elves: Well the main metahuman rivals of the Dragons for like a very long time.

Azzies= Therans: Yeah you have to wonder about this, the Azzies use blood magic a lot like the Therans. Makes you think that the Theran immortals control the Azzies.

Imperial Japan: Well they are trying to take over the world and failing at that though Japan is probably the strongest economic and military(debatable) power in the world.  These guys are too distracted by their internal problems and the Ryumyo vs. Lung/Masaru rivalry.

The Black Lodge vs. everyone else. : Well another org trying to take over the world.....the Dragons and Elves will probably be amused. Probably behind that filed attempt to unite the UCAS and CAS as the Black Lodge is more power and influential in the UCAS and CAS.  Not surprised if they are behind Imperial Japan too since the Black Lodge are humano centric like Imperial Japan is.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <11-27-11/1322:45> »
Forgot:

I also won't be surpried to see Sirrurg getting some Toxics and Bug spirits and even Shedim to hit the Azzies.

I read in Conspiracy Theories that Mannaus the capital of Amazonia has one of the largest hives in the world. If the Dragons do not like the Bugs so why is there a major yard in the backyard of a Great Dragon, no to mention a bunch of great snakes and Lindworms too.

Maybe bug spirits are their favorite snacks.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <11-27-11/1520:06> »
How did that line go again in Ghost Story of The Dresden Files about Vampires?  "We don't need to pen in our food.  It's already been done.  They're called 'Cities'."

Something like that.  Yes, they're the Sparkly Vampires, but the ass they kick make up for it.  And that we mostly see from a guy whose supernatural powers are mostly running on "E".

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <11-27-11/2142:43> »
It might be that CGL is looking to make Insect Spirits the SR Big Bad instead of the Horrors.  Lesser in scale maybe, but a lot more immediate.

Personally I like the idea of the Horrors looming beneath the astral horizon - but one or more of the current SR writers has said that they hate it.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <11-27-11/2209:20> »
There are multiple reasons, but one thing to note is that a lot of SR players, and especially GMs, love them.

My hatred of the Horrors and ED simply means that I am not going to propose anything with them, but you give me far too much credit if you think that I am influencing the direction of the line.
« Last Edit: <11-27-11/2213:06> by James Meiers »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #26 on: <11-27-11/2219:03> »
GM's (like myself) love bugs because they are an enemy that, albeit very tough, still can be beat. You toss a Horror at a team of runners and you start watching your players slit their own character's throats since Horrors require Dragon/IE level magic to even restrain, much less take down.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #27 on: <11-27-11/2309:26> »
Does not mean a thing. Some of the writers hate it, but some of the writers love it. The Horrors probably aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

That said: The bugs are already here, and bad shit is happening because of them. And certain folks at Ares aren't on the right side of that equation.

Things are going to get interesting, I think.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <11-27-11/2337:28> »
Well the magic level isn't that high yet for the horrors to break through.

Anyways during Earthdawn, Barsaive got really messed up by the Invae burnings before the horrors came.

I believe the Invae infestations got almost wiped out when the horrors came...the horrors make the insect spirits look like kindergarden.

I believe the horrors will wipe out the insect spirits since they are rivals and the horrors probably cannot gain any power from them.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <11-27-11/2350:13> »
Oh my God! Who cares!?!