NEWS

Ares Macrotechnology and Insect Spirits

• 131 Replies

The Analog Kid

• Newb
« on: <11-25-11/0632:19> »
So hold on a second...

...based on Roger Soaring Owl's story at the end of "Street Legends," the reason Ares is so interested in fighting bugs is...

...because they want to take the "best" parts of insect spirits and use them to turn their corp soldiers into living bioweapons?!?  Ares Firewatch with insect pincers as sword and implanted insect chitins as body armor?!?

If so?  Mind.  Blown.  It takes everything I ever thought about Ares from "Queen Euphoria" until today and dumps it right on its' head...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <11-25-11/0657:45> »
Knight is apparently under the delusion that they can control the bugs, and wipe out the ones that don't behave. Needless to say, this is going to all come crashing down. And Chicago will probably be ground zero for it. Again.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-25-11/0737:36> »
It could also be that Knight's been flipped.

Which would be a terrible way to go out, but, man, who'd have seen it coming?

The Analog Kid

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-25-11/0750:05> »
Knight is apparently under the delusion that they can control the bugs, and wipe out the ones that don't behave. Needless to say, this is going to all come crashing down. And Chicago will probably be ground zero for it. Again.

Ah.  I remember reading stuff about "chitins as body armor" in the story (don't have the book handy) and just shuddered.  That's Aztechnology levels of screwed up right there...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-25-11/0821:08> »
Yes, yes it is. And it WILL end badly, mark my words. The best we can hope for is that someone kills Knight, and when the other two partners find out what's going on, they will sanitize everyone connected with the project with extreme prejudice.

My Characters

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-25-11/0904:32> »
Yes, yes it is. And it WILL end badly, mark my words. The best we can hope for is that someone kills Knight, and when the other two partners find out what's going on, they will sanitize everyone connected with the project with extreme prejudice.
well, they'll try to sanitize. But there'll always be that chip or those plans or even the people who saw that really effective combat tool...

Once the larva's out of the egg, you can't stuff it back in.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-25-11/1046:16> »
Be vewy vewy quiet . . . I'm hunting Ares  . . .

It would be both poetic and tragic if Nightfire had been invested.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <11-25-11/1247:13> »
Or outright hilarious if Nightfire has to beg JackPoint to extract him from a Bug Den.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-25-11/1304:39> »
I, for one, welcome our new Ares-Insect overlords...but then again, I'm currently the GM for my group so I'm in the minority but I'm sure I can find ways to merge my players' opinions in line with that of good old Ares.

Ares: the first AAA-hive good merge.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <11-25-11/1318:53> »
Actually, I think they've been hinting at Ares and the Insects for quite some time now, I seem to recall something in Dunkie's Will about Knight's AmerInd Chummer having to keep his eyes open...  And he left in quite a huff around 2070-2071, right?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <11-25-11/1406:05> »
Threats 2, published in 2001 and set in 2062,  had a chapter on an Ares Macrotechnology subsidiary making experiments on bug spirit and guard dogs in Algonkian-Manitou. Game Information already suggested they would loose control at some point.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #11 on: <11-25-11/1413:28> »
Yeah, this one's been around for a while. Someone's just finally decided to start playing with it. I, for one, can't wait to see what happens next.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <11-25-11/1631:32> »
Great thing about Shadowrun, so many threads...  A few, unfortunately, we'll never know, mayhaps.   :'(

*Pours a 40 on the curb for fallen writers*

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <11-27-11/0711:12> »
Actually according to Conspiracy theories...the Ares project is already kaput...Crash 2.0 fucked the Ares insect spirit crashes by messingup their security and computers. By the time ares teams went to resuce the projects a few days later..hundreds of Ares black ops operatives were missing along with a few Queens and many bug spirits. Since then the Bugs have been getting smarter and more subtle in their operations.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-27-11/0800:54> »
No, that's not what it said. It said that the program to make flesh form guard dogs was sanitized, except for the locations where it wasn't. Unlimitech is a subsidiary of Ares, and they have a lovely program of trying to say that flesh forms are bioware.

My Characters