NEWS

Real world TV series in No Future

• 7 Replies

Ixal

• Chummer
« on: <02-10-19/1037:36> »
No Future lists several Trideo/Simsense series and films that are references or straight up copies of existing movies and series.
The ones I recognized so far:

- Battlerun pg.64
Not a movie copy, but a mix of Shadowrun and Battletech featuring Lofwyr, the Inner Sphere, House Steiner and Davos etc.

- Dash: Star Loner pg. 67 and Chase: Errant Knight pg.80
Reminds me a lot of Dog the bounty hunter with more violence

- Ork and Minfy pg.74
According to Ghost Rigger in another thread a copy of Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

- Space Fleet pg.77
Star Trek (from the comments probably ST: Destiny) with the U.E.S Endeavour

- Temple Terror pg.79
From the sound of it Takeshi's Castle Aztec style.

- Transmorphers pg. 80
Transformers. It even says its a reboot of an old series and Red remarks that "it is the 80s again"

- The Simpsons pg.103
The Simpsons. Duh

Anything I missed of where I am wrong?

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-14-19/1246:04> »
I had assumed that ‘Chase: Knight Errant’ was a reference to Knight Rider, the opening narration of which actually used to refer to Michael Knight as a “loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.”

Likewise, ‘Ork and Minfy’ sounds a lot like Mork and Mindy...
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-01-19/1810:47> »
Ha! I'd missed that The Simpsons was still running. That's great. Gives me hope that Spongebob is still going, too.

While not an exact parallel, the history of Karl Kombat Mage read a lot like the history of Dr. Who, to me.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-01-19/1859:02> »
Ha! I'd missed that The Simpsons was still running. That's great. Gives me hope that Spongebob is still going, too.

You just know that Law and Order probably has two or three spin-offs still chugging away.

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate but equally important groups: The Lone Star™ public security company*, who investigate crime, and the UCAS Attorney's Office, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories. Dunn. Dunn.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-01-19/2341:57> »
There's also probably a city-specific universe/franchise like the Chicago Fire/PD/whatever else. Probably not in Chicago, although there would probably be more potential for throwing in real-life shit (well, "real life" in Shadowrun's world) from other placers into the fictional Reconstruction-era Chicago and be believable. Like how the storylines on 9-1-1 and procedurals like L&O are often based in varying degrees on real incidents and cases.

It was difficult to thread the needle between what had been established before with where things are going and also trying to fill in some holes that have always existed while also not wanting or being able to fill all the holes (the totality of my drafts for "Look Forward" is ten times the final word count). Like, one of my big things is that the largest media owners have included the Japanacorps, obviously since they're huge in general, and but also if the media corporations consolidated further since Shadowbeat and Corporate Download, the North American ones are going to have the long-term edge – and why is kind of a philosophical question. The way I see it is that we're just really good at bullshit and bullshitting through media, and so that's who ends up taking on the task when the consensus among those at the top is that keeping the status quo alive is the goal and everything's nice and ... settled. But we need some top-tier liars and con artists to keep the rubes dazzled and dumb, so the North Americans are up.

I never even got around to noting that the new head of Aegis Cognito is a former UCAS counterintelligence officer with extensive media experience in front of the trid cam and behind the scenes, which has nothing to do with anything involving SpinGlobal's extensive media empire and certainly isn't influenced at all by how the IRL al-Thani clan in Qatar manipulates U.S. and other media indirectly as well as directly through Al Jazeera. Seriously, the way they exploited the Khashoggi murder is a fucking master class in media manipulation and I didn't really get to do anything with how that could be and has been used in Shadowrun, which is a shame. Maybe sometime in the future. I'd be happy to just do a whole e-book or something on counterinsurgency that would include disinformation and manipulation of the media.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-01-19/2353:47> »
Oh, FFS. I got completely off-topic.

There are always going to be a mix of legacy series that just never end like The Simpsons and L&O (in some form). However, there's also  going to be the BBC/European model of limited series where you just have a bunch of these 10-episode series, maybe a couple follow-ups but just as likely to be one-shot series. I'm not sure where to put something like what the Canadians have done with DeGrassi and legacy series.

Personally, the one thing that I wish I included about Aztechnology and Death to better convey the point I was making is that they'd be more likely to follow that model. The idea is that sequels and succession is the natural evolution that follows the conclusion. Death begets life, like Zorg explains in The Fifth Element. More accurately, it's the final dialogue between Andre Braugher and Giancarlo Esposito in the Homicide: LotS TV movie: GC: "Death just goes on and on ..." AB: "That's because life ... goes on ... and on."

And, again, Herzog's "The Conquest of Aztlan."

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <03-02-19/0002:33> »
Oh man, Law & Order: Arcology Investigations is a different show. When the law has you found guilty until proven innocent, a series focused on investigators on the prosecution must be more reactive. "Oh dang, the defence actually has a case. Better find some more evidence." I imagine time is a much bigger concern. "The lieutenant is telling us we've got one more day before this case is too expensive to keep pursuing. We've got to find something today!"

I mean, I guess you could make a show about defence lawyers proving their client is innocent against all odds but, pfft, make a show where the corps lose and are wrong? That's just bad propaganda TV.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-05-19/2309:46> »
With Coppola’s “Megalopolis” in the news as something he may finally make, I wish I had put in my alt-universe movies into No Future. A 2003 Megalopolis would’ve been in there, the Miller “Justice League,” the Kubrick “Napoleon,” the Bigelow “Neuromancer” (suck it, William Gibson), Noto’s “The Tourist,” the Schwarzenegger Crusades movie, and Leone’s “Leningrad.”

As it is, the one that was supposed to be in it that I omitted by mistake was Herzog’s “The Conquest of Aztlan” that was being remade and re-released for the 75th anniversary.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯