SRM Combined FAQ 1.2 Discussion

• 41 Replies

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« on: <10-15-18/1802:13> »
Carrying on with community feedback for the newest version of the SRM FAQ:

Please post your comments, ideas, kudos, gripes, offers of fealty, etc below!
That's just like... your opinion, man.

&#24525;

« Reply #1 on: <10-15-18/2119:04> »
Quote from: Overdrive
The default Device Rating is the actual device rating of the specific device being overdriven.

Is this to say that a rating 1 Wired Reflexes is Device Rating 1 or to follow the table on Core page 421 for Device Ratings?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-15-18/2253:41> »
Quote from: Overdrive
The default Device Rating is the actual device rating of the specific device being overdriven.

Is this to say that a rating 1 Wired Reflexes is Device Rating 1 or to follow the table on Core page 421 for Device Ratings?

I would imagine specific trumps general.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-27-18/2138:46> »
Now that Better than Bad's been published, I have a runner that specializes in a dart pistol who's positively bouncing with anticipation of BtB becoming SRM legal :D
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <11-27-18/2214:10> »
Will we see Guanyin, QUADRIPLEGIC, instinctive hack, Special Modification/Prototype Materials make into missions play?
While there is plenty of cool stuff in BtB, these are the things I'm concerned about, actions before initiative while not a new idea always proves to be very disruptive in my experience.  SM/PM are likely to become standard mods in the hyper specialized world SR as it stand, and is likely result in some pretty Strong weapons. Quadriplegic and Guanyin are likely to be table disruptive.

While i'm much less concerned about Dead Sin, I do want to ask about it, as while I don't see it be very table disruptive I do think it will become very popular very quickly. We all want disads to be meaningful, but this I'm really unsure about.

Lastly New uses for Karma and street cred. Largely i don't have an issue with this, more uses for street cred in fact seem like a good idea, but karma sacrifice for bonus to influence die rolls seems like kinda ugly president to set. I don't want to see newbies ether mistakenly or otherwise talked into this at some table. 
« Last Edit: <11-27-18/2217:12> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-27-18/2311:00> »
I hear ya.. with specific regards to:

Dead SIN: Since Corp SIN is SRM legal and gives more Karma for it to boot, I don't see why Dead SIN would/should be banned.  (tho I'd certainly support seeing both of them SRM banned on account of being nothing but free karma)

Instinctive Hack: The pre-initiative action cat is already out of the bag.  My only issue with this quality is the pricing... at 2 Karma (or 4 for existing, post-chargen hackers) it's too good to not take.  Jumping up the price tho would be an errata thing, not a SRM thing.

Quadriplegic: Since you can't benefit from cyber/magic to get around the drawback, it seems hard to abuse.  Other than engaging in priority games where you dip attributes lower because you don't have to bother putting any points into physical attribs... haven't thought about how the math works out on 25 karma vs saving attribute points

I'd imagine (daresay even hope) that SM/PM do get kept out of SRM, on the grounds that crafting is generally not done in SRM.

As I mentioned upthread the tech I'm excited for is the Blight toxin.  And as a some-time SRM GM, I'd be happy to have Grey Mana mod available as a potential option for NPC opposition given the unenviable task of trying to deal with a half dozen magical shadowrunners...

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-27-18/2335:00> »
Quadriplegic isn't a question of hard to abuse it's a question of hard to play with. It basically means not physically going on the run, as your character Dead man walking (or in the motorized vehicle) in this case.  It can work fine in home game setting, but Missions aren't written for this situation.
Thinking
com
speaking

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-27-18/2350:09> »
Well you're pretty much sentenced to play a Decker or Technomancer. (or maybe Rigger, depending on whether the GM lets you use Mental stats in place of Reaction and/or Agility for certain tests whilst in VR)

And you don't HAVE to remain behind as a Quadriplegic... even if you don't Jump Into a drone as your in-battle avatar. (there are silly "Put Armor on the Anthropomorphic Drone" tank builds out there..)  The Transys Steed drone is purpose built for getting such characters around.. plus many other vehicles/drones could be similarly modified.  And at any rate, since you're probably a Decker or Technomancer if you're taking the quadriplegic quality... players of all stripes may be used to/expect you to stay out of physical harm's way during the action scenes anyway.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-28-18/0006:54> »
Taking damage when you have a body of zero is next level contra-indicated.

Thinking
com
speaking

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-28-18/0008:11> »
You're not likely to ever take physical/stun damage except via Biofeedback.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-28-18/1143:03> »
I don't agree with that insertion at all. A runner in the field always runs the risk of getting of shot, lightning bolted, blown up, attacked ghouls etc.
Thinking
com
speaking

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-28-18/1155:37> »
I don't agree with that insertion at all. A runner in the field always runs the risk of getting of shot, lightning bolted, blown up, attacked ghouls etc.

Sure, but if you're playing a Decker or Technomancer and using stereotypical (the hacker never "goes in") tactics, there's a difference between the plausible risk and the technical risk of suffering a non-matrix based assault.
« Last Edit: <11-28-18/1157:57> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-28-18/2028:16> »
But that's the problem SSDR, Missions doesn't usually play nice with the I'll stay in the Van method of SR.
Thus my concern about it in missions play, you  really don't want some newb sitting down at con building the wheel chair wonder and getting popped 45 mins into a run b/c some stupid ganger who just scored a couple successes.
Thinking
com
speaking

prophet42

• Newb
  • Financial Prognosticator
« Reply #13 on: <11-29-18/1501:49> »
Also, so far as Missions go, how does this work for the Meet-n-Greet with Tanaka-san?

Will the chair-bound runner get factored in on the pay-off if they're not actually present?
If its not fun, then why are you doing it?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-29-18/1504:39> »
Also, so far as Missions go, how does this work for the Meet-n-Greet with Tanaka-san?

Will the chair-bound runner get factored in on the pay-off if they're not actually present?

For Neo-Tokyo, you go to the meet with Tanaka-San. The only allowable exception is if the player is late to the table.

It's not that hard to fit a wheelchair-bound PC into a meet. Even less hard for a Matrix Persona being present in AR.
« Last Edit: <11-29-18/1510:15> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »