iPEG Thor A1 (new SMG)

• 30 Replies

Anarkitty

• Omae
« on: <12-03-12/1435:08> »
On the pictures thread I found this gun:

Which linked to this article:
http://www.pascaleggert.de/ThorA1.html

It just screams Shadowrun to me, and I decided I want it to exist in-game, as an expensive, rare and awesome SMG.
There are no standard firearm design rules in SR4, so I just decided to wing it.  I created two versions, one that actually matches (reasonably closely) the specs given by the author, and one that is more in line with other guns in Arsenal and the core book.

I'd like to get opinions and feedback before I hand these rules to my GM (and I'm an attention whore, so I just want to put this out there anyway).

Unbalanced version:

Submachine GunDamageAPModeRCAmmoAvailCost
iPEG Thor A15P-1SA/FA2(3)50(c)*14F2,200¥
*Spare cMAG clip50820¥
Thor Sound Suppressor12F400¥

The Thor A1 is an experimental prototype submachine gun developed by the iPEG Corporation. Primarily an industrial design house with a reputation for sculpted lines, exceptional funtionality and high price tags, their newly formed arms division seeks to expand their market to wealthy and style-concious mercenaries, special forces and shadowrunners.  To that end, the stylish and powerful Thor was designed to meet the needs of those willing to pay for the best. The body is high-density plastic, and the frame and internal workings are titanium, giving it unprecedented reliability, and allowing it to handle assault rifle ammunition for increased penetration, though it still uses SMG ranges and skills.

The Thor features a special firing mechanism that grants two points of recoil compensation, and a folding stock and foregrip that can be deployed together as a simple action.  It has a top-mount that can handle any standard accessories, but no under-barrel mount.  The barrel mount can handle most standard accessories, but it cannot accommodate a sound suppressor other than the one specifically designed for it without retooling -- taking an Armorer+Logic(2) test and voiding the warranty. If the custom sound-suppressor is equipped, it provides an underbarrel mount for an additional accessory, but increases the concealability modifier by +2.  It is also available with an internal smartgun system (+500¥). This is a distinctive and uncommon weapon, and gives a +1 dice pool modifier to any tests to remember the weapon or its wielder.

Balanced version (based on the TN-P93):

iPEG Thor A15P--SA/BF/FA2(3)50(c)11F900¥

The Thor A1 is an experimental prototype submachine gun developed by the iPEG Corporation. Primarily an industrial design house with a reputation for sculpted lines, exceptional funtionality and high price tags, their newly formed arms division seeks to expand their market to wealthy and style-concious mercenaries, special forces and shadowrunners.  To that end, the stylish and powerful Thor was designed to meet the needs of those willing to pay for the best. The body is high-density plastic, and the frame and internal workings are titanium, giving it unprecedented reliability

The Thor features a special firing system that provides 2 points of recoil compensation, and a folding stock and foregrip that deploy together as a simple action. It is available with an internal smartgun system for an additional 500¥.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-03-12/1549:50> »
As i find the way some thinks are same and some different between your version and mine ill post the version i wrote up last year and updated when gun haven came out.
THOR PDW
THOR PDW is the latest offering from Ares arms to personal defence weapon market, its mostly marketed toward mercenary and security vehicle drivers
as well as to those bodyguards who need SMG firepower in a small and discreed package.
The THOR features a special chamber system that provides 1 points of recoil compensation, it's also smaller then other SMG:s, add +1 to conceleability.
Can be purchased with an internal smartlink for 4500¥
Std. Upgrades/Accessories:Powered folding stock and foregrip
5P -1 SA/BF/FA 1(3) 50(c) 15R 3400¥
*cannot mount underbarrel accessories.

Should that RC on your versions be 2(4) as both the stock and foregrip provide 1 point?
« Last Edit: <12-03-12/1553:23> by Mäx »
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-03-12/1936:45> »
I think the -1 AP is characterful without being overpowering, especially if it uses assault rifle ammo (which the original does).
It would slightly increase the cost of ammunition, and I would increase the cost of the weapon closer to where you put it.

I didn't note the RC as 2(4) because the foregrip only provides a benefit when firing full-auto, and other weapons with foregrip in the official books didn't include it in their RC entries. I'm just following the existing formatting.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-04-12/1315:31> »
I think the -1 AP is characterful without being overpowering, especially if it uses assault rifle ammo (which the original does).
It would slightly increase the cost of ammunition, and I would increase the cost of the weapon closer to where you put it.

I didn't note the RC as 2(4) because the foregrip only provides a benefit when firing full-auto, and other weapons with foregrip in the official books didn't include it in their RC entries. I'm just following the existing formatting.
Ammo costs the same regardless of what type of firearm it's for. 

As for foregrip since it's built in modification (Ars 148), it's actually just 1 RC (Ars 152).  None of the guns in Arsenal or SR4A have built in foregrips*.  As for the guns in the Gun Heaven series, the recoil from the foregrip is included in the () like a stock.  Examples of this include the MP9, MP7, and T-983.

The gun itself is cool looking.  The stats you give it make it really good.  It isn't the -1 AP that does it.  It's the 2 RC from the special firing system.  But since the goal is to make an awesome best in slot firearm, that's fine.  I would have gone with a 6P "carbine" SMG like the M4A1 with foregrip, folding stock, and maybe 1 point innate RC.  That makes it the best in slot SMG in a non-SnS world, and in a SnS world an arguable choice.

*- I did only check by running find for "foregrip" in both books.  So maybe there's a foergrip or something I missed.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-04-12/1430:57> »
I think the -1 AP is characterful without being overpowering
I actually see this as a feature of personal defense weapons(based on the MP7 in Gun heaven) and think that P93 Praetor should get it too.

Also as Tsuzua said, only that accessory foregrip has restrictions on when it applies, the mod one works always.
« Last Edit: <12-04-12/1440:55> by Mäx »

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-04-12/1958:12> »

Ammo costs the same regardless of what type of firearm it's for. 

As for foregrip since it's built in modification (Ars 148), it's actually just 1 RC (Ars 152).  None of the guns in Arsenal or SR4A have built in foregrips*.  As for the guns in the Gun Heaven series, the recoil from the foregrip is included in the () like a stock.  Examples of this include the MP9, MP7, and T-983.

The gun itself is cool looking.  The stats you give it make it really good.  It isn't the -1 AP that does it.  It's the 2 RC from the special firing system.  But since the goal is to make an awesome best in slot firearm, that's fine.  I would have gone with a 6P "carbine" SMG like the M4A1 with foregrip, folding stock, and maybe 1 point innate RC.  That makes it the best in slot SMG in a non-SnS world, and in a SnS world an arguable choice.

*- I did only check by running find for "foregrip" in both books.  So maybe there's a foergrip or something I missed.

It's entirely possible I misread something. If the foregrip provides RC standard, then I agree, it only needs 1 internal RC. I think 3 total when unfolded seems appropriate.
Since it does fire assult rifle ammunition, I thought about making it 6P, but I thought that was a little too good, so I went with the -1 AP instead.

So the new stats come across as:
iPEG Thor A15P-1SA/FA1(3)50(c)*14F2,200¥

Foregrip and stock deploy together as a single simple action.
-1 concealability bonus when collapsed, +2 concealability penalty when sound suppressor is attached (modifiers stack).

Incidentally, what book is SnS?  I'm not familiar with any supplements that could have that acronym.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #6 on: <12-04-12/2141:31> »
Incidentally, what book is SnS?  I'm not familiar with any supplements that could have that acronym.

That's "Stick and Shock" ammo, from the core book, with "n" being a phonetic abbreviation for a common dialect-based pronunciation of "and".
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <12-05-12/1132:56> »

That's "Stick and Shock" ammo, from the core book, with "n" being a phonetic abbreviation for a common dialect-based pronunciation of "and".

That makes way too much sense.  I probably would have realized, but I was thinking rule books, rather than rules.  :P
Thank you.

Ted Fast

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <12-13-12/2205:03> »
I have to say that the person that designed the THOR has made a great looking gun. (It's just to bad that the web site is looking really wonky on my end.)

I think that Anarkittys latest version would probably be allowed at my table. That said I think that there should be a option to buy the THOR with a motorized stock and foregrip out of the box that would deploy as a free action. High class bodyguards and the like would surly enjoy that feature. I don't have a clue how much more that should cost.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-14-12/1348:17> »
I have to say that the person that designed the THOR has made a great looking gun. (It's just to bad that the web site is looking really wonky on my end.)

I think that Anarkittys latest version would probably be allowed at my table. That said I think that there should be a option to buy the THOR with a motorized stock and foregrip out of the box that would deploy as a free action. High class bodyguards and the like would surly enjoy that feature. I don't have a clue how much more that should cost.
My version actually has that, a powered folding stock deploys as a free action and most reasonable GM:s would likely allow the powered foregrip to deploy on the same free action

Ted Fast

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <12-14-12/1618:54> »
My version actually has that, a powered folding stock deploys as a free action and most reasonable GM:s would likely allow the powered foregrip to deploy on the same free action
Your version is good looking too Mäx. I say that you can just add an explicit rule that say that that is the way the gun works.

But I have been thinking, maybe the gun should have another name, it might be confused with the Thor missile, maybe the Loki?  ;)

Lotofsnow

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <12-14-12/1621:06> »
Your version is good looking too Mäx. I say that you can just add an explicit rule that say that that is the way the gun works.

But I have been thinking, maybe the gun should have another name, it might be confused with the Thor missile, maybe the Loki?  ;)

Donar is another name for Thor. That might work.

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <12-14-12/2045:03> »
It's cool, just it looks non-ergonomical and prone to jamming.

Ted Fast

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <12-14-12/2110:45> »
Isn't true for a lot of SR guns?  ;)

Donar is another name for Thor. That might work.
Oh that is why mr. Thunder-Gun from Scion's last name is Donner.

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <12-14-12/2138:54> »
Isn't true for a lot of SR guns?  ;)
Well let's induct it already. :P