NEWS

[6e] Default Device Rating for gear that does not have one listed

• 4 Replies

Plan_B

• Newb
« on: <09-16-19/1232:51> »
Hoi, chummers. I'm hoping that someone can help me out with this. I know that in 5e there was a chart that gave the default device rating for anything that didn't have one, such as a gun. This chart does not exist in 6e but guns and other devices without a listed device rating can still be the target of data spike attacks and be bricked. Does this mean that they do not have a device rating and have no inherent defenses unless they are connected to a PAN that provides a Firewall rating? Does this also mean that they have only 8 boxes on their Matrix Condition Monitor (8 + 1/2DR)?
When the "milk run" goes sour, it's time for Plan B!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-17-19/1112:14> »
I'd just use the 5e guidelines for now.  1 or 2 for simple stuff.  3 or 4 for security things.  5 or 6 for high end military or corporate security things. 

I'd also run with the RAI on PANs and such where everything is protected by the owner's commlink stats or a Host.  That eliminates most of the need for "What is the device rating of my Grapple Gun" type of questions. 

Plan_B

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-17-19/1145:13> »
I'd just use the 5e guidelines for now.  1 or 2 for simple stuff.  3 or 4 for security things.  5 or 6 for high end military or corporate security things. 

I'd also run with the RAI on PANs and such where everything is protected by the owner's commlink stats or a Host.  That eliminates most of the need for "What is the device rating of my Grapple Gun" type of questions.

I was planning to run it against the PAN it's connected to. My main question was more about if it wasn't on one for some reason but more importantly about calculating the Matrix Condition Monitor for the device. For example, does a gun have 8 or 9 boxes before it's bricked?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-17-19/1156:43> »

I was planning to run it against the PAN it's connected to. My main question was more about if it wasn't on one for some reason but more importantly about calculating the Matrix Condition Monitor for the device. For example, does a gun have 8 or 9 boxes before it's bricked?

For now, it has however many the GM says it has.  My rule of thumb is akin to Hobbes' and drawn from 5e's yardstick: DR 1-2 for commercial-grade items. DR 3 for gear built for Police use.  DR 4 for CorpSec and Military hardware.  So "How big is a gun's CM" depends on whether it's a gun manufactured for civilians, police, or corpsec/military.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Plan_B

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-17-19/1517:39> »
It's what I was going to do. I just wanted to see if anyone might have known if there was a spot I missed, if this was dropped on purpose, or if it was just not carried over from the previous edition. Thanks!