NEWS

Chummer5 Support

• 632 Replies

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #330 on: <11-24-15/1855:35> »
The commlink thing's fixed in 5.178; as a workaround, if you make sure your RCCs, Cyberdecks and Commlinks are at the TOP of the list, it won't crash. Currently it tries to loop through all of your gear to find a specific commlink, but then it tries to convert the gear into a commlink to check what it is. Anyway, fixed in 5.178, which I'm hoping to get out tonight.

As for the life modules, I've been meaning to go through the life modules and vet them all properly. Currently it's still in pseudo-beta, so it's not my highest priority. There's currently no reliable way to select from multiple choices for life modules; I suspect I'm going to have to build up a new form like the mentor spirit selector to actually handle it properly.

Neijia and Strike the Darkness are in sidebars on page 140 and 141 of Run and Gun. Neijia's for beating up spirits, strike the darkness is for being Zatoichi.

Descriptors for gear is a bit of a thorny issue. Unlike Herolab and their ability to bribeconvince CGL to look the other way, Chummer is restricted by an inability to reproduce text in a copyrighted document. Something something not transformative enough, something something I can't be bothered dealing with legal headaches for a programming challenge. I'd want something from CGL clarifying the limits of what can be done before I put any serious work into implementing that.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #331 on: <11-24-15/2318:01> »
also, not a bug or anything, but is there any inkling of a chance that you will go back through all the cyber/bio/adept powers etc and add the descriptor text from the book? i hate having to go back through 6+ books now every time im building a character going "what did this do again?"  (i might be willing to help with some of this, in the form of typing the text/adding it to the code if need be)

It has always been the way of Chummer as a non licensed fan work to not add descriptions to avoid legal problems.  I imagine Herolab pays to license the material from CGL or Topps or someone.  As Chummer is a competing product that is free, we should be grateful enough that cease and desist letters haven't ever gone out.  There is the capability to link your own pdf's to the entries rather than having copyrighted text reproduced, and this is a pretty fast and effective way to see the text.  This is likely the only reason Chummer is left in peace. 
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #332 on: <11-25-15/0633:58> »
Righto, 5.178 quicky hotfix release for the Edge and Cyberdeck stuff.

https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/tag/5.178

Strange

• Chummer
« Reply #333 on: <11-25-15/1253:25> »
also, not a bug or anything, but is there any inkling of a chance that you will go back through all the cyber/bio/adept powers etc and add the descriptor text from the book? i hate having to go back through 6+ books now every time im building a character going "what did this do again?"  (i might be willing to help with some of this, in the form of typing the text/adding it to the code if need be)

It has always been the way of Chummer as a non licensed fan work to not add descriptions to avoid legal problems.  I imagine Herolab pays to license the material from CGL or Topps or someone.  As Chummer is a competing product that is free, we should be grateful enough that cease and desist letters haven't ever gone out.  There is the capability to link your own pdf's to the entries rather than having copyrighted text reproduced, and this is a pretty fast and effective way to see the text.  This is likely the only reason Chummer is left in peace.
How do you link the books?  If you go into options you find the interface for linking the PDF reader and the books, except the books part doesn't work.
Thanks for this.  I should have copied my lifemodules data file before I updated.  Will probably roll back to get it back.  When I open the lifemodules file it is all over the place now, hard to work on.
Righto, 5.178 quicky hotfix release for the Edge and Cyberdeck stuff.

https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/tag/5.178

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #334 on: <11-25-15/1458:26> »
How do you link the books?  If you go into options you find the interface for linking the PDF reader and the books, except the books part doesn't work.
Keh? How doesn't it work?

irthinker

• Newb
  • All your karma are belong to me
« Reply #335 on: <11-25-15/1824:58> »
Hello!

Thank you to everyone and anyone involved in supporting Chummer!

Where would you like bug reports submitted?

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #336 on: <11-25-15/1839:09> »
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/issues is easiest for me to keep track of and quietly weep about never getting below 50 open tickets.

irthinker

• Newb
  • All your karma are belong to me
« Reply #337 on: <11-25-15/2012:00> »
I just downloaded 5.178, unzipped it, and tried to run it.  I just get a spinny dial over my File Explorer window.  I have tried restarting my computer.

Chummer 5.177 runs without issue.

I have tried downloading 5.178 a second time.  Same results.

I am using Windows 8.1.

Any advice?

Strange

• Chummer
« Reply #338 on: <11-26-15/1111:13> »
As for the life modules, I've been meaning to go through the life modules and vet them all properly. Currently it's still in pseudo-beta, so it's not my highest priority. There's currently no reliable way to select from multiple choices for life modules; I suspect I'm going to have to build up a new form like the mentor spirit selector to actually handle it properly.
I have been debugging life modules, almost all the way through the nationalities. Would you like me to send you the file (along with the worksheet detailing what I did) to you when I am done?

Edit: done with nationalities and formative years. Specializations aren't done, however, nor is exotic weapon for Eskimo.
« Last Edit: <11-26-15/1351:14> by Strange »

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #339 on: <11-26-15/1613:16> »
Any advice?
No clue. Um. Try running as administrator, maybe?

@Strange: That would be excellent, yes. Thanks for putting in the effort!

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #340 on: <11-29-15/0842:03> »
How do you recommend upgrading a Weapon Focus in Cummer?

this is my current process:

Selling the weapon for 100% of cost (it will not include the weapon focus cost IIRC)
closing Chummer
Editing the Chummer File in notepad
Refunding the binding Karma/Nuyen difference
Opening File again in Chummer
Re-buying weapon at full cost with all relevant mods
Re-buying weapon focus at new cost
Re-binding weapon focus at new cost

There has to be a simpler way than this.  any suggestions?
i have not looked into creating a stacked focus yet, mainly because i dont understand what it does..... one item with 2 Foci enchants? do they have to be the same force? or is it considered "upgrading"

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #341 on: <11-29-15/1452:22> »
Stacked foci are a thing from 4th. I should probably pull that out. As far as upgrading goes, the easiest is probably just to edit the file manually and add karma/nuyen expenses, since there's no rules for upgrading foci I don't exactly have anything to work off.

Halinn

• Chummer
« Reply #342 on: <11-29-15/1548:42> »
there's no rules for upgrading foci I don't exactly have anything to work off.

Street Grimoire p. 230

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #343 on: <11-29-15/2144:32> »
Well, nuts. I guess I'll have to put some work into making upgrades available at some point then.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #344 on: <11-30-15/0145:27> »
How do you recommend upgrading a Weapon Focus in Cummer?

this is my current process:

Selling the weapon for 100% of cost (it will not include the weapon focus cost IIRC)
closing Chummer
Editing the Chummer File in notepad
Refunding the binding Karma/Nuyen difference
Opening File again in Chummer
Re-buying weapon at full cost with all relevant mods
Re-buying weapon focus at new cost
Re-binding weapon focus at new cost

There has to be a simpler way than this.  any suggestions?
i have not looked into creating a stacked focus yet, mainly because i dont understand what it does..... one item with 2 Foci enchants? do they have to be the same force? or is it considered "upgrading"
Before you sell the focus, you can go into the "Karma and Nuyen" tab and right-click on the karma and nuyen consts individually and you will have an option of "Undo Expense" which will give you back the karma (unbonding the focus at the same time) and the nuyen (removing the item associated with the cost), doing all the math for you by itself.  You can then simply purchase the new one at the higher cost and bind it.

As for creating a stacked focus, it's a holdover from SR4's Street Magic.  Simply put you add the benefits of two or more foci into a single focus (yes, this is a single item).  The karma cost to bind is the sum of all parts, the monetary cost to buy is the sum of all parts, and the Force of the focus itself is the sum of all parts (enchantments do not have to be of the same type or of equal level).  It counts as a single focus to activate and against your limit of active foci.  For example, a stacked Force 3 Centering and Force 3 Power focus would cost 27 karma to bind, 81,000 nuyen to purchase, count as a single Force 6 focus when active, and gives you the benefits of both at the same time.  For some reason, though, Chummer5 has a hard limit of a sum of Force 6 on stacked foci.