NEWS

Critter Ware: What can you combine with it?

• 5 Replies

xGugulu

• Newb
« on: <03-20-19/1859:12> »
Hello there chummers!
I have some questions regarding the use of Critter Ware and the combination with other ware.

1. Does a Cast or Stirrup System work with a RCC?
2. If yes would the biodrones benefit from the programs run on the RCC profit in the same way as machine drones would? obviously Piloting programs and say Handling Programms wouldn't do much. Or would they?  ???

3.Is there an easy way to organise and maintain Critters other than having to create a new file for each Critter I buy? (Using Chummer V. 5.204.0)

Thanks in advance :)

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-21-19/0403:32> »
1 & 2) regarding the stirrup.  It mentions that you can let a pilot program control the animal (effectively turning it into a drone). I would say that when its controlled by said pilot program that it can benefit from an RCC and even autosofts (granted I would imagine that cybertooth autosofts could be tricky to get ahold of).
Regarding the CAST Im a bit more unsure. It seems like its still the animal doing stuff on its own- you can just try to influence it with "feelings". My gut reaction would be "no" it cant benefit from an RCC or programs.
Im pretty sure on the program part... but would likely allow RCCs if I were the GM.

3) no idea
« Last Edit: <03-21-19/0657:08> by DigitalZombie »

xGugulu

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-21-19/0907:47> »
1 & 2) regarding the stirrup.  It mentions that you can let a pilot program control the animal (effectively turning it into a drone). I would say that when its controlled by said pilot program that it can benefit from an RCC and even autosofts (granted I would imagine that cybertooth autosofts could be tricky to get ahold of).
Regarding the CAST Im a bit more unsure. It seems like its still the animal doing stuff on its own- you can just try to influence it with "feelings". My gut reaction would be "no" it cant benefit from an RCC or programs.
Im pretty sure on the program part... but would likely allow RCCs if I were the GM.

3) no idea

Since the STIRRUP Interface is based off the Move-By-Wire System....
would....
COULD it be possible to hack/rig into a MBW that is not installed in a Critter?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #3 on: <03-21-19/0955:45> »
You can hack into anything that’s online. Now, whether you can control a character like a puppet on strings is GMs fiat, but you can definitely turn them off
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-21-19/1729:58> »

COULD it be possible to hack/rig into a MBW that is not installed in a Critter?
[/quote]

Not the current MBW systems, as those are controlled by normal human brains. BUT there was some fluff mentions back in 4th editions Augmentation book, that mentioned a rumor about the Proteus corporation using metahumans as "biodrones" rigged by powerful people.  (Augmentation page 142).

Maybe there is a prototype or 2 somewhere near your gaming table :)

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-23-19/1849:10> »
Subject related to OP.

In the CAST description it mentions rigging.
Yet the rules doesnt really seem to support that. For instance it mentions: It allows the rigger to jump in to a biodrone and not only control them through AR commands but experience the animals senses through a Wireless connection.

First of all: a rigger cant really use AR commands when jumped into anything, as he would be in VR then.
Secondly the rest og the description og the implant mentions how the animal is influenced by simsense emotions from the "rigger". Like food, comfort, danger etc.

This leads med to believe that the CAST isnt a rigger tool at all. The metahuman in control of the animal doesnt need to have a controlrig, but would need. A simrig instead.

If you want to rig an animal you would need a stirrup interface.

I think the mixup is because of an error in transitioning the rules from 4th Augmentation book into 5th edition howling shadows. As in 4th edition only the stirrup mentions anything about jumping in.