NEWS

Technoshaman - Sprite Pet

• 11 Replies

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <03-01-19/2113:40> »
So, what do people find to be a good choice for a Technoshaman's Sprite Pet?  I was thinking Machine for unlimited use of Diagnostics, though a Courier Sprite with Cookie could be interesting as well.   The biggest disadvantage of Machine is the lower Sleaze (versus a Courier or Crack Sprite).  I'd want to shy away from combat powers - you don't want your combat sprite to cost you Karma if it dies.

Kill Code has the Generalist Sprite, which says (Any Optional Power x2).  Does that include the powers from the base book?  Also, there's a section in Kill Code on optional Sprite powers, which gives 1 optional power per 3 levels.  A level 6 Sprite Pet with Active Analytics and Resonance Spooling would be pretty nice.

adzling

« Reply #1 on: <03-01-19/2116:15> »
our table'd techno just took the technoshaman path so it's a bit new for us.

the machine sprite does sound cool, add in the shooter paragon and that could get interesting.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <03-02-19/0409:16> »
Diagnostics needs to die in a fire as the OP drek it is. -_- But yeah, it's one of the best choices when not properly nerfed.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-02-19/1401:45> »
Diagnostics runs forever with a single service.  Any Registered or Complied Sprite can do it.

I went with a Crack Sprite for the Electronic Warfare and Hacking Skills.   

And Diagnostics is an Assist test.  It's a Matrix version of the Leadership skill, which is so broken most Face players forget they have 15+ dice in it and only remember to use it once in a while.  If they take it at all.

Admittedly Diagnostics was the best part of being a Technomancer for a long time.  But really, the best they had was a different version of the same thing every other character could do. Eh.  Let 'em play, they ain't hurting anyone. 

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <03-02-19/1559:16> »
Diagnostics needs to die in a fire as the OP drek it is. -_- But yeah, it's one of the best choices when not properly nerfed.

Oh get over it. Yes it's dumb. But it's not like TM are overwhelmed with good options in 5th.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <03-02-19/1610:39> »
Oh grow up, Marcus. Surely you have something better to do than waste both our time by trying to start a flamewar with needlessly attacking me just because you feel like acting out like a petulant child.
And Diagnostics is an Assist test.  It's a Matrix version of the Leadership skill, which is so broken most Face players forget they have 15+ dice in it and only remember to use it once in a while.  If they take it at all.
Leadership takes action time from a PC though, while Diagnostics implies it's not meant to be universal, yet that's not what it ends up stating as mechanics. Like you said, it runs forever with a single Task. So just toss one Sprite at that, and bam, eternal bonus from an entity that will have restricted use otherwise. So I will gladly abuse it as a player when I can, because hey, permanent bonus on my gun? Sure. Loved it as a Rigger. But as a GM I won't allow it to be used on just about any device, since I don't consider shooting a gun as 'using a device'.

Anyway, that debate is pointless here. The question is: What is a good thing for a pet to do. And the answer is, not Diagnostics since you can just let a single Sprite do that with 1 Task. So not worth the hassle.
« Last Edit: <03-02-19/1612:25> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-02-19/1702:48> »
The one game I got to actually use Sparkles Assist Threading was probably the number one thing it did.  Although "I Am the Firewall" was important.

IMO it comes down to Fault Sprite for Cybercombat or Crack Sprite for Electronic Warfare.  You should be Registering a Level 9 or higher so the Matrix Action pools should start at 18 dice and go up from there.  Although Electron Storm is pretty damn good.

Anyway.... I'd consider something that fills in a skill the TM is either bad at or doesn't have.  Or if the TM is pretty well balanced there, go with whatever action you'll want the Sprite to be doing.  Haywire or Squelch?   Calibration or Denial of Service?  Data Spike or Control Device? 

Sprite Skills are more important than Sprite powers for your Sprite Pet IMO.  In general I think your other Sprites can handle the Powers side of things. 

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-02-19/1708:46> »
So I will gladly abuse it as a player when I can, because hey, permanent bonus on my gun? Sure.

But as a GM I won't allow it to be used on just about any device, since I don't consider shooting a gun as 'using a device'.

No offense intended, but isn't that incredibly hypocritical? I am also curious as to how anyone could logically conclude that a firearm isn't a device.

In a home game if you don't want to deal with, that's totally cool. I do agree with you that both it and analyze device need a change. In a home game, it's easy to just ban the option. Using that ruling in Missions though would be unfair to the Technomancer in question imho.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #8 on: <03-03-19/0013:42> »
Sprite Skills are more important than Sprite powers for your Sprite Pet IMO.  In general I think your other Sprites can handle the Powers side of things.
Going to have to disagree, because some of the optional powers can be used in combination with unlimited tasks for great effect:
* Active Analytics - Better than Baby Monitor, because you'll always know when you or any of your active sprites are in the red zone for Overwatch.  The big limit on this power for sprites is it uses a task each time, which isn't an issue with the pet.
* Borrowed IP - Like Wrapper for your sprite, keeping that Karma-infused creation from being targeted and fragged.
* Resonance Spooling - Give every sprite you compile +1 Sleaze (or +1 to a different Matrix attribute) for free.  Great when trying to give a Great Form crack sprite enough Sleaze to take over a host with Gatekeeper.

I think using a Sprite Pet for cybercombat is too risky, because you lose the Karma you invested if it is destroyed.  It's better to have it handle noncombat tasks and provide assistance.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-03-19/2124:33> »
You wouldn't use a Greater Sprite as a Sprite Pet.  Using a Greater Sprites power ends it, you're going to use your other Sprites for that I would think.

Any Sprite can take the Optional Powers, Empower is my own personal favorite for the Pet.   

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #10 on: <03-03-19/2306:01> »
You wouldn't use a Greater Sprite as a Sprite Pet.  Using a Greater Sprites power ends it, you're going to use your other Sprites for that I would think.
No, but you can use Resonance Spooling from your Sprite Pet when you're conjuring your Great Form sprite...

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-04-19/1414:54> »
Away from books, Resonance Spooling is the Optional Power that any Sprite can have and use once?  Wasn't my own cup of tea, Navi, Empower and Active Analytics were my preference, YMMV.

'course I picked up the Increase Sleaze CF and Groveler so (up to) +4 to Sleaze on any Sprite was just a Complex Action away.  With Rating 7 Sprites and the Increase Matrix Attribute CF Gatekeeper would work on any Host, just chuck some Data Chips and soak 2 Fade.