NEWS

Perception range penalties?

• 5 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« on: <12-10-18/1226:03> »
I'm sure that these exist, but when I was trying to find them yesterday I either glitched my perception check or the threshold is a lot higher than I'd expect ...

Can someone help a chummer out with a pointer to which section of the rules cover them?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-10-18/1234:12> »
PG 135.

-2 dice if not in immediate vicinity, -3 if far away.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-13-18/1018:01> »
Unofficially, I like to adapt modifiers from the weapon range table on p.185 ... Short (-0), Medium (-1), Long (-3), Extreme (-6). I use sniper rifle ranges for vision, assault rifle ranges for hearing, holdout pistol ranges for odors.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <12-13-18/1058:57> »
Thanks SSD!

Unofficially, I like to adapt modifiers from the weapon range table on p.185 ... Short (-0), Medium (-1), Long (-3), Extreme (-6). I use sniper rifle ranges for vision, assault rifle ranges for hearing, holdout pistol ranges for odors.

Oooh, I like that.  I think I'll adopt that.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <12-14-18/0057:36> »
Same! Nice!

So what does Hawkeye do there? :P And do batears and dognose exist as qualities?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

DringDring

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-14-18/0303:47> »
Hawkeyes allow you to see, without check, at 50 meters of your position (or it a zoom x50). Welp, anyway, it allow you to see far away like you were next to it.

And in normal qualities there is no batear or dognose but changeling (ya knon, mutant) do have qualities like this. Like a "screesh" like action that work like echolocation. Or a better nose.