NEWS

How close was I?

• 3 Replies

PingGuy

• Newb
« on: <09-17-18/1328:30> »
I had a situation in our last session where the team wanted to use explosives to blow up a house.  Not wanting to spend a bunch of time making them wait while I clarified the rules, I decided to wing it.  So I'm curious how close I was to what should have actually happened based on the game rules.

The house was a simple family home with two floors and a garage that was inset in such a way that the interior corner of the garage was very close to the center of the house.  Their plan was to fill a van with explosives and have the pilot program drive (crash) it into the garage.  Then one of the players would detonate it.

They had 10kg of Commercial Explosives, and the van was an old junker they pulled out of Rat City.  Assuming that wasn't enough explosives, I had them acquire some combustible fluids and put it in cans inside the van, basically filling the remaining capacity with it.  I had the player who was setting up the demo do a roll to setup a shaped charge, but he did really bad, like 0 or 1 successes.  I decided that meant he couldn't come up with a good shape, and just put the explosives in the middle surrounded by the combustible fuel.  Then they welded everything shut.

Since the van still had the windshield and front windows open, I treated it like a forward facing explosion, focusing the pressure that built up in the back.  In the end I decided this was sufficient to blow up the house.  The call I made was that there were some structural beams left in a few places, and some outer walls weren't completely leveled, but that everybody inside was killed.  The only people in the house were all within 5-10 meters of the van when it blew up.

Does this sound totally out of whack?  Did I get anywhere close to what should have really happened?

Bonus question, do mages have a teleport spell or anything like that?  If so, there might have been one survivor...

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <09-17-18/1357:13> »
Resurrection, Time Travel and Teleportation are the three Big No's of Shadowrun Magic. Even the most powerful entities cannot do that stuff.

If we follow 'fuel-based engine bonuses to exploding vehicles' (+20P), 10k of rating 5 commercial explosives, no proper fragmentation-setup, we're at 16P+20P=36P, -2 DV per meter. 10 meters from the van is 16P/-2 while 5 meters is 26P/-2. So people at 10m distance might have barely survived by getting lucky, especially with some cover from walls.  The structural stuff would survive if it was far from the blast, but it would go down near the blast (24d to resist so buying hits -6 damage). Heck, technically you'd already get holes in the far walls, 16P/-2 barely is enough to beat a structural wall.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

PingGuy

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-17-18/1444:13> »
Thanks, that makes sense.  I'm going to sit down and read the rules when I get a chance, because I'm sure this will come up again.  Do you know if all of that is covered in the CRB?  I saw some references while searching that mentioned explosion rules in other books.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <09-17-18/1454:34> »
Run&Gun has detailed rules regarding explosives, though part of it is doable by simple mathematical formula. The rest is for stuff like wrongly estimating as a player and lots of other situational rules.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!