NEWS

Tell me about: Matrix Connectivity and Noise

• 16 Replies

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <04-18-18/2311:13> »
The idea that Matrix Actions require Matrix connection is asinine.

SR5 p. 237 Matrix Actions
Matrix actions are only available in the Matrix.

Thank you for proving my point for me:

The idea that you cannot take notes on your commlink (Edit File) without a Matrix connection is very hard to swallow, and would be a prime example of why everyone should avoid 5e like a plague.

Combine that with paying customers are still waiting for a comprehensive errata for the Core Rule Book (coming up on five years after release, with no finish line in sight) - that isn't a slam on the errata team, they are volunteering their time after all, and still have to have changes approved by some "secret" committee - and 5e should be avoided like a plague.

And I happen to like the basic rules system for 5e over 4th.  Granted, that is because I cut my teeth on 2nd / 3rd, and 5e is much closer to 3rd than 4th.  That doesn't take away from the fact 5e just isn't worth any money at this point.

Almost everything that involves technology in 5e needs to be reviewed, and much of that rewritten.  If Sixth Edition isn't slated before the end of the year (with a comprehensive errata available within a year of release - or at least very strong evidence of it being continuously worked on) everyone should just go with 4e, or take the world into their system of choice.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <04-19-18/0120:35> »
What do you mean...?

In SR5 you are generally expected to always be wireless enabled and connected to a Grid and the Matrix as a whole. I can't see how I can form a persona and log into a Grid and the Matrix as a whole if the device I am using is wireless disabled. If this was a "thing" then I would suspect that there would be a lot of rules covering this topic. But there isn't.

The tools a rigger have to his disposal are Noise and Firewall. Using a RCC to increase noise and firewall to make it hard for a potential attacker. Using a direct connection between your wireless enabled RCC and your vehicle is to fully eliminate noise for yourself, but even when that is not practical you can use your RCC to suppress noise between your devices in our PAN (your drones). I am still wireless enabled and connected to a Grid and the Matrix as a whole. I still have a persona. I can still be attacked from the Grid.

As a last resort you can order one of your drones to reboot, while this will remove marks a potential hacker might have it will also make the drone unavailable until the end of the next combat turn. If you (or someone else) reboot the device you formed your persona on (willingly or not) then your persona will be thrown out of the matrix (possible causing dumpshock).

While I guess it might make sense to some people that there should be a way to jump into your vehicle while fully disconnected from the matrix, I would love to see where in the actual rules this whole "running wireless-off" idea get supported.