NEWS

Remaking an old concept

• 8 Replies

• Newb
« on: <04-16-18/0320:49> »
Hi I'm remaking an old concept (Really was my first shadowrun character, ever) and I want to give her a secondary role but I'm unsure how to do it without sucking. The concept is a covert ops infiltrator but I want to add some face abilities to make her an even better infiltrator ( Think a mix of Black Widow/Michael Weston). Anyone have any ideas or tips?

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-16-18/1505:47> »
A mix of physical / social adept is easy enough to pull off. What's giving you trouble specifically?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-16-18/1545:56> »
Excessive cyberware gives you a hit on your social limit, but if you're not excessive there are some cyber/bio augmentations that'd synergize exceptionally well with covert ops and face work.  Take a look at the many sorts of augmentations that allow you to alter your appearance.  Another suggestion would be a Vocal Modulator: helps with impersonation and defeating voice-recognition maglocks.

It's a bit self-serving perhaps but you might find some insight or ideas in my attempt to build a very similar character!  Even if what you learn is examples of what you don't want to do.... ;) 
« Last Edit: <04-16-18/1547:52> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-17-18/0130:54> »
A mix of physical / social adept is easy enough to pull off. What's giving you trouble specifically?

I'm trying to do it without magic, and being as balanced as possible

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-17-18/0246:16> »
Excessive cyberware gives you a hit on your social limit, but if you're not excessive there are some cyber/bio augmentations that'd synergize exceptionally well with covert ops and face work.  Take a look at the many sorts of augmentations that allow you to alter your appearance.  Another suggestion would be a Vocal Modulator: helps with impersonation and defeating voice-recognition maglocks.

It's a bit self-serving perhaps but you might find some insight or ideas in my attempt to build a very similar character!  Even if what you learn is examples of what you don't want to do.... ;)

Your thread was what inspired me to dust her off and fix her up

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-17-18/0303:49> »
Hehehe.  Since that's the case, I should let you know I'm thinking the priority A on skills w supporting cyber is the way to go... not sure my most recent activity there reflects that.

My reasoning is twofold: the aforementioned hit to social limit on being heavy cyber, as well as it being cheaper to upgrade augmentation grades & ratings as the character develops.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-17-18/0849:49> »
The penalty to limit from going from 6 essence to less than 1 essence is two points. You gain three points back with pheremones. Cyberware, even heavy cyberware, is good. But for the infiltration role heavy cyber is unnecessary.

Also, skills A is virtually always a trap. Attributes A, Skills B, Cyber C, Elf D, Mundane E, would work, or even Attributes B, Cyber B if you can use sum to 10.

Tailered pheromones, increased agility, and probably a narco are must haves. Two initiative passes would probably be enough. 

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <05-05-18/0426:21> »
Another question about qualities that has been bugging me, should I take Bilingual or Linguist, or both? Either one fits the concept but both might be good to have together, even if one is less useful

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-05-18/2119:28> »
Another question about qualities that has been bugging me, should I take Bilingual or Linguist, or both? Either one fits the concept but both might be good to have together, even if one is less useful

If you want to speak lots of languages then take Linguist.
If you want to speak like a native in two languages take Bilingual.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.