NEWS

What's your favorite Negative Quality packages?

• 18 Replies

Grizzly

• Newb
« on: <03-30-18/1808:06> »
So mechanically it's often a good idea to try and max out Negative Qualities to get the most karma available at char gen.  I also look for good pairings to help fill out and tell the story of the character.  So what 'packages' of neg qualities do you chummers find work well together?

For example, I often take Consummate Professional and Bad Rep: Since we don't ever talk about what happened in Vegas rumors sometimes get out of control...

Any other ideas?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1 on: <03-30-18/1819:09> »
Code of Honor, and SINner.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-30-18/1832:47> »
I too like SINers.   It's basically the min/max'ers dream drawback.  "Gee, what amounts to the same effect of a +5 Karma drawback in the National SIN, but I get 15 or 25 karma for it instead of 5?  Count me in!" 

Prejudices are also fun ways to immerse yourself in the sixth world.  "God damned orks/elfs/mages/cops/deckers/whatever ruining things for everyone again..."  Just keep it Sixth World related for good taste.

Allergies are also a perennial favorite of mine.  It used to be just metahumans who got them.  And further back, it was something metahumans always got as opposed to being an optional drawback :D  Now that anyone can have them and noone HAS to have them, they're more fun.  Being allergic to weird things like plastic, iron, or concrete helps even mundane characters feel touched by the magical sixth world.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-30-18/1912:19> »
When I'm GMing a game, I change SINer to 5 karma for corporate limited and 10. 

As a player, i think Dry Addict and Code of Honor can be fub.  I have an idea for a street sam (former ganger) who ODed once and got arrested, and before escaping some years later had a cellmate who was an over the hill sammy.  He learned the code of bushido and the discipline helped him kick his habbit, but he is still immensly afraid of slipping into his old lifestyle.
The power of the Tri-Horse!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-30-18/2020:28> »
Just to be clear, I love Code of Honor, for a list of reasons, but at heart it comes down to if you don't believe in something you will fall for anything. Codes are good for players and the GM it helps shape characters and establishes limits on acceptable activities, which helps shape runs. If you have code against killing your not gonna take wetwork. If your code is silence to the police your not gonna co-operate with the Cops.
SINner I also like mostly b/c many characters will be born in some kind of organized society, be that corporation or country, and other will have a past that traces that way. So to me that set helps establish a lot about a character and gives you some basis for their history and their beliefs.
Thinking
com
speaking

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-30-18/2353:52> »
I like the Code of Honor Akashika (or however it is spelt) coupled with Spirit bane: Toxics. I am Indian (usually Cherokee since that's what my actual tribe is) Captain Planet so go screw yourself toxic spirit.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-31-18/0108:19> »
When I'm being scummy:

two Mild Addictions (usually to Psyche and Cram...with Narco this is really just a positive) for 8 karma
Impassive (7 karma for something that has little mechanical effect. It is not a very well written quality) for 7 karma 
Weak Immune system (or another mostly innocuous 10 karma quality) 

This fills 25 karma of negative qualities that usually fits well enough for my drug raddled characters. 

However,  I believe this spread technically affects notoriety poorly (+3) from the get-go, but I don't find GMs take it much into consideration or have a lot of tools to systematically do so.

Ogrepot

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <03-31-18/0416:53> »
As far as i am concerned i like the Poor Self Control qualities because they help shape the character's temper.
If my character has above 8 in composure i usually take Thrill Seeker considering it ends up having only a positive effect, but then it is role play, i also like vindictive and braggart (especially if i play a ganger or a sammy).
I always take the Consummate Professional quality, whatever i play, i always play a professional.
I like the allergy, but only mild for common while i take the 10 for uncommon types.
Addiction alcohol at mild level is an usual favorite of mine also.
I nearly always take SINer, usually at national level.

When i play a decker i always take curiosity killed the cat (i would go look at this file anyway, so i take the +2 to crack file as a bonus...)
When i play a ganger or sammy i often take impassive, i also had this one with a mage, but not a nice one.

I haven't tried the Bad Credit one from Complete Trog, but i gave it to my new troll adept face character (found the first effect during creation, no APDS rounds), don't know yet if the effect will be difficult.
I wonder also about the Force of Chaos one...

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-01-18/1625:35> »
As it seems we have exhausted folks disad pairings about advantage pairings? 
Thinking
com
speaking

Flux2077

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <04-01-18/1744:17> »
- mild addiction to alcohol
- mild addiction to novacoke
- Bad Reputation
- SINer, national - UCAS
- Prejudice , outspoken against Technomancers

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <04-02-18/0350:51> »
Consummate Professional and Aged 1.
The main negative effect of Aged 1 shouldn't be felt for mentally inclined characters.
The additional karma and knowledge skill points makes this combo hard to resist.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #11 on: <04-07-18/0046:38> »
...a few I usually like to use:

Mild Addiction to whatever Performance Enhancing Drugs the character uses.

Creature of Comfort: Middle Lifestyle (can get spendy if the character is awakened but great for a mundane).

Faceless (good to have some Disguise skill to back this up)

Impassive (excellent for a character who has seen a lot of death and destruction in his/her backstory and is not terribly concerned about how good he or she is with social skills)

Prejudice:  Mild - Specific (Everyone has some sort of dislike, Meta's don't like the Humanis polyclub, a human from Portland may be suspicious of Elves, A CAS citizen has a beef about the Azzies, again this can work into a character's backstory).
Forsaken daughter is watching you

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #12 on: <04-08-18/0812:45> »
With my current character, an e-ghost, I'm enjoying the combination of Corrupter (-10) and Fragmentation (-18).  It goes over the 25NQ limit (in my games, you can go over, you just never get more than 25 Karma, meaning less incentive to get irrelevant 2 or 3 karma NQs to fill gaps) but presents a strong character concept by itself.  You are a broken, malformed and glitchy matrix entity.  Part of your code is corrupted, you're fragmented, and you don't get along with other programs and devices super well.  Good for a very aggressive AI or one that just needs to seem unstable.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <04-08-18/1324:04> »
I also want to add that I have never had more fun with a negative quality than I did with Code of Honor: "Like a Boss."
The power of the Tri-Horse!

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <04-15-18/0444:04> »
I personally like stuff like: incomplete deprogramming, blank slate and did you just call me dumb? ( not on the same character though)
Makes for many good roleplaying scenarios.