NEWS

Ready Player One is actually a semi-decent movie for shadowrun inspiration.

• 7 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <04-10-18/0254:58> »
Obviously not a complete match with elves, dwarves, etc only showing up online but even so there's plenty there that works if people get a chance to have a look at it. Massive online VR, corporations with their own security forces and black ops sections, online figures who can be hired (and you never find out their real world identity in the movie), bribes for people with "talent". I can't say too much without spoiling the movie but I do think its worth a look if people get a chance as it may prompt some ideas.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-10-18/0258:19> »
Absolutely it can give a common frame of reference for SR gamers to discuss Matrix concepts/goings on.  "The Johnson is meeting you in a VR disco, like that one in RP1.  Yeah, you can even do some zero-g dancing while you wait to be "seated".  And hey, if you have AR-enabled clothing, you can even feel that hands of that hot female avatar touching you without having to be in full VR... let's hope she's not a 300lb dude from Detroit!"
« Last Edit: <04-10-18/0300:14> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-10-18/0314:42> »
Pretty much the stack slums for lower lifestyle hot sim vs cold sim in the padded crotch shot, the online credits being usable to buy actual online and real world items, the different worlds of the oasis being different hubs for various companies. Just move the online characters into the real world and you start to hit the shadowrun world (human-mystic adept/face, elf face, troll decker, human-street sam with cyber, human?-street sam adept). It really does work well and I do like the idea of Johnson's using a set avatar to meet their contacts online protecting both sides "identity" and oh say the fact you've actually had 3 different VP's of special projects using that specific ID.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-10-18/1707:57> »
Both have literal wage slavery. That's about it.

manchuwook

• Newb
  • DO EET!
« Reply #4 on: <04-10-18/2019:04> »
I liked the movie.  Though honestly, i-Rock completely sold it for me.  The line about "I've got this pain in my neck, it's like carpal tunnel, but in the neck.  I don't even know if that's a thing..."

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-11-18/0051:29> »
Both have literal wage slavery. That's about it.

Well I got more out of it than that.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-11-18/0722:35> »
It's hard to really get anything out of it. It's a terrible movie. More power to you, I guess.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <04-11-18/2304:14> »
Not to turn this into a Ready Player One review thread, but just saying it's a terrible movie I think is a gross oversimplification. The movie isn't Schindler's List, it doesn't have Tarantino levels of snappy dialogue, and it won't make you rethink your life. But honestly, I can't see how anyone reasonably expected any of that, and if they did it's their own fault they're disappointed.

What the movie is is 2 hours of pure geek eye-candy and 80s/90s/00s nostalgia, with enough of a plot to strong it together. The characters weren't complex, granted, but they were fairly believable(if written a bit predictably at times). But even beyond that, visually the movie is gorgeous. Even if you hate all the rest, that aspect is phenomenal.

And objectively there is much more it shares with various parts of Shadowrun than just the literal wage slavery. People spending more time in VR than meatspace, massive economic disparity, high-tech minidrones, and that hint at the end(no spoilers)? All very 6th world.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp