NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings

• 1943 Replies

irisheathen

• Omae
  • "There is enough time to sleep when you're dead."
« Reply #330 on: <01-30-13/0812:41> »
Fixed my post. What changed?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #331 on: <01-30-13/0852:34> »
I surprised Crossbow with gear, and it snowballed.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #332 on: <01-30-13/0910:55> »
Fixed my post. What changed?

I've changed it too (just removed part actually).  :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

irisheathen

• Omae
« Reply #333 on: <01-30-13/0952:57> »
Well crap. Sooooooooo time to make camp then be horribly maimed in the darkness? (Wish Johnny was an elf right about now ::) )
About what time is it in ICC dear GM?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #334 on: <01-30-13/1004:38> »
It is early, well before noon in fact, you just are not making good time

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #335 on: <01-30-13/1326:39> »
On the subject of OOC chatter, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a more of this IC, with a force 5 spirit providing concealment, there is absolutely no reason that each group can't be chatting amongst itself.  Nothing you are walking past would even notice.
It took twice as long to get to this stream as you figured it would, what with all the gawking and jabbering...

Hrm, anyone else notice a connection between these two posts by our (rather sneaky) GM?  :-\ :o ;)
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #336 on: <01-30-13/1529:15> »
On the subject of OOC chatter, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a more of this IC, with a force 5 spirit providing concealment, there is absolutely no reason that each group can't be chatting amongst itself.  Nothing you are walking past would even notice.
It took twice as long to get to this stream as you figured it would, what with all the gawking and jabbering...

Hrm, anyone else notice a connection between these two posts by our (rather sneaky) GM?  :-\ :o ;)

*notices the distinct lack of angel smileys, and shrugs*  You sir, are getting paranoid.

By the way, I just sent some info farothel, than I realized 1) how difficult it was to understand and 2) that it was better to put it here, even though Sammy is the only one that knows it.  You seem like a realtively trustworthy bunch, * Gm's evil eye tracks to the suspiciously shady ones at the table*

Anyway, the best guesstimate (see what I did there?  ;) ) of distance you have is Sammy's astral trek, with the problem being there is no such thing as Astral GPS,  Using the distance from the clearing you started in to the waterway you are at now as a measure (X), the distance to the bridge is anywhere from 3X to 5X that distance, probably closer to the higher end.  The path off the river is at least that , X distance again, but probably not more than twice that.

Is that understandable?

Also, the stream is starting to turn into a small river, so walking in it won't be an option very long.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #337 on: <01-30-13/1602:54> »
Anyway, the best guesstimate (see what I did there?  ;) ) of distance you have is Sammy's astral trek, with the problem being there is no such thing as Astral GPS,  Using the distance from the clearing you started in to the waterway you are at now as a measure (X), the distance to the bridge is anywhere from 3X to 5X that distance, probably closer to the higher end.  The path off the river is at least that , X distance again, but probably not more than twice that.

Is that understandable?

Also, the stream is starting to turn into a small river, so walking in it won't be an option very long.

I think I get it.  If x is 2 klicks, then to the bridge is between 6 and 10 and from there to the lodge is ... let's say between 2 and 4.  That of course doesn't tell us everything about time, as the path will walk easier than downhill in a forest, but it gives us some estimate.  :)
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #338 on: <01-30-13/1620:43> »
You sir, are getting paranoid.
Yes, and?  ;D (BTW, I don't see an angel smiley in the editor...)

Is that understandable?

So, we're about 1/4 to 1/6 of the way to the bridge, and 1/5 to 1/8 of the way to the lodge. Got it. And since our initial estimate was that this was perhaps doable in a day's walk, and assuming a 10-hour walking day, that means that our initial estimate was that X would take us somewhere between 75 minutes and 2 hours (10/8 and 10/5, respectively). Since it took us about twice as long to get X distance, that means we've been walking somewhere in the range of 2 1/2 to 4 hours, with a good 16-18 hours to go if we can keep up our present pace, which isn't very likely, as our feet are going to get pretty badly torn up unless our mages can do something for us on that front. And the bridge is 12-15 hours away, still.

Oh, and incidentally, according to wikipedia the average human walking speed is just over 3 miles per hour, so the lodge is (probably) about 30 miles from our starting point.

And of course, all of this information is way above Torley's head. :)
[spoiler]
Details on the math, with the time from the starting point to here = X

Here to Bridge = 3X, Bridge to Lodge = XHere to Bridge = 3X, Bridge to Lodge = 2XHere to Bridge = 5X, Bridge to Lodge = XHere to Bridge = 5X, Bridge to Lodge = 2X
Total TripX+3X+X = 5XX+3X+2X = 6XX+5X+X = 7XX+5X+2X = 8X
Initial Time EstimateX = 10/5, or 2 hoursX = 10/6, or 100 minutesX = 10/7, or 86 minutesX = 10/8, or 75 minutes
Total Actual Walking Time4 hours3 hours, 20 minutes2 hours, 51 minutes2 hours, 30 minutes
Time to Bridge12 hours10 hours14 hours, 17 minutes12 hours, 30 minutes
Time to Lodge16 hours16 hours, 40 minutes17 hours, 9 minutes17 hours, 30 minutes

Yes, I'm a nerd. Sorry.  ;D
[/spoiler]
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

irisheathen

• Omae
« Reply #339 on: <01-30-13/1642:48> »
My question is do we cross the river now or at the bridge?  ::) We could cross now and risk a diagonal trek through the woods to intersect the path after the bridge and possibly make the lodge tonight. If we get lost we could always have Sammy pop in the astral again to guide us at intervals. We would definitely be separating from the other group at that point though and also possibly tying our own noose.

A: Start
B: Lodge
X: Current position
--------------------------------------------------------------
 A-----------------------XI \                                                                                 
                                  I  \                                               
                                  I    \   <possible route                                           
                                  I     \                                           
                   Bridge> =------\---------------B                                                   
                                  I                                             
                   Stream> I                                                   
--------------------------------------------------------------

Wow :o the maths.
Also it depends on the type of forest we are walking through I would say if we are still anywhere near Seattle coniferous tree species would be the dominant types(pine needles would cushion our feet and we would be fine. ;D)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #340 on: <01-30-13/1834:25> »
Given that we've got the technomancer and a mage capable of astral manifestation, getting to the cabin as fast as possible isn't a bad thing; if there's a satlink there, I'll have something to work with - and Sammy can track down the other group when the conjured spirit would be expiring, giving them directions.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #341 on: <01-30-13/1848:25> »
The instructions were shady at best, so I'm quite sure the groups are separated. Is there any way for the two groups to interact with each other?
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #342 on: <01-30-13/1850:06> »
The instructions were shady at best, so I'm quite sure the groups are separated. Is there any way for the two groups to interact with each other?

Now that there's no internal comm in the other group, no.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #343 on: <01-30-13/1908:42> »
What about if we were to write a message on the ground for the other group to read? Would that be concealed as well?
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

irisheathen

• Omae
« Reply #344 on: <01-30-13/1954:07> »
Lets try  8)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>