NEWS

Hidden Blades

• 38 Replies

Devil

• Omae
« on: <10-10-10/1000:43> »
I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I have a gun cane. I want it to also include a spring loaded hidden blade. Is this possible?

Second, I was wondering if you can put a blade on a spring loaded hidden arm slide or if there is another way to get the same effect without cyberware.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-10-10/1035:44> »
I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, I have a gun cane. I want it to also include a spring loaded hidden blade. Is this possible?
shure, why not ask Your GM
Second, I was wondering if you can put a blade on a spring loaded hidden arm slide or if there is another way to get the same effect without cyberware.
get yourself a Ceramic knife ,should help you with MAD (but not with Cyberscanners)
There has always been the Wristblade forearm Snap Blade(equivalent to  Spurs )

JahtaHey
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <10-10-10/1113:17> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #2 on: <10-10-10/1056:52> »
Forearm Snap Blade Sr4 pg 305. I never understood why a cyberscanner detected ceramic knives.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-10-10/1152:09> »
Forearm Snap Blade Sr4 pg 305. I never understood why a cyberscanner detected ceramic knives.

Millimeter wave scanners detect solid objects. Flesh doesn't interfere with the scanner so when it scans a human you see the solid things. The outline of a ceramic knife doesn't look much like the outline of a bone.
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <10-10-10/1336:14> »
Quote from: SR4A, p. 322
Hidden Arm Slide: Attached to the forearm and worn under clothing, this slide can accommodate a pistol-sized weapon. With a wireless signal or correct sequence of arm movements, the slide releases the weapon/object right into the wearer’s hand. This takes only a Free Action.

There's no reason you can use this for a blade instead of a pistol.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-10-10/1352:48> »
So the gun cane thing would require GM permission? Or is there a way to modify it to have a hidden spring loaded blade? You'd think things like that would be pretty common in canes. Especially considering you can easily get a cane that fires a bullet.

Also, if I want to smack someone with my guncane would I use the Exotic Ranged Weapon: Gun Cane skill? Or would it be Clubs? Or would I need an Exotic Melee Weapon: Cane skill?
« Last Edit: <10-10-10/1408:17> by Joker »

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #6 on: <10-10-10/1418:10> »
Clubs for just the cane. It would probably be exotic weapon sword cane for well the sword cane.
la vida no vale nada

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <10-10-10/1504:50> »
Okay, on the gun cane, think about it for a second. Where are you going to hide the blade? The cane is barely big enough to have the gun mechanism hidden inside, so adding a hidden blade means it will either interfere with the firing of the gun or make the cane bulkier, reducing the concealability.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #8 on: <10-10-10/1511:23> »
Gun on one end blade on the other? Maybe something that latches on? I misread and thought he wanted a sword cane instead of a gun cane.
la vida no vale nada

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-10-10/1519:26> »
Okay, on the gun cane, think about it for a second. Where are you going to hide the blade? The cane is barely big enough to have the gun mechanism hidden inside, so adding a hidden blade means it will either interfere with the firing of the gun or make the cane bulkier, reducing the concealability.

the handle is the gun,the barrel is in the upper end of the cane and the Blade is in the lower end. You separate the Handle(& Barrel) from the "pointy Stick part" of the Cane

JahtaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #10 on: <10-10-10/1542:15> »
I suppose you could have a rapier-style short sword with the blade stuck into the barrel of the firearm, the blade handle forming the last 3 or 4 inches of the far tip of the cane.

You would have to remove the sword from the cane before you could use either weapon, though.

-k

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-10-10/1841:35> »
What I was thinking is that the blade could curve inward, fitting inside the bottom end of the cane, but sitting outside the barrel of the gun. Basically it would be between the two.

To help you picture it, if someone were stabbed by it they would have wound that looks like the sliver of the moon (crescent).

I'm also talking about something knife sized, not these swords and stuff you're talking about.

Also, a sword cane is no more difficult to use than any other sword. They are just usually a bit on the short side, Angelone.
« Last Edit: <10-10-10/1844:11> by Joker »

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #12 on: <10-11-10/0244:57> »
Exotic weapons are generally either different in their function or their effect.

So, function = Thagomizer, gyrojet pistol.  Hitting someone with your tail is not like punching them and shooting little rockets (usually in underwater fights) isn't the same as shooting bullets.
Effect = laser, flamethrower.  Wicked armor-destroying awesomeness.  Own rules, own skill.

Function and effect = Monowhip.  It behaves unlike any other melee weapon and damages unlike any other.

So, a spring knife in a cane could act and be used much like any other bladed weapon.  Enough alike that it doesn't need its own rules or specialization.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <10-11-10/0506:57> »
Lasers ass well as few other thinks requiring an exotic weapons skill makes no sense what so ever.
Its not like pulling a trigger of a laser pistol is a totally different from pulling the trigger of a normal pistol.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #14 on: <10-11-10/0819:29> »
Are we talking about a blade that pops out of the end of a cane or a blade at the top that you pull out along with part of the cane? For the second I'd agree you don't need an exotic skill. The first is different enough in balance and striking area that I'd say you have to. You can't use the usual blade moves with as much effect with the pop out blade.
la vida no vale nada