NEWS

Anti-Theft System

• 8 Replies

Tenkel-Kwentra

• Newb
« on: <02-15-13/0009:10> »
The two mod slots required for the Anti-Theft System (Page 132, Arsenal) seems like a lot, yet it's price is merely 200*body making it extremely cheap for something that deals 10 electric damage.  Recently I have been thinking about equipping such a system on a drone and using it offensively, as it makes sense that if targets only have to touch the drone to get shocked then the drone could actively attack with it.  Question is: How would such an attack attempt be resolved? Would it be via an autosoft targeting based attack roll or would it be resolved via the ramming rules? Would you be able to choose between the 2 bonus dice from touching rules and adding successes to damage?

Only other thing to think about is it is the only 'weapon' capable of dealing electric damage that doesn't have a limited power supply, while also being the most powerful, which I consider slightly odd.  Should it actually use an energy supply like a vehicle mounted laser weapon does, or is it really meant to be infinite use?

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-15-13/0017:40> »
I don't think its really meant for infinite uses, I'd probably charge off of a car's alternator. If I were GMing it I'd give you about 3 good shocks before saying its out of juice, without starting the car back up and letting it charge back up. On a drone, I'd definitely not give it infinite charges, but that's really up to your GM.

As far as the rules, I'd say ramming rules honestly.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <02-15-13/0113:55> »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mantis

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-15-13/0119:41> »
Buy a targeting autosoft and call it a melee attack. It is basically attacking as the Dragonfly drone does using a special weapon. And yeah, limit the charges as that is more damage than even the best taser can pull off. Maybe 1 charge per body point on a drone.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-15-13/0121:16> »
I'd avoid a hard limit on usage, but drain the active life of the vehicle by a set amount each time - say, one hour.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #5 on: <02-15-13/0201:28> »
Because your car is worth more than their life...  ;D
Haven't seen that in ages, it reminds me of a spoof video using a tesla coil that was mounted on the top of a car as a security measure. Thing is tesla coils are huge, so it was extra hilarious.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Snake Eyes

• Chummer
  • I am the Matrx
« Reply #6 on: <02-15-13/1244:45> »
Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-18-13/1242:20> »
I was going to say that 10Se sounds rather strong, especially for drones, but charges equal to Body doesn't sound so bad (none of the groups I have been with like actually tracking operating time for vehicles). And +1 to you, CanRay, I haven't seen that in ages.

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-19-13/1928:41> »
I'd probably force the mod for extra fuel, just to run it on a Drone smaller than Medium. For car-sized Drones, it sounds pretty reasonable, but I'd offhandedly say that if your Emotitoy can be loaded to poke into a misbehaving teammate and knock them flat on their ass, pre-programmed to do so whenever the software detects 'anger', it'd better have some crazy big batteries.

Troll Sammie: "I'm da boss 'round here, don' you forget it, daisy-eating pixie!"

Elven Rigger: "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!" *Holds out plush care-bear.

Troll: "Aww, is so cute..." goes to crush it in his hands.

BZZZZZTTT!