NEWS

AR glove implants/accessories

• 12 Replies

psycho835

• Omae
« on: <11-20-15/0831:46> »
Hoi, chummers,
Before we get started: the previous topic went completely off the rails when discussion touched upon datajacks, so I'm opening a new one.

Short story, one of my players has a cyberarm with some leftover capacity and wanted to cram an AR glove in there. Problem is, there is nothing like that in the core book (still don't have "Chrome Flesh", though) and this seems like such a small modification that I'm wondering if it should take any capacity at all. On the other hand, 4E "Augmentation" has cybersafety, which takes up 1 point of capacity despite being nothing more than a security chip. And since we are already here - how much essence would AR gloves require as an implant?

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <11-20-15/0904:22> »
Interesting thought. I would say 1 capacity or no capacity, leaning towards 0. Cyberears and Cybereyes come with soundlink and imagelink  respectively without additional capacity cost. I don't see why a cyberarm can't come with AR manipulation functionality without essence cost. Maybe it should make the cyberarm more a little more expensive (2x cost of the AR glove?)

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <11-20-15/1222:56> »
In run n gun it listed as one capacity under armor add one so one can assume it should take about the same space in a cyber arm mostly up to the gm

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #3 on: <11-20-15/1250:17> »
Like others have said, one capacity in the cyberarm. If you're talking essence outside of a limb, I'd say 0.05 at most.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-20-15/1602:32> »
Or.. you know.. just wear AR gloves or modify the armor to include them?
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #5 on: <11-20-15/1820:03> »
Or.. you know.. just wear AR gloves or modify the armor to include them?
^this

The point of having Image Link glasses and AR gloves is to avoid having to get implants. So the 100% squishy Mage can still play MMOs.

But you're talking about someone who has already bitten the bullet and got an implant. If you are afraid of taking the extra 0.1 hit to add a Datajack (which automatically gives you Image Link and AR manipulation in your mind), then why not just wear the glove on your robot hand? You'll notice the AR glove is hand-shaped, as is the robot hand you just paid a lot of money for. They should be compatible. ;)

There is nothing to be gained by incorporating AR Gloves into your Cyberarm.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-20-15/1839:00> »
He has a habit of grabbing knies/swords/whatever by the blade in the middle of a fight. I know, there's nothing like that in the mechanics, but that's how he describes it. He's kinda big on immersion.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-21-15/1601:59> »
He has a habit of grabbing knies/swords/whatever by the blade in the middle of a fight. I know, there's nothing like that in the mechanics, but that's how he describes it. He's kinda big on immersion.

Again, the solution is a Datajack for Direct Neural Interface, no need to make gestures, just give a mental command.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <11-25-15/0507:02> »

Are you making him resist damage for his blade grabs???

Lets face it, deliberately grabbing a monowired blade (ares monosword) is going to have a fairly good chance just to slice his robotic fingers off. (There's Immersion for you!!)

And yea, the datajack is the alternative to AR googles and gloves...

But if you REALLY want to go this way,
1 cap./.1 essence
X3 cost of the gloves (have to pay someone to actually implant and wire it all, afterall)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-25-15/1948:59> »
Yes, but only for things that should have a reasonable chance of damaging it (it has armor 3), storytelling-wise - monosword or vibroblade, he's rolling. One time, he grabbed a monowhip and had to replace everything down from the elbow. But for things like ceramic knives or normal swords, I don't bother - he just gets some new scratches on the limb.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-25-15/2000:18> »
One question about cyber limbs that I have, that has never been answered:

Do cyberlimbs transmit pain?
I mean, they are tied into the central nervous system, have tactile receptors so you can 'feel' objects and what not....

But does that extend to pain? Would having your cyber fingers sliced off leave you as inconpasitated by pain as having your real fingers cut off???

Hmmmmm...

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-25-15/2103:43> »
Yes. Augmentation, p. 33. The section titled "Cyberlimb Sensory Cut-off" makes it clear that cyberlimbs DO in fact, transmit pain. You can just "turn it off", but that will also kill tactile perception in the whole limb, giving you penalties to using it.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-25-15/2117:13> »
Yes. Augmentation, p. 33. The section titled "Cyberlimb Sensory Cut-off" makes it clear that cyberlimbs DO in fact, transmit pain. You can just "turn it off", but that will also kill tactile perception in the whole limb, giving you penalties to using it.

Hah.

Good to know, thanks.