NEWS

Discount thugs

• 8 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« on: <07-31-17/1420:32> »
So question to the brain trust, I've been thinking about ways to update/enhance low profession rating opposition, i guess it could also be useful for street level builds maybe?
So what the best loadout you can drop on low grade muscle, go for say 50k?  My first try was, Boosted Reflexes 10k, Cyber-eyes:(Flair comp+Smart-link) 11k, Hand Razors 1.125k, Muscle Replacement (25k). Totals to 47.125 and leaves about 3k for guns, armor and misc gear.

So what do you think? 50k to Much? 50k to Little? Better Load outs?

Thanks for your thoughts!
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-31-17/1552:33> »
The answer is drugs. Sweet, sweet drugs. Add some Narco for 17.000 and with Kamikaze you are already set up.

talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-31-17/1554:05> »
Low-grade muscle is supposed to be disposable; I wouldn't think they rate more than a 5K investment. They'd need to prove themselves competent and reliable (i.e., at least "average" muscle) to merit any significant augmentation.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-31-17/2102:12> »
The answer is drugs. Sweet, sweet drugs. Add some Narco for 17.000 and with Kamikaze you are already set up.

Don't your players get wise to that? I mean just run off for 3 mins and come back to bunch of out cold thugs?
Thinking
com
speaking

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-31-17/2218:29> »
3 minutes is what, 30 combat rounds? Besides, that means HTR is 3 minutes closer.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-01-17/0121:50> »
Narco reduces the damage you receive from 6 to 5 Stun. That's little enough (also to solve this you use of course more drugs - Stimpatches)
Also my players usually leave the thugs out cold by their own  ;D
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-01-17/0157:49> »
Narco buffs the drug's bonuses. Sure, it's most useful on drugs with irresistible damage, but still not bad.
That and boosted Reflexes would make for a pretty good investment for people you're willing to spend something on to bolster your security, but not enough to make them capable.
Though for the really cheap ones, as others have said, drugs.
Just drugs, it doesn't really cost you anything in the grand scheme of things. And if you're well off, you can always give them Immortal Flower.
That'd probably even inspire some loyalty if they survive.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-01-17/1402:03> »
The definition of "low-grade street muscle" is flexible and open to interpretation, but for the purposes of this reply I'll take it to mean a street ganger.

First, Jack_Spade is right that drugs are a great equalizer. Pump some goons full of combat drugs and they'll go from "not competitive" to "potentially dangerous", especially if there are a lot of them.

If you're talking about augmentations, I don't think it's unreasonable for a ganger to have some. Remember, you don't have to take nuyen too literally: not everything is paid for in cash. Think of it more as assets, or even opportunity cost. Even a ganger can repurpose a cyberlimb that fell off the back of the truck (or off the dude they beat the drek out of). Used augmentations are ideal for street scum, PC or NPC.

Acknowledging in advance that the sample characters in the core rulebooks are meant to be PCs rather than grist for the mill, they can still offer clues as to what's reasonable for a ganger to be running around with. Here are the augmentations from the sample ganger characters from SR3-5:

SR3: dermal plating R1, retractable handblade
SR4: muscle replacement R1, datajack
SR5: cyberarm (standard, used, obvious, with precisely zero enhancements or customization)

Taking a different approach, you can turn to the grunts at the back of SR5 (p. 389) and see that a ganger lieutenant has a retractable spur but the rank-and-file don't have anything.

I think Marcus' original list would work well for the leader of a mid-sized gang, especially if everything is used. Subtract 1 or 2 things for the lieutenants, depending on the gang's resources, and subtract another 1-2 things for the front line cannon fodder.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-01-17/1411:31> »
Narco reduces the damage you receive from 6 to 5 Stun. That's little enough (also to solve this you use of course more drugs - Stimpatches)
Also my players usually leave the thugs out cold by their own  ;D

Yeah that all makes good sense. 

The idea is to keep it as generic as possible. I'm just sick of the core's low prof npcs and wanted to see if folks had better ideas.
« Last Edit: <08-01-17/1415:16> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking