NEWS

Drones and Recoil

• 15 Replies

WalksWithWiFi

• Newb
« on: <10-04-10/1444:24> »
quick question as i am creating a rigger-

do weapons fired from drones receive recoil modifiers?

thanks in advance.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #1 on: <10-04-10/1448:17> »
Yes.  I think drones use their body to resist it or something.  In addition to any anti-recoil mods the weapon may have.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-04-10/1621:53> »
The basic rule is that vehicle/drone weapon mounts ignore recoil entirely. There's also an optional rule (Arsenal p. 105) limiting weapon mount RC to the vehicle's Body rating.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #3 on: <10-04-10/1626:27> »
Really?  That seems odd to me.  You'd think they'd still kick at least a little.  Eh, I like drones and vehicles having to worry about it so I'll keep making them deal with recoil.

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <10-04-10/1629:11> »
The basic rule is that vehicle/drone weapon mounts ignore recoil entirely. There's also an optional rule (Arsenal p. 105) limiting weapon mount RC to the vehicle's Body rating.
this is the optional rule I'm enforcing it does make it just a bit better for the player getting shot at ;)

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <10-04-10/1654:12> »

Cool, I was looking for this.  Can you tell me where to find the basic rule in the books?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <10-04-10/1703:33> »
I can't find any mention of recoil for drones in the SR4A, it only lists that drones use their targeting to fire weapons like the relevant skills.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-05-10/2136:13> »
@Qemuel: I couldn't find the basic rule either, but the rule in Arsenal implies that it exists.

Qemuel

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <10-05-10/2215:49> »
Thanks, I'll check Arsenal out.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-06-10/1250:25> »
Really?  That seems odd to me.  You'd think they'd still kick at least a little.  Eh, I like drones and vehicles having to worry about it so I'll keep making them deal with recoil.
Weapon mounts on a vehicle ignore recoil, but, as has been stated, an optional rule exists saying drones/vehicles absorb recoil using their Body as an amount of recoil compensation.  I use this rule too, as it prevents someone from mounting a super-machinegun onto a cat sized drone (body of 1 or 2) and going to town.

Since a typical car has a body of 10+, this generally means you can ignore recoil when firing from a vehicle.  Smaller drones, however, need to keep track of it and so their rigger's should be aware of the issue.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #10 on: <10-06-10/1737:25> »
After it got mentioned, I remembered reading the optional rule.  I must have been using it the whole time without realizing it.  I'm like that sometimes.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I may have to tweak it a bit more.  Flying vehicles and drones seem like they would have more problems with recoil than ground-based ones would.  Especially the smaller ones.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #11 on: <10-07-10/0115:29> »
Weapon mounts on a vehicle ignore recoil, but, as has been stated, an optional rule exists saying drones/vehicles absorb recoil using their Body as an amount of recoil compensation.  I use this rule too, as it prevents someone from mounting a super-machinegun onto a cat sized drone (body of 1 or 2) and going to town.

Actually, the errata changed the Weapon Mount rule from 1 per 3 body rounded up to 1 per 3 body rounded down.
So, that means body 1 + 2 drones can't be armed any more.

But, body 3 LEBD-1 flying drones shooting Vindicator Miniguns with no recoil is just crazy.

Still, firing a Barrett 121 isn't a problem at all since it's not an autofire weapon.  Makes just as little sense.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <10-07-10/1053:45> »
I'd have the drone roll a piloting check to see if it stayed in the air after firing a .50 caliber man-cannon.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #13 on: <10-08-10/0519:24> »
Not a bad choice.  Expend the next action regaining control or some such thing.  Keeps a little 'copter drone from firing off 3 shots in as many seconds with an anti-material rifle.

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <10-08-10/0622:45> »
There is also the posibility of a modified turret to handle recoil better but that would be a house rule at best.

Rough thoughts are based on the idea that in a turret or mounted point you could allow some movement back and forth to allow the blowback to be disipated more easily. Nothing to crazy but you could add a mod in for a couple of points of recoil reduction in.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"