NEWS

A few questions about CFD

• 49 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #45 on: <08-12-15/1546:44> »
So why would Pax salvage and rebuild Deus if she was betrayed by him and she's so anti-AI?
This question really answers itself when you remember that Pax is a psychotic bitch with a ruthless streak a mile wide. Sure, Deus was 'dead', as much as that can apply to an AI. But the fact is it was a quick death, being at ground zero of the Jormungand worm's ripping the Matrix apart. You know what's better than killing an enemy? Ripping them into pieces, making them suffer, setting them up as a scapegoat for all the drek you've been up to for the last decade, and then leaving them helpless for the 'authorities' to sweep in and deliver 'justice' to them, with their knowing the whole time that it was you, all along, that had caused every bit of their suffering, humiliation, degredation, and downfall, to the point where death would be a welcome release that you will be sure they never, ever get.

And this is why you don't piss off women.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

witchdoctor

• Chummer
« Reply #46 on: <09-05-15/1925:39> »
So why would Pax salvage and rebuild Deus if she was betrayed by him and she's so anti-AI?

Considering the fact of Deus's (apparently partial) return, though, and some of the info in the Lockdown book, would there be any chance that those rare head cases where the Deus personality wins out decide to start finishing the rebuild?  Maybe dumping a bunch of Deus-infected nanites into the Harbor Guide system and booting up all 25 servers?

Why are we assuming that Pax rebuilt Deus at all? I know that one of the major strengths of the Matrix is redundancy, redundancy, redundancy. Who's to say Deus didn't store pieces of himself somewhere that could be pieced together in the event that something happened to his core programming? And even if Deus came back I don't think we can safely assume he would be exactly the same as the very fact that he had to piece himself together from disparate pieces might change something in him or the person putting him together might have snuck something in or outright changed things to make Deus more palatable to them. I'm not saying this happened I'm just speculating.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <09-08-15/1246:04> »
The answer, Witchdoctor, is that people (and by people, I mean all 10 AAAs, GOD, and anyone else that felt the bite of the Shutdown and Crash) have been actively searching for any trace of Deus since the Crash. And they've found nothing. This means there are only a few possible outcomes:

1) The Big 3 AIs died in the crash, and were deleted from the Matrix, though their code survived in the Resonance Realms, since the Endless Archive has a copy of everything that ever was on the Matrix.

2) The Big 3 AIs died in the Crash, and their code was disseminated throughout the Matrix, becoming the 'spark' that started so many AIs emerging. Their original code remains in the Endless Archive

3) The Big 3 AIs 'transcended' to the Resonance Realms, becoming Paragons or other entities within the Realms.

4) The Big 3 AIs (or at least some of them) hid copies of their code in systems that were isolated before Jormungand got to them. However, the computing power required for storing a copy of one of the Big 3 was enormous, meaning you are unlikely to find it outside of corporate or national government mainframes. This is by far the least likely option.

Notice how most of those things have to do with the Realms? You'd have to be a TM (or Otaku) to get to the Realms. And we know (from reading in Stolen Souls and other books) that a Dr. Penelope Anne Xavier (note the initials) was deeply involved in the projects researching CFD, and she says straight out at one point that she has far more tricks up her sleeve in the Matrix than her rivals. And in Lockdown, it pretty blatantly says that Dr. Xavier is not only Pax, but also the one who pulled a fast one, inserting Deus's code into Eliohann's nanites instead of Cerberus's code.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <09-08-15/1330:47> »
If those people were looking and didn't turn up a TRACE, then they are either lying or someone is actively hiding them.  There should be traces all over the place.  Nothing substantial or actionable, but there should be traces none the less.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #49 on: <09-08-15/1405:10> »
If those people were looking and didn't turn up a TRACE, then they are either lying or someone is actively hiding them.  There should be traces all over the place.  Nothing substantial or actionable, but there should be traces none the less.
Not quite, Joe. Traces would only be present if the entities had been active in the Matrix post-Crash. And since multiple competing megas (as well as other groups or driven individuals) have not uncovered any traces, then we can legitimately assume that the Big 3 have not been active since the Crash. What you're describing is much like what we've seen happen to Pax, since she's clearly been hidden by NeoNET for some time. However, searches for the Big 3 haven't turned up anything within the Matrix proper, even to a matrix master like Dodger. If the Big 3 were in the Resonance realms in some form, sent there by some quirk of the Dissonance worm or stored within the Endless Archive, then there would be no traces in the Matrix of their activities post-Crash.

My Characters