And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-08-12/1100:59> »
Yeah, spotted this last week...looks pretty interesting.

AJC

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-08-12/1126:28> »
The movie needed the "Redemption" add-on like a moose needs a hat rack.

Anyway, this and Elite Squad 2, which was also given an unnecessary title change in the American release, are supposed to be amazing action movies (for different reasons) that I need to arrange to see. Then again, I haven't even seen Ong Bak 2 yet.
« Last Edit: <03-08-12/1129:57> by James Meiers »

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-08-12/1435:07> »
Excellent - another movie to add to the list!!

AJC

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #4 on: <03-08-12/1907:19> »
Ooooh! Papa liiiiike!

Aside from all the other awesome going on, seeing a film featuring Pencak Silat is enough to get me excited all by itself. The style doesn't get nearly enough love from the media for how dang awesome it is.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-09-12/1305:52> »
http://theraid-movie.blogspot.com/

behind the scenes info, production notes, etc.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-16-12/2059:45> »
This clip is amazing, and there are links to more on YouTube. http://www.thehighdefinite.com/2012/03/the-raid-4-on-one/

I also love that Pajiba's review title is "Holy Shit" because Holy Shit! This is going to be amazing.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #7 on: <04-25-12/0045:10> »
Literally the best action movie ever made.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-25-12/0122:15> »
Goddamn it. It's been out for a week and a half and I still haven't had time to see it.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #9 on: <04-25-12/0132:30> »
Go! Go Now! You must see this!

Storyline... its ok... action etc is epic.  This movie has about 10 minutes of downtime where someone isnt trying to kill someone else.  10 minutes spread over 2 hours of extreme volience.

Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-25-12/0150:32> »
It doesn't help that it's at two theaters across the city from each other and of the four showings total, it's scheduled at some weird times. The earliest is at 10:35 AM ??? .

This movie has about 10 minutes of downtime where someone isnt trying to kill someone else.
Boooooooo!

That's ten minutes too many.
« Last Edit: <04-25-12/0152:34> by James Meiers »

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <04-25-12/0217:50> »
You need those 10 minutes..  Gear and prep montages, plus at least some epilogue (unless the movie ends with the hero being killed, that would remove the need for a non-volient book end).

We've had The Raid for about a month here, but maybe thats a location thing, being next door neighbours to Indonesia.  It was even a moderatly crowded cinema on a saturday afternoon.  My gf loved it.  But I think it did fairly well here in Australia, and it is a good, tight movie for its very limited budget.  Well made, every minute counts.  Would even make good shadowrun inspiration material, what with the constant and varied combats and the ultimate shadowrun nature of the story...

Find a way James, find a way.. or wait for the dvd release..  either is good :)
Perception molds reality

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-25-12/0227:38> »
I haven't seen a movie in a theater since late 2008. This is the one movie I want to see in a theater. However, unlike your situation I live in a medium-sized city where The Raid is basically considered a limited-release art movie. It'll probably be gone by this Friday (or definitely next Friday when Avengers is released).

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <04-25-12/0241:44> »
Avengers next Friday? OMG :).

I remember the days where a movie would be out in the US months before they came to Australia.  TV series were worse, with year gaps.

But now the Raid was out last month and Avengers tomorrow (midnight if I was younger and dumber)...  The world has changed, it really has...

I would not be surprised if it was still a cultural thing.  My city only has 300,000 people (not sure how that rates in the US), but being closer to Asia or something similar, we do tend to get a fair number of asian movies in our cinimas.  Now european movies?  only if its British or an American remake :)

Perception molds reality

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-25-12/0350:40> »
The non-US market is more important for Hollywood than America is, especially on big blockbusters that translate easily because they mostly consist of crap interspersed between "Ooooh... Explosions!," e.g. Battleship opening #1 in 22 of 24 nations. There is an understanding (or speculation, anyway) that they were released overseas first because it's a way to undercut foreign piracy because, well, see the previous sentence.