NEWS

Your plans with No Future?

• 44 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #30 on: <02-20-19/2323:49> »
...now Elves in basketball actually makes a fair amount of sense, more agile, slightly taller than humans on average. I could see Orks doing well at positions like center and guard.   

Interesting that in Shadowbeat, The TT's favourite sport was a fairly brutal one, Hurling.  I've watched Hurling matches in RL and it's like hockey on grass without pads, helmets, or many penalties.  Even makes Aussie Football and Rugby look tame.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <02-21-19/0326:37> »
Hurling is also mentioned in No Future with a focus on the violence, both on the field (reasonable contact should be expected) and off the field (fans bring hurling sticks to be signed + in Tir many fans having received mandatory peace time training including pain compliance and fighting with batons that look similar to hurling sticks)

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #32 on: <02-21-19/0407:52> »
...so in that respect, little has changed.  Think I'll deal with bugs in the CZ instead, thank you.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #33 on: <02-21-19/0646:29> »
I think the only sport that really changed is baseball.
And you have some newcomers like E-Sports.

Sports in No Future (either a single sport or a category including multiple sports)
- Baseball
- Basketball
- Combat Biker
- Courtball
- Drone Racing
- Duello Magicae
- E-Sports
- Football
- Hockey
- Hoverball
- Hurling
- Martial Arts
- Piloted Racing
- The true football (soccer)
- Stickball
- Urban Brawl

Wenlocke

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <02-21-19/0722:57> »
...so in that respect, little has changed.  Think I'll deal with bugs in the CZ instead, thank you.

Before she retired, my mother used to work in an office attached to a factory that had a couple of guys who would fly over to Ireland every few weekends to play Hurling. They'd get back in Monday morning looking like they'd been in a war zone, and come off second-best.

Give me a nice sedate bar brawl any day.
Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #35 on: <02-21-19/0727:51> »
I think the only sport that really changed is baseball.
And you have some newcomers like E-Sports.

Sports in No Future (either a single sport or a category including multiple sports)
- Baseball
- Basketball
- Combat Biker
- Courtball
- Drone Racing
- Duello Magicae
- E-Sports
- Football
- Hockey
- Hoverball
- Hurling
- Martial Arts
- Piloted Racing
- The true football (soccer)
- Stickball
- Urban Brawl
Ice hockey and 'speed hockey' which is really something quite different.

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <02-21-19/0752:51> »
As I said some of them are categories.
Martial Arts for example includes everything from fencing, to sumo, to fully cybered cage matches.
Hockey includes both speed and ice hockey.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <02-21-19/1139:09> »
As I recall, the ancient Aztec sport of ullamaliztli has also been revived in Aztlán and Amazonia. So it probably has a decent following in the rest of South America and the southwest NAN states.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <02-21-19/1151:21> »
Jailai's also super-popular in Aztlan, but cyber-augmentations have made it kind of terrifying.

Wenlocke

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <02-21-19/1351:31> »
Jailai's also super-popular in Aztlan, but cyber-augmentations have made it kind of terrifying.

and suddenly I wonder if the movement of people people throughout south and southeast Asia brought Kabaddi with it (ans just how odd it can get with super-agile and/or super-deep breathing players)
Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <02-21-19/1422:35> »
Buzkashi is essentially Combat Biker on horseback, so I could see some form of Kabaddi evolving into a cyber-sport...
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #41 on: <03-01-19/1740:49> »
Picked up my copy of No Future, yesterday, and I already have plans. Lump me in with the "folks who loved the hell out of Shadowbeat", and until No Future my favourite supplement so far for 5e was probably Market Panic. More than anything, it's the details of the Shadowrun world that attract me to the game and I'll throw money at anything that gives me more on the daily life and the stuff outside running the shadows. Those sessions where my players are just living out the quiet and personal dramas of their own lives are the sessions I love to run the most. A couple of the PCs in my campaign are big trid watchers. Neil The Ork Barbarian is very popular (two of them also regularly play the MMO Age of Neil: Barbarian Adventures), and Karl Kombat Mage gets a mention from time to time. Between myself and the players we've made up some trids to add to the world like 'Drone Wars' and 'Gunhaver and the Shadow Commandos', but having some canon series with details all made up is lovely and I'm already planning to have my players recruited for a special episode of Berlin Nights shot on location in Seattle. What brings Wolfgang Richter to the UCAS? Who knows! Who cares! What matters is the runners are gunna be on trid, provided they keep Wolfgang alive.

My campaign also takes place against the lead up to the Seattle Olympcs and some of the sports info gives a helpful insight into how the Olympics may have changed by whatever year we're in. I forget. Anyway, it seems team sports are the minority of events in the Olympics* but some of them get some coverage in No Future and that's good plot fodder. The closer we get to the olympics, the more need there will be for some friendly competitive sabotage between nations.

*I think. Honestly, I've haven't watched the Olympics since 1996 when it replaced my morning cartoons and meant I couldn't watch Scooby-Doo. I've had a grudge ever since.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #42 on: <03-09-19/2253:31> »
*I think. Honestly, I've haven't watched the Olympics since 1996 when it replaced my morning cartoons and meant I couldn't watch Scooby-Doo. I've had a grudge ever since.

LMAO.    Now that's my kind of grudge!

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <03-09-19/2255:05> »
Picked up my copy of No Future, yesterday, and I already have plans. Lump me in with the "folks who loved the hell out of Shadowbeat", and until No Future my favourite supplement so far for 5e was probably Market Panic.

A tad off-topic, but what did you like in particular about Market Panic?

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #44 on: <03-10-19/1442:28> »
Picked up my copy of No Future, yesterday, and I already have plans. Lump me in with the "folks who loved the hell out of Shadowbeat", and until No Future my favourite supplement so far for 5e was probably Market Panic.

A tad off-topic, but what did you like in particular about Market Panic?
I freakin' loved the first chapter and its detailed view into corp drone life in the 2070s. All those side bars with popular trids and matrix destinations were great additions to our 6th World pop culture knowledge. The chapter was even presented in a fun way.

I liked seeing what the major divisions and major subsidiaries within the megas were. Even without lots of details it is handy to have the names for when I am planning a run.

I loved the sections some corp write ups had about what it is like running for and against the individual corps and wish they all had that.