NEWS

Spirits and Skill caps

• 18 Replies

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <09-08-10/2103:56> »
It is a fine line between beating down a character for success and letting them unbalancing the game with the summoning of high force spirits. One way is to up the power/abilities of the foes he is facing. You start to show the major mojo and you get promoted to the big show. With all of its advantages and problems.

Another thing is throw a nemesis who is also good at summoning or banishing at the mage to keep knocking down the spirits

Of course with shadowrun to be very good at something you are not as good at something else, so make them have to worry about their weaknesses.  
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <09-08-10/2211:24> »
Never thought it was such a good idea to punish your player for having a successful character. I also think that if you are able to summon a force 10 spirit without any drain damage, you are worthy of praise, not of being squashed by your own summon. But that's only my opinion. ;)
No no no, never punish them for having a good character, punish them for being a crappy role player. (Ex. if they summon Force 12 Spirit and treat it with respect and dignity, things go smoothly, if you slap it around like your personal whore, expect to have your face eaten off.)
It is a fine line between beating down a character for success and letting them unbalancing the game with the summoning of high force spirits. One way is to up the power/abilities of the foes he is facing. You start to show the major mojo and you get promoted to the big show. With all of its advantages and problems.

Another thing is throw a nemesis who is also good at summoning or banishing at the mage to keep knocking down the spirits

Of course with shadowrun to be very good at something you are not as good at something else, so make them have to worry about their weaknesses.  

I agree with both of you.
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Jonny Reload

• Newb
  • The guns go PEW PEW PEW!
« Reply #17 on: <09-09-10/0533:29> »
Shadowwalker: Plain and simple answer with no confusion, NO spirits are not capped at 6 for Skills, they are capped at what ever Force they are. (pg. 302 of SR4A)

You can in theory have a a Spirit with a Skill Rating of 12 in everything if you Summon a Force 12 Spirit (which you can do with just a Magic of 6, but it would be considered overcasting so the drain would be Physical Damage.) In short, it's not hard to summon a Force 12 Spirit, you just need to make sure you've got your Foci, Specializations, etc. all prepared and lined up because if you knock out due to Phys Damage.... Eeep  :D
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."
-Agent Smith from The Matrix

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <09-09-10/1644:04> »
Personally, I do cap Task spirits at 7 for their Technical skills, but that's just a roleplay thing - it doesn't really seem right that spirits would be that much better at making things than metahumans.

Everything else - no cap.