NEWS

Aresenal- The A-Team and utter silly randomness

• 38 Replies

Welshman

• Newb
« on: <10-21-10/1608:33> »
So I've just gotten to the modification section of Arsenal (Yes I read rule books cover to cover and soak them in).

As I began to read the modification section my mind mentally started playing the theme from the old A-Team series (Unitied States, 1980's, go wiki it). Which led me to thinking that the A-Team were the first Shadowrunners, before there were shadows to run in.

Now I have a sudden urge to build the A-Team as a group of Shadowrunners.

My guess is it's already been done though. Right? I mean come on, I'm not the only 40 something that grew up watching that horribly campy show, right?
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-21-10/1617:34> »
Yes... A-Team been tossed around as a great Shadowrun show.

The FIRST Shadowrun show, IMO, is still Mission: Impossible.

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <10-21-10/1627:15> »

Ah yes, but the MI team was a government team, so by definition they are not Runners. Runners are outside the system, working for the system.
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <10-21-10/1629:14> »
Leverage is another great Shadowrun show!

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #4 on: <10-21-10/1645:51> »
"I pity the fool"
"I just love it when a plan comes together"

I grew up on the A Team.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <10-21-10/1649:17> »

Ah yes, but the MI team was a government team, so by definition they are not Runners. Runners are outside the system, working for the system.
Not so... The agents do work for the IMF, but that's not their day job (no matter what Tom Cruise & his movies say). They don't make as big a deal later in the series, but early on, the agents are called in for the specific skill sets. For instance, Cinnamon Carter was actually a top fashion model and actress in between missions. (The others also had glamorous lives.)

If anything, they were Prime Runners living Luxury lifestyles.

(And, yes, Leverage is truly awesome.)

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <10-21-10/1710:21> »

Not so... The agents do work for the IMF, but that's not their day job (no matter what Tom Cruise & his movies say). They don't make as big a deal later in the series, but early on, the agents are called in for the specific skill sets. For instance, Cinnamon Carter was actually a top fashion model and actress in between missions. (The others also had glamorous lives.)

If anything, they were Prime Runners living Luxury lifestyles.

(And, yes, Leverage is truly awesome.)

Okay, so even the government can hire Runners, I'll give you that and you are spot on that the old days they had day jobs, but I always thought of that as covers, like in I Spy.

I can see the connection though and agree, that in the spirit of it all, IMF were the first Runners.
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Frostriese

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <10-21-10/2149:31> »
(Unitied States, 1980's, go wiki it).

Man, dont make me feel old. The A-Team isnt that old, and everybody knows what it is, right? Right?

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #8 on: <10-21-10/2336:03> »
Well, there was a movie that came out recently. So they should.
la vida no vale nada

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <10-21-10/2337:27> »
Wait, that movie was based off some old TV Show???

Just kidding!

Rigger_Joe

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-21-10/2354:51> »
It makes me sad when people refer to the 80s as the "old days". I swear I was just there in the 80s.

However, whenever our rigger or hacker is jury-rigging something in-game I may happen to play the theme to Macgyver. It made me sad that 1 or 2 players didn't know the music.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #11 on: <10-22-10/0009:05> »
Leverage is another great Shadowrun show!

Doubly so (IMHO) because its never about blasting their way in and there's always an emotional payoff, not just a monetary one. These guys do illegal things, but they do it subtly and for a good cause. The former is a good example of how not to get corporate strike teams out for your blood, the latter is a throwback to the "punk" part of Cyberpunk where the supposedly powerless can make a difference.

See also Burn Notice.

Its also worth noting that all of the series being discussed really only have one heavy combat guy each. The rest are faces, infiltrators, hackers, wheelmen etc.

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <10-22-10/0125:04> »
It makes me sad when people refer to the 80s as the "old days". I swear I was just there in the 80s.

However, whenever our rigger or hacker is jury-rigging something in-game I may happen to play the theme to Macgyver. It made me sad that 1 or 2 players didn't know the music.

I work in Silicon Valley, home of high tech. Earlier this year I was working with some UI designers and I made a Pentium Floating Point joke.

They all just stared at me blankly.

I felt so old...
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #13 on: <10-22-10/1625:27> »
As I am... What's Pentium Floating Point? I feel old a lot too, it's sad when I'm listening to music I grew up too and hear "Oh my dad listens to that". :'(
la vida no vale nada

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <10-22-10/1946:26> »
As I am... What's Pentium Floating Point?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

Silicon Valley legend. Intel handled it about as well as Toyota handled the recent accelerator recall.
The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer